Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Taking Level 1 test – finally!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    kravjeff

Re:

quote \”vwr32\:

Gonna cut back on some of the potassium tho. Just read about hyperkalemia. Seems 2,000 – 3,000 mg per day is target range but there’s no RDA established for it… and a lot comes from food normally. Right now I’m about 5,000 mg on the whole bottle of v8 juice alone lol. This is the part where I end up using myself as a test case rofl. Don’t follow me, i’m dangerous. 😆
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/h/hyperkalemia.htm

Provided you’re generally in good health, have normal renal (kidney) function and stay hydrated, it’s nearly impossible to become hyperkalemic to where it’s clinically relevant. If you’re diabetic, have renal insufficiency or the like, then you should be careful.

I wouldn’t worry about overdosing on V8 and food 😉

mara-jade

Wanted to wish all the best. I know one thing that helped us on our level one test (recommended by our instructors ) was to seriously carb up the night before. We headed to our favorite steak house and went to town 😆

Yeah, bring extra shirts, big towel, and yeah DON’T STOP! Great way to piss off the instructors 😀

maskedkat

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! Today is the big day. I’ve been hydrating all week, got a good night’s sleep, and have Gatorade and water to take with me. I’ll grab a power bar just in case, too.

I’ll let you all know how it goes once my arms are in proper working order.

mara-jade

KICK A$$!! You’ll be fine but don’t be surprised if you don’t get back to us until sometime tomorrow 😆 . I expecti you’ll be sleeping it all off 🙂

unstpabl1

Re:

[quote=\”vwr32stuff.

Agreed unstpable1, there are sources for both. It wasn’t an attack on what you were saying, just highlighting sources that say avoiding caffeine because of hydration may not help at all. I know absolutely nothing about gout, but if it’s potassium you’re after low sodium v8 is packed with it.
    D[/quote]

Trust me on this, you don’t want to know anything about gout 😉 Until you posted I didn’t think there was any conterversy on caffiene being a diuretic. I thought it was a nobrainer. You made me look it up. It was like being in the middle of a religious debate. So who knows. Bought a bottle of v8 today

vwr32

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

Bought a bottle of v8 today

Yummy huh? 😆 If I drank alcohol, I’d be tempted to put a little vodka in it… the alcohol would dehydrate me, but i’m sure the nutritional benefits of a Bloody Mary made with low sodium V8 make for a tough choice when considering the balance between healthy lifestyle and entertaining social life. Right now I have none of the latter, but that’s by choice.

With the good news from kravjeff about less risk of OD from v8 (lol), I’m gonna keep the lower sodium stuff as part of a daily intake… although a little less. I found sites that recommend 1.5 grams to 6 grams of potassium. Some say you really only need to watch it if you have kidney problems (like kravjeff said), others didn’t included the distinction and warned that too much can cause heart problems. I’m probably pushing 10,000 mg with a full bottle plus food… but I haven’t had any soreness after workouts.

The regular v8 would taste better, but that much sodium is crazy.

Off Topic: I was at a gas station buying a bottle of low sodium v8. I buy them there a lot, so this time the cashier asks, \”Is that stuff any good?\”
    I replied, \”Not really. But it’s good for you.\”
    She said (country accent intentional), \”I don’t eat nuthin’ that don’t taste good.\”
    I couldn’t help but notice she would probably constitute being morbidly obese and her cigs were behind her on the counter. I found it both sad and amusing at the same time… because I try to avoid the things I think taste best (as far as junk food goes). Watch her outlive me too.

Mara_jade… carbing up is something I love to do for races the night before. Not sure if it works, but it gives me an excuse to go out to eat. For me I go with asian pasta dishes like kung pow shrimp. Now I’m hungry again… might have to schedule a workout for tomorrow so I have an excuse 😆

Man that was a hell of a thing. After having an almost broken nose, forearm, wrist, and ribs, I think I did alright…The only bad part was when I got home, I layed down in bed, I was so exhausted I couldn’t fall asleep. Weird. Other than that, I’m off to get my well-deserved margarita.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”Aggie Kravist\:

Man that was a hell of a thing. After having an almost broken nose, forearm, wrist, and ribs, I think I did alright…The only bad part was when I got home, I layed down in bed, I was so exhausted I couldn’t fall asleep. Weird. Other than that, I’m off to get my well-deserved margarita.

Congrats Aggie and welcome to level 2~

maskedkat

Congrats, Aggie!

I just got home from my test. Wow. 2 hours of seminar (mixed combatives, choke defenses) then an hour of intensive practice and then: The Test. I achieved my tripartite goal of not puking, not passing out, and finishing strong!

I have never enjoyed a shower and a cold beer as much as I did tonight. And I’ve got a 90-minute massage scheduled for tomorrow. Provided I am able to climb up on the massage table.

Thanks for all the support!!!

unstpabl1

congratulations guys. Great job. That massage sounds scary, but the only massage I’ve ever had is deep tissue. That hurts till you get up 3 days later

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

congratulations guys. Great job. That massage sounds scary, but the only massage I’ve ever had is deep tissue. That hurts till you get up 3 days later

Deep tissue, of course! I luvs me a deep tissue massage. And my massage guy is a Shaolin dude.

mara-jade

Congrats you two..Sounds like y’all did great! 😀

Bet it felt great but at the same time ‘what the @#$@ was I thinking’ 😆

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

[
    Deep tissue, of course! I luvs me a deep tissue massage. And my massage guy is a Shaolin dude.

Is Shaolin code for cute shirtless muscular Asian guy? 😉 😆

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

[

Ha!!!
    No, he’s a white guy. He keeps his shirt on. The point is, he is strong as hell! And he studied at a Shaolin temple for awhile.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

quote \”unstpabl1\:

quote \”MaskedKat\:

[

Ha!!!
    No, he’s a white guy. He keeps his shirt on. The point is, he is strong as hell! And he studied at a Shaolin temple for awhile.

So he’s a cute strong caucasian. I know how the fantasy game is played 😛

Hope you aren’t too sore to drive the car. The massage sounds like a brilliant idea. I should have told you to ice yourself as soon as you got home and to do it like you had a sprain. 15 minutes every hour as needed. Helps a lot. Contrast showers help as well. Though if you net read there is contreversy about the effectiveness of icing and ice baths as far as being effective. My expirience is they work. Besides NFL guys have been using them forever. They have less than a week to recover for the next event

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: