Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Your favorite KM instructors?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    ryan

I don’t normally start such threads, but I was posed this question in Mexico, and I thought it interesting. Now, I’m not looking for names (though you can, of course, include them), but I was more curious as to WHY certain instructors were your favorites. Also, if you are an instructor, at what point in your training did your favorite(s) come into your progression?

rfc

Re: Your favorite KM instructors?

All of my instructors are great and I have no preferences among them. There’s much consistency in what they teach and the way they teach it and the little variations are helpful to see/learn things with a different perspective.

FYI: I attend the facility in Columbia, MD and would really recommend folks to come check it out. It’s a real class-act! The instructors are all very skilled indeed!

unstpabl1

CJ’s Dad, because he understands the reality of fight and brings his students up to speed step by step thru the expirience of each drill. Plus his knowledge of other systems including fma is invaluable and fills in weak areas

skelegirl

I have to say the instructors at my place (Krav Maga 911 in San Antonio) have all been fantastic. I’m overweight (but working on it) and pretty much feel like the “fat kid in little league”. They have always encouraged me and helped me to make the most of the experience there. When I leave, I feel like King Kong on cocaine-pumped and ready. And Roger is really helping me not to overthink things (which is a huge problem for me because as a doctoral candidate, I overthink ALOT).

mara-jade

The KM instructors at Pete’s place all rock! Being there as long and hubby and I have, we’ve had the pleasure of watching those who started and became instructors get better and better. Pete puts them through hell.

I know at times I get frustrated with myself and moves. I think just about every instructor I’ve trained I’ve walked way with another tool to add to my toolbox. For certain techniques, I can hear specific instructors in my head with that one little thing that on that move, it clicks.

I can think of 2 that at different times heard me say ‘I suck at this, I can’t get it.’ They both told me I could. I’m doing my dangest to train so hubby and I can test at some point. Thing is so far when we’ve gone to test, right before it we’ve gotten hurt or something else came (like hubby’s hernia). We’ve changed our eating habits too so I hope this helps. To all those testing soon – wish ya the best:wav:

michaelmall

Well there are a lot of them Ryan Hoover,Terry Bullman,
    Ben Harris but my favorite one is Rick Asher.I don’t know
    if Jeff Jimo counts but him to.And crazy Mike at rhek.

stevetuna

Steve Tuna’s list of things that make for a great Krav Maga instructor:

1.) The ability to convey the message – You can have all the physical skill in the world, but if you can’t demonstrate it, explain it and teach it, you’re of very little use to your students.
    2.) The ability to make necessary corrections in a way that encourages the student.
    3.) The ability to be confident, but not full of yourself.
    4.) The ability to laugh at yourself.
    5.) The ability to make the crowd think that they wouldn’t want to mess with you (in the nicest possible way).
    6.) The ability to make the student feel good about his / her accomplishments and eager to come back.
    7.) The ability to appreciate something in every student.
    8.) The desire to make your student better than you are.

I’ve seen all of these qualities in every high-ranking Krav Maga instructor that I’ve ever had the good fortune to train with. It starts at the top. Darren Levine is a phenomenal instructor. Think of the people in charge of the regional training centers – I only know Ryan, but Pete from Texas and James from Colorado are held in the highest regard by my friends who have trained with them. The list goes on and on: Jon Pascal, Kelly Campbell, Michael Margolin, even the liver-punching La Revancha all embody these qualities.

It’s helpful to me as an instructor to have such people to look up to.

bull1189

I think an instructor who can tell what a student needs and deliver that, no matter what level the student is. And, this will necessarily change as the student progresses.

I have two favorite instructors, for different reasons. You, Ryan, and it was (obviously) phase B – because I got what I needed and had to reach really deep and make a decision about what I was going to be in order to finish. And Kelly C. – because she is able communicate and teach on multiple levels what I always think are difficult techniques, but once I understand what she is saying, I haven’t missed on yet.

But in both instances, the instructors saw what I specifically needed as a student, and then bring that out by whatever teaching method is appropriate. (I’ll just note, the latter one was significantly less painful than the former). And that taught me, in turn, how to teach my students the same way.
    Mike

kevin-mack

Alan Feldman
    Eyal Yanilov

stephen

i have only trained at rhek. everyone there i’ve worked with is great. if i had to pick a favorite i’d have to say ryan or mike. both teach class at a high intensity level. both are brutally honest when responding to questions. when you leave their classes you are exhausted and they also leave you with somethings to think about.

don

What Steve said! All the KM instructors I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and/or training under (among many other positive characteristics)
    1. know the subject matter
    2. know how to instruct, and
    3. are passionate about what they do (including student development/progress)

I’ll say it again that they are some of the nicest warriors you will ever meet… :):

quote stevetuna:

Steve Tunaís list of things that make for a great Krav Maga instructor:

1.) The ability to convey the message ñ You can have all the physical skill in the world, but if you canít demonstrate it, explain it and teach it, youíre of very little use to your students.
    2.) The ability to make necessary corrections in a way that encourages the student.
    3.) The ability to be confident, but not full of yourself.
    4.) The ability to laugh at yourself.
    5.) The ability to make the crowd think that they wouldnít want to mess with you (in the nicest possible way).
    6.) The ability to make the student feel good about his / her accomplishments and eager to come back.
    7.) The ability to appreciate something in every student.
    8.) The desire to make your student better than you are.

Iíve seen all of these qualities in every high-ranking Krav Maga instructor that Iíve ever had the good fortune to train with. It starts at the top. Darren Levine is a phenomenal instructor. Think of the people in charge of the regional training centers – I only know Ryan, but Pete from Texas and James from Colorado are held in the highest regard by my friends who have trained with them. The list goes on and on: Jon Pascal, Kelly Campbell, Michael Margolin, even the liver-punching La Revancha all embody these qualities.

It’s helpful to me as an instructor to have such people to look up to.

dckm

i’m fortunate in that all the instructors at my school are top notch.
    phil is one of my favorites because he takes the most time in answering my questions. shawn is good too as he’s a cop and he relates the class to police reports and his principle of the “pre-emptive” strike. jeff, andy, and pete giannetti, all are good.
    instructors outside my school that i’ve trained with and learned from
    Jeanine Jackson, Jeff Mount and Otis Berry. All top notch instructors.

ryan

Mike, why, whatever do you mean? I hope you are well.

Steve, how is the weather up there? When do I get my time in the People’s Republic of Massachusetts?

Kevin, care to expand upon your answers? What is it about them that makes them your favorites?

Thanks to the others who have contributed. I noted in my own list (which went from top 3 to top 5 to top 7!) that my choices were made for many different reasons, which is what prompted the thread.

tazz

All my instructors at RHEK are great and have helped me a lot. I must say Ryan is my favorite he is so good at teaching the mental side of KRAV. Mike is also one of my favorite instructors . When I leave class I feel I have trained mind and body. Thanks to all my instructors at RHEK .

la-revancha

Brent and Whitman for their oratory eloquence.

Wade for evoking the fear of the God.

Ernie from Philly for providing the hangover before my blue belt exam.

Dan Suvetky for demonstrating the technical evolution of KM back in the 80s and 90s and present day Krav Maga.

You and Jeff for all the pressure testing concepts and the integration of self-protection.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: