Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Question: Telling people about your training

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Question: Telling people about your training

quote Jeremy Stafford:

As long as he promises not to use Krav on an Ump that makes a bad call.:OhMy:

My pitch to him was a little different. How are you gonna protect yourself from the parents:dunno: As funny as that is, there is a lot of truth in it

blindfold

I don’t have a problem with talking about KM, but at the same time I don’t advertise. The people at my work know, for the same reasons, stated above.

When I walk in and have bruises and or aches/pains, someone tends to ask. :chair:

If asked I will tell people about it and the funniest part is them saying KravMaga. Man can they butcher a word. One of my coworkers still can’t say it right and he has watched different TV shows on it.

I did have an experience with walking through the mall and someone telling me that they loved my shirt. I had just finished class and had to stop for a gift for a party the next morning. It was part of the honey-do list. That lets you know who is paying attention. thumbsup

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

Oh well the intellegent ones always agree with me

That’s true…

cmetalman

The downside for me having too many people knowing I was doing Krav, was that they would think I WANTED to get into fights, I’d have family/friends calling me to “Krav” someones a$$ whenever they got into some kind of altercation,would be as stupid as an argument with a neighbor.I took Krav to learn how to defend myself, if I wanted to fight I’d take up mma and maybe get paid for it.

trish

quote Miriam:

MDM: I am a female litigator in a very male-dominated area of practice. I have found that letting it “slip” to counsel that I train and instruct in KM (of course, while failing to disclose that up until a few weeks ago, I instructed only KM Fitness and I am just now beginning to Assist in L1 classes), seems to carry some helpful ‘weight’ in my practice, in that for some reason guys just tend to take me a little more seriously. :dunno: That’s not to say that in any way shape or form, I imply that if they don’t “play my way” I’ll kick their a$$ – although I have to admit, I’ve secretly been tempted on a few occasions! rofl2

In addition, letting my co-workers know what I do has not only earned me just a tad more respect (I suppose the partners I work for see it as another facet of being disciplined and committed to something), but it’s also earned me the nickname “Bruiser”. :OhMy:

I’m in agreement with Miriam on this one. I’m an accountant and most of my clients and colleagues are men. Walking into a client’s office with bruises all over and then explaining how I got them seems to have led to my bills getting paid faster and lower receivables. I think they’re now afraid that I might beat them if they don’t pay up! rofl2

Training in Krav as well as the network of folks I’m becoming associated with is something I’m very proud and fortunate to be a part of. I’m not going to try to hide that.

People I work with have very little interest. My wife actually has more fun letting it slip than I do.

I try to encourage all my friends to get involved. On the other hand, I really don’t like bringing it up in a situation that has the possibility of turning volitile (bar, party, etc etc etc). I’ve mentioned it a few of times… mostly had no negative response, but every now and again, you have some insecure drunk, tough guy, etc etc etc who overhears and wants to bust out with the old “so you think you could kick my ass?” line. It’s usualy pretty easy to difuse the situation by laughing it off and throwing in a clever joke, but still not worth the hassle. Now I just keep my mouth shut unless I’m actively trying to talk a friend into joining up.

Additionaly, it’s nice to have it as a suprise to anyone who turns out to be an actual threat.

unstpabl1

quote Nickolas Cook:

People I work with have very little interest. My wife actually has more fun letting it slip than I do.

Thats one of the traps. You shouldn’t tell you wife either:wav:

brewerm

:chair:I have had to tell my boss since I am able to attend a class during lunch on M, W, F and the bruises kind of freak people out. I am new and my knuckles were very scraped up but I had to exhibit at a trade show where my demonstrations would show my hands. I put bandaids on all my knuckles but still felt self conscious about them. My wife wants to “brag” on me but for me it’s about fitness the self defense piece is just a bonus.

mike-p

So interesting that this thread was started recently, because this exact situation just happened to me. I started a new job last week (I’m a litigator too). My new firm is about six blocks from where I train, so I brought my gear with me to work this morning. Someone came by my office, noticed the giant bag, and said “What’s that?”

I tried to explain what KM is, how it’s different from karate, etc., and why I came to work with a bag full of head gear and boxing gloves. So naturally, his initial response is “So, can you, like, kick everyone’s ass?” What do you say to that? “Yeah, now get me some ****ing coffee NOW!” ?

brewerm

quote Mike P:

So interesting that this thread was started recently, because this exact situation just happened to me. I started a new job last week (I’m a litigator too). My new firm is about six blocks from where I train, so I brought my gear with me to work this morning. Someone came by my office, noticed the giant bag, and said “What’s that?”

I tried to explain what KM is, how it’s different from karate, etc., and why I came to work with a bag full of head gear and boxing gloves. So naturally, his initial response is “So, can you, like, kick everyone’s ass?” What do you say to that? “Yeah, now get me some ****ing coffee NOW!” ?

My kids who are 17, 19 & 20 are SHOCKED that I am doing this thumbsup but I definately need to do something for physical fitness and stress relief

unstpabl1

quote Mike P:

I’d suggest you start hanging with a brighter and higher class of people. I’d suggest joining a 1%er biker gang;): I heard the H/A were even financing bikes to prospects at the moment. Be sure to wear your krav shirtrofl2

brewerm

quote unstpabl1:

I’d suggest you start hanging with a brighter and higher class of people. I’d suggest joining a 1%er biker gang;): I heard the H/A were even financing bikes to prospects at the moment. Be sure to wear your krav shirtrofl2

And I will make sure that I knock over all the bikes in the parking lot before I call them all a bunch of cowardly pansies and that all of them together couldn’t wipe my shoes (right before I RUN LIKE HELL)!!! That will ensure that my cardio workouts will not be in vain

unstpabl1

quote brewerm:

And I will make sure that I knock over all the bikes in the parking lot before I call them all a bunch of cowardly pansies and that all of them together couldn’t wipe my shoes (right before I RUN LIKE HELL)!!! That will ensure that my cardio workouts will not be in vain

I’ve seen dumber things . Like the 100lb kid who tells the 300lb fully colored wearing biker in front of his 50 brothers to move cause he was there 1st:OhMy: Then can’t figure out he’s in trouble. Least your smart enough to get some cardio inrofl2

Anything that gets you away from lawyers and politicians is a step in the right directionthumbsup

blindfold

My manager know that I take KM. He is always out at the bars. I on the other hand am with the family and training. He will get into it with someone and think of calling me or something along that lines. So I have advised him on numerous occasions that if he calls me I will only be there to help drag him to his car, call the ambulance, or watch him get a serious beatdown. Of course, I will choose whichever is the most entertaining.

When some people find out they feel like that have to either see what you can do or try to push you into a fight. I usuaully laugh and walk away. Carefully walk away

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: