Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Re: Bas Rutten 28 min Workout Series

Thanks CJ…would you consider the BAS CDs along with the KMWW Krav Maga DVD set a decent way of distance learning when I cant get to class?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Obviously they serve two completely different functions but yes I would say if I could have only 2 DVD sets those would be the two. No question.

ds314

Yes Kvmorl.

DS314

la-revancha

quote Oneness:

We will be down in sherman oaks teaching another instructor course June 8th – 12th. Going to be a good one with some of the guys going through. If you and Sean are around on thursday, come by, I will have Bas run us through the new version or at least thats my plan.

I’m there yesterday!!!

Seriously, thanks for the invite.

TTT for the best workout ever invented.

oneness

Unstpabl1 –

I see where you are coming from. I don’t know the other posts, doesn’t matter.

Its definitely a teaching tool and should not be used to take place of an instructor or for them not to teach a class. Then I am with you and its better to stay home.

kmman

I just ordered the BAS MMA workout (also added the Street Fighting DVD). This, along with the KM DVD set should help me as I sometimes must miss class for a week or two at a time and this will keep me in shape for the return.

Cant keep chucking up with newbies every other month!!!

(Oh, I still am a newbie!!!)

A neighbor of mine down the street turned me on to the Bas audio tapes and I think they’re great. I’m just getting back into things after a long cold winter and cleaning up the garage. The Bas audio on my heavy bag was just the thing I needed.

I also spent a good deal of time this weekend reviewing my KM videos and book and attached some arms to my heavy bag to help practice my plucks and motions.

Another cool thing… MY neighbor is a ciropractor who apparently trades some services for MMA lessons and has been doing it for some time. We started talking about working out and KM and I let him borrow the vids to look at. He’s got a sweet liitle gym in his garage and has grappling nights on Saturdays. He said to come by and he’ll teach me some basics and just have some fun on grapling night. Sooo. Heavy bag/krav workouts and some weight lifting during the week, grapling lessons on the weekend and I’m signing up for a 10 week KM class on saturday mornings so this summer is starting off well!

ds314

Okay – I receive\d the CDs/DVD yesterday. I watched the instructional DVD last night If I understoond Bas correctly he sugguested starting off with the Boxing CD to get use to the number call-outs. Seems pretty intense. I will start with the Boxing CD tomorrow. I need to make myself a poster size sheet with the call-out numbers on them and tape/or tack it to the wall in front of me until I can get use to and memorize the call-outs. Any other sugguestions or a better way to do this?

DS314

kmman

quote Dave the Wave:

A neighbor of mine down the street turned me on to the Bas audio tapes and I think they’re great. I’m just getting back into things after a long cold winter and cleaning up the garage. The Bas audio on my heavy bag was just the thing I needed.

I also spent a good deal of time this weekend reviewing my KM videos and book and attached some arms to my heavy bag to help practice my plucks and motions.

Another cool thing… MY neighbor is a ciropractor who apparently trades some services for MMA lessons and has been doing it for some time. We started talking about working out and KM and I let him borrow the vids to look at. He’s got a sweet liitle gym in his garage and has grappling nights on Saturdays. He said to come by and he’ll teach me some basics and just have some fun on grapling night. Sooo. Heavy bag/krav workouts and some weight lifting during the week, grapling lessons on the weekend and I’m signing up for a 10 week KM class on saturday mornings so this summer is starting off well!

You dont train at a school? How do you find yourself progessing? Are you not interested in grading or is that something you plan on doing?

la-revancha

quote DS314:

Okay – I receive\d the CDs/DVD yesterday. I watched the instructional DVD last night If I understoond Bas correctly he sugguested starting off with the Boxing CD to get use to the number call-outs. Seems pretty intense…. Any other sugguestions or a better way to do this?

Here’s what I have suggested to beginners over the years:

The first order of business is being able to finish the rounds without skipping combos.

The combination rate for the thai boxing CD is a little slower than the boxing CD. Hence, box to the thai boxing CD. Don’t worry about the extra kick or knee after every combination, just throw the punches he calls out.

IMO, the boxing CD is TOO fast for newbies, and you will likely miss considerably more combos here as a beginner than you would with the thai boxing side.

Indeed, throw knees when he calls knees if you want. But to get in the groove of simply punching, sub left hooks for left knees and right straights for right knees.

Once you can do 2-3 rounds without skipping combos, then I would suggest giving the boxing CD a try.

Perhaps a little unorthodox, but it is the way I started myself, actually.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ds314

La Revancha,

Thank you for the advice. I will start with the Thai CD. Hopefully within a few weeks I will be getting the hang of it.

DS314

quote KMMAN:

You dont train at a school? How do you find yourself progessing? Are you not interested in grading or is that something you plan on doing?

No school near me. Obvioulsy my progression is not going to be on par with real training and is subjective. I can however say that by watching the videos and reading the book I have a pretty good grasp on the core elements, or at least I think I do. I also think my reaction time has improved in my defensive blocks and plucks etc.

I practice defensive plucks from all positions of choke, as well as windmill type release, all the strikes, 360 defense, inside defense, knife defenses, movement front, rear, side etc. at least a few times a week in my gym at home. Some of the drills for 360 defense and take aways are practiced with my son when time allows but I also use a grappling dummy for the plucks and such when I’m alone, works out pretty well actuually.

While I have not done any gun defense, I’ve tried to work on the core movements, I think I’ll start working on that this summer.

As has been mentioned here on the forum, attitude and repitition goes a long way in programming the pathways. I really don’t like working out that much because of the monotony. I find that the advice given here, the DVD’s and the book has not only given me a good grasp on self defence fundementals but that I’m in better shape because of it and enjoy spending time working out.

The Bas tapes that so many have recomended have given me a good cardio boost and helps me with the mechanics of my punching as well as speed and reaction time. I’ll lift and stretch a few days a week when I’m not doing the Bas cd’s, and practice Krav at least three or four times a week.

While I don’t post much I do lurk quite a bit and can say that the forum not only helps to motivate me but most every one here has good input that I try to make use of. I appreciate all of the help that the true Krav students do to help the less experienced.

kvmorl

quote La Revancha:

Here’s what I have suggested to beginners over the years:

The first order of business is being able to finish the rounds without skipping combos.

The combination rate for the thai boxing CD is a little slower than the boxing CD. Hence, box to the thai boxing CD. Don’t worry about the extra kick or knee after every combination, just throw the punches he calls out.

IMO, the boxing CD is TOO fast for newbies, and you will likely miss considerably more combos here as a beginner than you would with the thai boxing side.

Indeed, throw knees when he calls knees if you want. But to get in the groove of simply punching, sub left hooks for left knees and right straights for right knees.

Once you can do 2-3 rounds without skipping combos, then I would suggest giving the boxing CD a try.

Perhaps a little unorthodox, but it is the way I started myself, actually.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Question;

Cd/DVD set is on the way(hopefully).

Is the 28min workout a separate CD / DVD or is it part of boxing /thai drill?

la-revancha

The set includes the 28min workout. Not for the faint of heart…..that one sucks if u got some capable grapplers with you.

kvmorl

quote La Revancha:

The set includes the 28min workout. Not for the faint of heart…..that one sucks if u got some capable grapplers with you.

Thanks for the response, I assume the DVD demonstrates the moves, strikes, sprawls ect.. correct?

I plan to do it without a partner( grappler ) available or bag, i only have that available on Krav days. It should still be effective i assume…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: