Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Re: wieght and krav

Don’t think; just do it. You’re going to hurt and sweat. But you’re also going to love doing both when you see the results in quick order.

kvmorl

quote fgandara:

I’m 48 and out of shape thinking about training do you have any advice on how to prepare?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so try a few classes. Most importantly stick with it.

fgandara

quote kvmorl:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained so try a few classes. Most importantly stick with it.

Thank you for your response, how about equipment should i bring anything with me or wait until I get to class?

Basic gym attire, I usually wear shorts, tank or tee, tennis shoes.

Bag gloves, My school has a box of gloves to use if you don’t have any, but communal gloves aren’t my style….:Unsure:

You will need groin protection, but most don’t when they first start…..”Just let your partners know if you aren’t wearing a cup”

Water or gatorade if you prefer not to drink from a fountain.

Good attitude and willingness to work………..

That’s it……….

Oh and a gym towel to wipe with is nice…..

good luck.

moe

I’m 29 6’3″ and currently about 355. Started Krav at 375 about 3 months ago. Krav is high intensity, remember that. Like everyone else said you will just show up and do what you can. I do push ups from my knees most of the time and very rarely do I keep up with the rest of the group as far a speed is concerned but I come, work my hour and pass out later. Listen to your body and when it says break, break. Just make sure you listen to your body and not your head. They have two different break points. 🙂

Now days I’m still pretty out of breath. I’m still slower than most of the class. Then again i am a fat guy doing a high intensity workout so what would you expect? But it’s worth it, it’s fun, and I’d challenge you to find a better work out anywhere. Keep in it, do what you can do and keep set on the end result you are seeking.

Things I’ve learned so far:
    Bring lots of water and a dry shirt for when you are done.
    Pay no attention to the bouncing Moobs in the mirror
    Masochism in some form seems to run in the blood of everyone I’ve met in Krav 😛
    Intensity > Speed
    Never Backup, even if your dying… Die falling forward.

kvmorl

* Towel
    * Water (Gatorade, has some sugar and fructose but many like it so its up to you) if anything I like adding electrolytes powder to water.
    * Hand Wraps or bag gloves
    * EAT AT LEAST 1 1/2hr before going, but make sure you eat.
    * Sleep good amount if possible night before always helps… but for some its luxury 🙂

fgandara

kvmorl, Moe, and Captn, Thank you for your input I went today and bought wraps, had bag gloves. first class Thursday at 11:30AM I’ll be sure to fall forward. Thanks again.

kevin-in-sf

fgandara,

I’m 38. I find that my body recovers more slowly than it did at 28, and it takes me a a bit longer to get results. But keep in mind that this isn’t a sprint. We’re in it for the long haul. The other advice in this thread (drink lots of water, eat properly, get enough sleep, etc.) is spot on. I’d add that it’s important to be nice to yourself, too. You should feel justifiably proud getting through a class, especially at the beginning. It will challenge you, but nothing worth doing is easy. Keep the old adage in mind: “Whatever doesn’t kill me just makes me funnier.”

Kevin

fgandara

Kevin:

Thank you for your advice. I haven’t been completely sedentary I used to lift regularly but the guy I trained with moved away and the 5:00AM thing got real easy to ignore. I can completely agree with the change in recovery time but it’s just like getting back in the gym after a long lay off, you know your going to be sore, but you’ll get though it. The hydration, eating right and often (huge) and of course rest. I’m very much looking forward to this adventure I mean where else can you get a great Cardio workout and learn to kick some ass while your doing it!

Frank

blindfold

Well this is interesting.

I have a freind who takes KM and he has been at it now for about 4 months. Joe started out around 5’8″ and 350#.

In the last 4 months he has watched and been very strict about his diet and his KM. He takes 3 classes a week and is going at his own pace.

I saw him yesterday and he has lost 76# since he started. His doctor told him that he is doing great.

I haven’t seen him since he started and I was like “damn, where is the rest of you”.

good luck and stick with it.

fgandara

Binfold

that is a fantastic story your friend should be very proud of his sucess. I myself am 5′-7″, 210lbs. w/ 36″ waist. I would love to get 5′-11″, 180lbs. w/32″ waist, well maybe the 5′-11″ part is a little lofty goal but the rest can be done.

saruotoko

quote fgandara:

Binfold

that is a fantastic story your friend should be very proud of his sucess. I myself am 5′-7″, 210lbs. w/ 36″ waist. I would love to get 5′-11″, 180lbs. w/32″ waist, well maybe the 5′-11″ part is a little lofty goal but the rest can be done.

Hey man….You’re exactly where I was. I’ve dropped 40 pounds (and counting) since I started back up with Krav after grad school a couple of years ago. I’m at that 5’7″ and 170 lbs today, and helping to give back by motivating students now. 🙂

It TOTALLY can be done. I just added more Krav when I hit a plateau, and sure enough, the weight kept slowly coming off. I’ve actually lowered my weight goals twice. I was only shooting for 180, and then I decided to aim for 170. Now, I’m targeting 160, and will call it a day then.

Best of luck with your training!

Mario

fgandara

quote saruotoko:

Hey man….You’re exactly where I was. I’ve dropped 40 pounds (and counting) since I started back up with Krav after grad school a couple of years ago. I’m at that 5’7″ and 170 lbs today, and helping to give back by motivating students now. 🙂

It TOTALLY can be done. I just added more Krav when I hit a plateau, and sure enough, the weight kept slowly coming off. I’ve actually lowered my weight goals twice. I was only shooting for 180, and then I decided to aim for 170. Now, I’m targeting 160, and will call it a day then.

Best of luck with your training!

Mario

Mario

just out of curiosity how long did it take you? and how serious did you change your diet? The reason I ask is I’m not big doing these radical diet changes and I’m in Business Development and do a lot of client entertaining, lunch, dinner and etc. I can watch what and how much that I eat but I do enjoy real food.

Frank

saruotoko

Hi Frank (fgandara).

I didn’t change my diet a bit. I like real food, too. 🙂

With amped up Krav….it took the better part of a year to drop 25 pounds. The next 15 took another year, but that’s kind of deceptive. I broke my wrist and had to take about 4 months off, and it took another 2 months to get back to full strength. So, with 2 hours of Krav, around 4 days a week, I averaged nearly 1/2 pound lost per week for the last 2 years.

It is slow going, and if you can get to 2+ hours a night for a while and don’t get injured, you could pull that same thing off sooner. In the interest of full disclosure, I should also mention I’m almost 40, and my recovery time is a bit slower than it used to be.

Hope that news (me, eating real food) is a bit encouraging. I also have a job where I have to entertain clients on occasion, so I can appreciate where you’re coming from.

Mario

fgandara

quote saruotoko:

Hi Frank (fgandara).

I didn’t change my diet a bit. I like real food, too. 🙂

With amped up Krav….it took the better part of a year to drop 25 pounds. The next 15 took another year, but that’s kind of deceptive. I broke my wrist and had to take about 4 months off, and it took another 2 months to get back to full strength. So, with 2 hours of Krav, around 4 days a week, I averaged nearly 1/2 pound lost per week for the last 2 years.

It is slow going, and if you can get to 2+ hours a night for a while and don’t get injured, you could pull that same thing off sooner. In the interest of full disclosure, I should also mention I’m almost 40, and my recovery time is a bit slower than it used to be.

Hope that news (me, eating real food) is a bit encouraging. I also have a job where I have to entertain clients on occasion, so I can appreciate where you’re coming from.

Mario

Mario:

Thank you for your experience and thanks again to everyone who offered their advice. This is a very helpful fourm with a great community of experienced members. I hope to be able, in the coming months, to offer advice to a person new to Krav.

Frank

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: