Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

What is with this growing trend of KMWW instructors teaching people to punch with vertical fists? I have seen this more and more over the past few years? Whats the deal?

kevinmack

Re: Vertical punches??

and I am not talking about angled punches during self defense techniques..I am talking straight up wing chun style punches taught as the basic KM punch

bear34

quote KevinMack:

What is with this growing trend of KMWW instructors teaching people to punch with vertical fists? I have seen this more and more over the past few years? Whats the deal?

Can you show an example Kevin? I train in IKMF myself and don’t always see technique differences when I train with KMWW folk, but there definately seems to be a different mindset.

PS: I have very much enjoyed your videos.

kevinmack
    bear34

That’s interesting. IKMF teaches 45 degree angle on fist.

stuartf

I train at a KMWW licensee and our instructors tend to not mention anything about that angle unless someone asks. Then they say turning it over horizontal is better but don’t worry about it until you get the more important parts of the form down (twisting at the waist, pushing off the back foot). It can be hard to remember after training for a while that throwing a strong punch isn’t something that comes naturally to most people.

It was a punch I learned in Muay Thai and I really began to appreciate its effectiveness as a very fast, difficult to read punch. The idea behind leaving the hand vertical is that A. It takes a fraction of a second less time to make contact because there’s only forward motion, no rotation; B. it is slightly more difficult to read because of the lack of rotation; C. makes contact at a slightly different angle, and may be easier to execute for some with shoulder problems. For quickness, try punching a heavy bag/partner-held pad as fast as you can using a rotating punch technique, and try it with the non-rotating technique. You’ll see that it is faster.

dww6200

I’m new to this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this site?
    http://f95b295mmren1s0f0xaaodniyo.hop.clickbank.net/

don

quote dww6200:

I’m new to this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this site?
    http://f95b295mmren1s0f0xaaodniyo.hop.clickbank.net/

why do I get the feeling this is spam? 😛

mara-jade

quote Don:

why do I get the feeling this is spam? 😛

Looks like it to me too:thunbsdown:

don

As far as the vertical fist goes – I haven’t personally experienced anyone teaching that it is the “preferred” or “only” punching (fist) technique. Personally, I will show people vertical, canted (e.g. 45 degrees), horizontal, and past horizontal – tell them to try each and see what they prefer. For me, 45 degrees feels pretty natural/comfortable…

mara-jade

I was taught ‘straight’ and at the 45 degree angle. Personally I don’t punch totally great as I have a knuckle missing so I tend to use palm strikes. I made a newbie puke one time with my palm strikes when she held the tombstone for me:D:

don

You big bully! lol Do you think it was because she had too much food in her or because the shock waves rattled her brain and made her nauseous?

mara-jade

You got me man. I’m just a petite 5’2” Mexirican. I was only going like 50% since she was a newbie:D:

kevinmack

I noticed this trend a while ago but it came to my attention recently when someone visited my school who trained at a KMWW school in the Bay Area and he was surprised that we didnt punch with a vertical fist as he said thats what he was taught and he was a yellow belt. Then last night someone who visited a KM school in the midwest was shown the same thing. Seems like its getting more common. I think its fine to teach it as an option but to call it a “Krav Maga straight punch” is misleading.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: