Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Worst injuries youve gotten doing Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    saruotoko

Re: Worst injuries youve gotten doing Krav Maga

Like CJ’s Dad, I, too, had a good injury during the instructor’s Phase training. I broke one of my wrist bones in my right hand at some point during that training. I don’t know when exactly. I don’t want that to come off as “he’s so tough, he fought through a broken bone.”

It wasn’t quite like that. More like he was too stupid to realize this was more than ‘sore,’ and he should stop. Whereas CJ’s dad is a stubborn and (highly) committed instructor, I’m a little ‘slow’ about injuries, apparently. 🙂

Once I learned the soreness in my right hand had a cause, I got yanked from Krav for about 3 months to heal. I got medically cleared to return about a week ago, and the classes hurt all over again. (the broken bone set off all sorts of infections, cysts, and other stuff that had to get fixed in that wrist)

I can also testify to how stubborn/tough/gutsy CJ’s Dad is. I saw that shoulder slip in & out more than once during Phase, and ultimately get taped up so he could finish. The boy is tough!

Peace, everyone!

El Guapo

alek

quote Dave_Bluestein:

Torn ACL….if you were thinking about doing it too….dont. Staff, I didnt know that you broke it!!! I thought it was a sprain! For those of you who dont know Jeremy Stafford, I gave him his Phase C test. After injuring his ankle, he cursed for a while, got up, and finsihed his test like a champ..He did us proud.

Hey Dave how are you doing? I used to go to your Level 1 classes back in the day, hows the ACL? You coming back soon?

alek

I havent had anything too crazy but: Pulled both inner thigh muscles (simultaniously) my right thigh hasn’t been 100% for months now, I dont even know how I hurt it, neck is soar everytime I ground fight, but its always worth it, back and ribs are constantly soar, I cut up my knuckles sometimes because I don’t always wear MMA gloves and once i cracked my big toe nail straight down the middle sparring with my cousin in the Krav parking lot after class.

Two new injuries over the weekend: a hyperextended shoulder that snapped back to bruise the soft connective tissue, and my right hand is swollen like a sausage- from what, I have no idea.

jonj480

This weekend produced a pretty badly swollen knee. Was a great weekend though.

cmetalman

With all these injuries how do you all handle the repercussions outside of Krav? What I mean is – I have a physical job. I can’t afford to be seriously injured and out of work,(mortgage,car payments,etc…).sorry, but “THAT” is what worries me the most.

In my case, I’m lucky enough to have an office job where I don’t have to move around much when I’m in a lot of pain. Injuries are just part of the game. Learn technique as much as possible to help minimize them, but you’re probably going to get brusied and scraped at the very least, despite that.

alek

quote cmetalman:

With all these injuries how do you all handle the repercussions outside of Krav? What I mean is – I have a physical job. I can’t afford to be seriously injured and out of work,(mortgage,car payments,etc…).sorry, but “THAT” is what worries me the most.

Well most of these injurys are REALLY minor and they wont affect your life outside of Krav, youll only really feel them if you go to Krav with the injury or do some other kind of physical workout.

nixxon

I have a physical job accompanied with some deskwork. Not manual labor but alot of lifting etc.

I usually just limp faster or cry louder. Seems to help with the pain.

jburtonpdx

misfire…. sorry

kravmdjeff

From Krav, actually not that much…shattered toe, bruised ribs, knee and elbow hyperextensions from poor padholders…lots of random back issues.

Although, I’m also going to follow Revancha’s lead and mention that during Phase C somehow word got out that we were sparring several rounds, so we were blessed with Amir’s presence…and of course I got to fight him, and of course he hit me with a liver-kick that caused me to see a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.

I’ll also attest to Stafford’s toughness, if not his intelligence…I partnered with him for Expert 1, and I outweigh him by about 40 lbs, and he took everything I had to give.

quote KravMDjeff:

From Krav, actually not that much…shattered toe, bruised ribs, knee and elbow hyperextensions from poor padholders…lots of random back issues.

Although, I’m also going to follow Revancha’s lead and mention that during Phase C somehow word got out that we were sparring several rounds, so we were blessed with Amir’s presence…and of course I got to fight him, and of course he hit me with a liver-kick that caused me to see a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.

I’ll also attest to Stafford’s toughness, if not his intelligence…I partnered with him for Expert 1, and I outweigh him by about 40 lbs, and he took everything I had to give.

Oh Yeah! I forgot the concussion I got from KravMDjeffs high round kick to the head during the fight portion of our expert 1 test! Thanks for that, buddy!

kmman

Seriously, you ought to doublecheck the safety issues. This is way too many training injuries. Most injuries should be fault of your own or just bad luck…they should not be partner error so often.

quote KMMAN:

Seriously, you ought to doublecheck the safety issues. This is way too many training injuries. Most injuries should be fault of your own or just bad luck…they should not be partner error so often.

Actually, if you look at the list of injuries they are all relatively minor. All of my more serious ones took place during instructor training where the level of intensity and aggression is ramped up because of the 30% failure rate. None of these injuries kept me from my full time job. As far as doublechecking safety issues, well, safety is a huge consideration…But this Krav, not scrapbooking. The number of injuries I’ve seen on the mat is far less than the amount of injuries I’ve seen during most other physical activities, including things like softball. It happens. If it didn’t, I would question the intensity of the system.

bracius

quote Jeremy Stafford:

As far as doublechecking safety issues, well, safety is a huge consideration…But this Krav, not scrapbooking.

That’s worth quoting :D:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: