Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why does everyone not like Krav Maga?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    speirs

All I keep hearing about is, oh, KM uses Situational Response which is an if/then philosophy and doesnt work, oh, KM is taught to military but they don’t use hand to hand, oh, KM is bull…blah blah blah. Any solid way to disprove such things? I honestly can’t see why people dislike it so much.

emil

are you asking because you feel insecure about it yourself? people naturally promote whatever they spend their time and money on. the way to disprove is to stick to what you like to do and let the critics continue to run their mouths instead of training.

calicogirl

Pfft – try being female and most every guy that talks to me that is into some martial art form wants to spar. \”You can’t take me down, because I am like 6’1 and weight 250.\” If I hear this one more time I will scream.

Then they have issues if I wear shoes, and grapple, and claw, and bite and knee them in the face, or elbow them in the throat..

Is this just me because I’m female and cute? Or do the guys get this also?

Is this the pissing contest I always heard about?

kravjeff

\”the way to disprove is to stick to what you like to do and let the critics continue to run their mouths instead of training.\”

There is one other way:

KICK THEIR TKD / KUNG FU – I BOUGHT MY BLACK BELT AT A STRIP MALL ASS!!!

😆

Kidding of course (kinda ;)) I respect, though don’t know much about or have experience with all of the \”arts.\” However, I attended a seminar recently where there were people from a wide variety of disciplines all training together. I left there with a new, profound respect for other systems, and I think that at least a few of the others (the ones I trained closely with) had a new respect for KM as well. One thing I learned, is that while not all systems are great self defense / fighting systems, there is good and bad in all (no bad in KM though 😛 ) and there were kids (and adults) there doing things I could never dream of doing. Now, I’d meet most of them in an alley without being worried about getting kicked in the head 15 times in 2 seconds, but it was still very impressive to see what they were capable of.

I agree with Emil – While I agree that it can be frustrating, find what you love and strive to master it – Who cares what the dojo down the street says.?.?.?

clfmak

I’m not here to step on any toes, but the question was posed and I’ll take a stab at it. I am also not here to agree with the criticism- the krav maga instructors I’ve worked with taught some of the best classes I’ve ever seen. A lot of criticism comes from the marketing that is used- being linked to Israeli military and all. Look at the Moni Azik stuff- its called Commando Krav Maga, and in the videos he’s wearing camoflage pants. It can be a bit like the videos from TRS advertizing the latest deadliest style. This is also coupled to the opposite perception- that krav maga is the new trendy martial art for frail celebrity models and soccer moms like tae bo.
    The second point is related to the technical side. Responses like this:
    \”Then they have issues if I wear shoes, and grapple, and claw, and bite and knee them in the face, or elbow them in the throat.\” are seen as a cop out- our style is too deadly for your unrealistic sparring- I would clearly win with my eye gouging and such. I’m not denying that these things work- but they can lead towards a completely untestable fighting system. In my experience (and I’m not 6’1 and 250), when a smaller opponent tries these tactics, it will hasten the match to the point of danger (for both people- submissions become hurried in an attempt to stop the offending techniques and become more dangerous). People trained in these grappling styles will be quick to point out that shoes, clawing, biting and throat attacks have a poor track record in vale tudo and aren’t a substitute to knwing how to grapple. Try to look at it from the opposite perspective- what would you think if someone belittled krav maga for using only punching techniques that could easily be defeated by someone who knows how to double leg someone else. That would be very ignorant and it would be obvious that they don’t know what they’re talking about. Conversely, others find it disrespectful when a krav/other stylist says that grappling can be easilly defeated with our basic techniques. If everybody respected each other , learned their art well before they speak as an expert, know other arts before you talk about them as an expert, and train hard things would be a lot better.
    Lastly, people bash krav maga because that’s what people do on the Internet. There’s not a single style that is bashed for its ineffectiveness- BJJ, muay thai, karate, TKD, kali etc. Like Emil mentioned, people that are insecure have to justify their training by saying that its better than something else. If it works for you and you enjoy it, that’s all that matters.

mara-jade

I definitely respect everyone else’s arts, regardless of what it is. They bust their butts to learn it and train hard.

Like calicogirl, I hate when people don’t respect what I train in. I know someone who trains in karate. They took a look the krav DVDS and concluded the difference between Krav and Karate is mine is just ‘the finishing moves’ OMG – I wanted to friggin strangle this person 😡 .

You know what – that’s ok. It was a gathering and I wasn’t going to stoop and make waves – not worth it.

I’m happy I know KM and will continue to learn it even if it’s just to get better and that’s it. Getting a belt is awesome but that’s not the ultimate goal. 😀

greenbeanie

Re: Why does everyone not like Krav Maga?

[Speirs] \”I honestly can’t see why people dislike it so much.\”

I would qualify that statement by saying, \”…SOME people dislike it…\”

There are at least seven worldwide KM organizations/associations consisting of people that DO like. And that’s the bottom line.

greenbeanie

Re:

[CLFMak] \”If everybody respected each other , learned their art well before they speak as an expert, know other arts before you talk about them as an expert, and train hard things would be a lot better.\”

I’ll second that.

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”calicogirl\:

Pfft – try being female and most every guy that talks to me that is into some martial art form wants to spar. \”…

Is this just me because I’m female and cute? Or do the guys get this also?

They don’t want to spar. They wanna nail ya! 😉

anonymous

Commando Krav Maga isn’t real KM by the way. Moni Aizik teaches mostly Judo techniques, but then changed the name of his system from \”Combat Survival\” to \”Commando Krav Maga\”, probably because it sells better.

Marketing can be a problem, though. If KM is advertised too much as a fitness system or a fun way to lose weight, it may lose credibility with some people, even though at its core it really is a great system.

rick-prado

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Commando Krav Maga isn’t real KM by the way. Moni Aizik teaches mostly Judo techniques, but then changed the name of his system from \”Combat Survival\” to \”Commando Krav Maga\”, probably because it sells better.

Marketing can be a problem, though. If KM is advertised too much as a fitness system or a fun way to lose weight, it may lose credibility with some people, even though at its core it really is a great system.

There you go again. 😆

Moni does have a lot of judo in it, and I guess he made his own sytle, incorporating Krav/Judo together. Some of it I like, some I don’t like anything else.

As to all the stuff about him developing Krav. we’ll never know I guess.

In response to the initial post, go to any forum/school that is not Krav and they will only pump up their style/scholl as the best.

Take it for what it’s worth.
    I trained with a Ninjitsu guys once, who claimed to have gone to Japan and trained with the GM.

While his students were going thru their forms, I was whacking them on the head, going for a takedown.

anonymous

Ooops, sorry… 😳

About Moni, I don’t think there is much to support the claim. No pictures, no documents, plus he claims to have invented KM as we know it today, but the KM we know today (and the KM shown in Imi’s book) is very different from what he teaches. So, I don’t know. I’m sure he was a good soldier, Judo champion etc, but \”one of the founders of KM\”, hmmm, I’m skeptical.

kmcat

Everyone will get into \”chest bumping\” matches about things they have a investment in (mental, money, emotions, etc.) — I see it with programming languages in my profession.

I will say this though, I was picking up a book for my son’s english class at the book store tonight and I stopped by the magazine rack and was flipping through a issue of Black Belt magazine. It had an article about adapting your martial arts style for the \”real world\”. For every point it covered it was; \”Hmm, my KM training already does that\”.

One in particular I thought was amusing. I don’t recall the wording exactly, it was like: \”Many beginners don’t know what it is like to really hit something, incorporate some use of a strike pad or focus mitts in your training\” — HA! my first class in KM was strike, strike, strike, until you drop. Every class has striking real targets hard (and you get \”encouraged\” to strke harder!!), and the fitness classes typically include some more striking, only faster.

jburtonpdx

Its already been said in this thread – each style/technique has its own pros and cons. Much of it boils down to consistent training, conditioning (again, different types here), and being willing to act when it is time.

Oh yeah all of that plus, if they have studied Krav, that will help them also… heh 😉

greenbeanie

Re:

[Giantkiller \”]Commando Krav Maga isn’t real KM by the way.\”

What is real KM (Contact Combat/Fight)? Is it the applied principles, the applied techniques or…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: