Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    ds314

Re: Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

It takes time. Don’t quit and you’ll make it eventually.

DS314

nate

guitarded – almost everyone I’ve heard of who starts the Bas cd’s has trouble getting through em at first. I know I did. Even after you get used to them, you can still put more into it and give yourself a good workout. I don’t think it ever gets easy, just not as painful. Like DS314 said, just keep at it.

LaRev had some good pointers on page 1 of this thread of how to get through ’em if you didn’t check those out.

kirsten

You guys are doing great and just to make you feel even better… Bas uses these tapes to gauge a professional fighter’s fitness level when they start training with him. They never get through them, and they are professionals (no, I won’t name names. But trust me; you would recognize all of them). So keep working at them and you will be in INCREDIBLE shape!

My most favorite workouts are doing any of the tapes with a partner (mostly all-around and thai). I do all the rounds then start the disc over at round 1 and my partner does all the rounds (sometimes I do this as part of the class). I noticed I am more fatigued and sore the next day from chasing my partner around and adding all the movement (slipping, footwork, etc) than when I just work the heavy bag. So if you can find a workout buddy to do this with- it’s a blast!

BTW, Bas regularly reads his forum and enjoys hearing feedback from you guys. So don’t be afraid of posting there and letting him know what you think of the tapes!

ds314

Kirsten,

Do you one of you wears the focus mitts and one punches, kicks and then you switch?
    DS314

jesse

I know this is a terrible question to ask, but does anyone know where it might be possible to find a set second hand at a cheaper price? E-Bay didn’t have any. I’m working on a budget and there’s no way i’m touching some of these torrent ripoffs.

Jesse

nate

quote Jesse:

I know this is a terrible question to ask, but does anyone know where it might be possible to find a set second hand at a cheaper price? E-Bay didn’t have any. I’m working on a budget and there’s no way i’m touching some of these torrent ripoffs.

Jesse

I don’t think you’re going to find any of these secondhand, as everyone who gets ’em, keeps ’em and keeps using ’em. Honestly, 60 bucks ain’t that much to spend on 4 workout cd’s for how much you’re going to get out of it, but if you’re that poor, bug some of the guys around the gym and see if someone will burn you a copy (Then go back and buy em later when you get money!).

guitarded-1

3rd day with Bas. As I was feeling overwhelmed by the boxing workout, I took some advice and switched over to the Thai boxing workout with 3 minute rounds. As suggested, I’m not doing the kicks, which allows for a little more breathing room. Also, I’m not using gloves (just wrapped hands) and hitting the bag with less than full force. The real trick is a good warm up beforehand. I find that once my heart rate stabilizes, things become much easier. Now I’m getting the hang of it.

Tomorrow I will put on the gloves, use the same Thai boxing workout and hit the bag full force. Next week I will likely move on to the boxing workout with 2 minute rounds. In any event, it has been great exercise so far.

kvmorl

Do that for a bit till you get used to the combos and speed, then check out the all around workout 28min. Its a good one, takes time.

la-revancha

Good deal, guitarded. Keep it up, and I’m sure you’ll be able to integrate the knee/kick soon enough.

quote guitarded_1:

Also, I’m not using gloves (just wrapped hands) and hitting the bag with less than full force… Next week I will likely move on to the boxing workout with 2 minute rounds.

If I may offer some caution.

If you are prone to heavy sweating, like me, I wouldn’t do too many rounds with only the wraps on. I have found the soggy fabric, combined with wet skin and power striking, can bloody up your knuckles or webbing between fingers.

MMA gloves (ie, combat sports) have also ripped up the webbing of my hands after a long Bas session.

But hey, that’s just me. Perhaps others here have ways to prevent these incidents from ocurring.

kirsten

DS314,
    Sorry for the delayed post. To answer your question, some days we do just shadow boxing, other days we do focus mitt training and others we use Thai pads. I prefer the Thai pad with a belly pad and holder wearing shin pads because I can hit heavy compared to using the focus mitts and work on pushing front kicks along with the combo’s.

Some days we will just put on our shin pads and boxing gloves and forgo the mitts and use your partners gloves so they can get used to it and work on defending or absorbing the kicks (this we donít do very often to avoid training bad habits, like taking several leg kicks and not defending.. but I think you get my point). This allows my beginners to get used to the idea of somebody trying to hit them, timing, footwork, positioning, working angles, etc.

Depending on what we have done for the weeks training, I may take it easy on them and we may alternate rounds and switch off… or I may push their cardio and make them go non-stop through the tape before switching with the partner. I prefer to do it this way but not all of my guys are fighters. When the guys are preparing for a fight, we reduce the rest time between the rounds.

I do very little of these tapes on the heavy bag myself. But I seldom can find a partner so I end up shadow boxing or breaking down and using the bag. When I do, I ALWAYS ALWAYS wrap my hands and use my 16 oz bag gloves for protection. I agree with La Revancha that it just tears you up and that is counter productive to your training.

It’s a lot of information, sorry. I hope it helps you out.

g-v

I do the kickboxing cd against my wavemaster. Or more like, I start off doing the kickboxing cd against the wavemaster, but eventually trail off and do my own combos on the bag, and just use Bas when he calls time for the 1 min breathers. I have one of them tall boy wavemaster xxl’s, and try to pound the stuffing out of it, haha. I don’t wrap up or wear gloves, but I mostly open-hand strike it, anyways.

Oh yeah, that mma workout cd is a farging killer!

arcana

Hi everyone, I’ve just registered here 🙂

I’m looking for some sort of workout to do at home and the Bas MMA seems to get good reviews. I’ve looked at a few videos on Youtube done using the workout and got a couple of questions.
    I keep hearing the word “tapes”, which is a term I haven’t used for 10 years. Is this workout really that old? Which makes me wonder if there’s nothing newer and better out there?
    Bas is working on a new workout according to various information on the web. Is it worth waiting for that one? I suppose that could potentially be another year before it’s out.
    In the videos I’ve seen I hear this repatative “metal with a techno kick” music. I wonder if that’s on the CD’s or just happen to be on the Youtube clips I’ve seen. I suspect it’s on the CD’s. That would get on my nerves quite quickly, and I actually like Metal and Techno – to a degree anyway.

ds314

It comes with one instructional DVD and 4 audio CDs

Dave

arcana

quote DS314:

It comes with one instructional DVD and 4 audio CDs

Dave

Maybe I didn’t make that clear, but I’m perfectly aware of that. I was more wondering why people mention the word “tape”, when no one have sold/bought audio tapes for 10-ish years. Seems to me that this set was originally made on tape – ie. pretty darn old by todays standard. I mean in 2008 I’m almost expecting an interactive DVD/CD-ROM. 2 Wing chun DVD’s I bought (when I trained that) contained that.

zen4me

quote Arcana:

Maybe I didn’t make that clear, but I’m perfectly aware of that. I was more wondering why people mention the word “tape”, when no one have sold/bought audio tapes for 10-ish years. Seems to me that this set was originally made on tape – ie. pretty darn old by todays standard. I mean in 2008 I’m almost expecting an interactive DVD/CD-ROM. 2 Wing chun DVD’s I bought (when I trained that) contained that.

I think use of the word “tape” is generic and you’re reading too much into it. I mean, does it really matter that we’re using the word “tape” when speaking of a workout system that the majority of people find highly beneficial as a supplement to their Krav?

Regardless, I believe the CD’s were originally issued in 2001-ish (but my recall is crap at times) and yes, Bas is putting out a new set of CD’s in the near future – though how near that future is I don’t know. One of the dudes (Oneness I think?) on here works with Bas and would be able to better answer that question.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: