Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Becoming a Krav Maga Instructor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    andy84

What do people have to go through to become Krav Maga instructors? Not that Im asking for myself, I just wanted to know what the typical qualifications of an instructor are. I am seriously considering starting krav maga soon.

andy84

49 views and no replies? no one knows??

stevetuna

Andy –

To become a Krav Maga instructor involves successful completion of a Phase A training course (see the thread in this section about the one that just happened in Gastonia, NC). This course involves intense physical training. You will review every aspect of the Krav Maga yellow belt section, get a good introduction to the Krav Maga green belt section and, ultimately, learn how to teach these combatives and self-defense techniques.

I will tell you first-hand that this is one tough class. Our last day, test day, started with a 3 hour, 20 minute physical test. It got to the point where we were all trying to find a couple feet of dry mats to work on as we were all sweating so profusely! Then we went on to the mock teaching segment where we taught one technique that we had prepared for in advance, followed by one that we were assigned right on the spot. Finally, we had a pretty extensive written test (I don’t know why I suspected that the written test was going to be easier than it was…).

I guess that it’s possible for someone to walk into a Phase A class with no prior Krav Maga experience and somehow get through. I can’t see how, though – there’s a lot to learn in a very short time. If you haven’t been training in Krav Maga so that you know the combatives and self-defense techniques, you’d be at a huge disadvantage. Also, if you’re not ready to physically and mentally push yourself to entire new levels, you’re not ready for Phase A.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the forum and please keep us posted on how you’re liking Krav Maga!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster
    quote Andy84:

49 views and no replies? no one knows??

I suspect many of us were concerned we would not do the description of phase A justice.

But as Steve pointed out there is a very good discussion about it right now in this thread.

Keep in mind there are several levels of phase, ìAî is just the first step on a very long road.

Forum member “Ryan” would be a good person to talk to about it. Hopefully he will chime in.

andy84

Sounds good, I think of Krav as a solid system but I wanted to know that the instructors backing it are just as good.

jjk

Does anybody ever not pass Phase A training?

Anywhere from 20-40% washout rate last time I talked to Kelly. Kelly, Brent, or Dave B would probably have the stats regarding the last class.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Yeah I think it was something like 40% don’t make it to the end.

Its grueling, you have to be in great shape and really really want to complete the course.

stevetuna
    quote CJs Dad:

Yeah I think it was something like 40% donít make it to the end.

Its grueling, you have to be in great shape and really really want to complete the curse.

What he said.

jamesh-d30

On the average, there is a 30% failure rate. Besides looking for physically talented individuals, just as much emphasis is put on the ability to transfer knowledge. Someone can be REALLY good at Krav Maga, and never pass Phase A because they were just not good teachers. Conversely, someone can be a REALLY good teacher but not be of the caliber of physical talent that we look for in an instructor. Make no mistake, if someone passed Phase A, they are extremely talented.

People have attended and passed a Phase A with no Krav Maga experience prior to the training. However, those people MUST have prior experience TEACHING in a Fighting or other Martial Arts system, or they aren’t even accepted. Krav Maga and the Phase Training in particular is designed for that. Itís the best way to get the best people teaching Krav Maga. Itís important to note, however, that passing Phase A only allows an instructor to teach Level 1 (yellow belt) material. They are then required to train for a period of time, refining their skills, before they can attempt to pass a Phase B.

A small correction to a previous post: Phase A includes yellow belt and ORANGE belt material, not green belt. When the candidate returns for Phase B, they are expected to know both levels inside and out.

ryan

I think 30-40% is typical. As Steve said, we just had a phase A here, and out of 18, 6 did not pass, and another 4 or 5 were put through on a sort of provisional basis.

Regarding going through without KM experience, it is possible (I did it, but that was more common in those days, since there weren’t nearly as many KM schools around.) You better bring a heaping helping of fighting spirit and willingness to do whatever it takes though, because you’ll definitely have a sharp learning curve.

jamesh-d30

On the average, there is a 30% failure rate. Besides looking for physically talented individuals, just as much emphasis is put on the ability to transfer knowledge. Someone can be REALLY good at Krav Maga, and never pass Phase A because they were just not good teachers. Conversely, someone can be a REALLY good teacher but not be of the caliber of physical talent that we look for in an instructor. Make no mistake, if someone passed Phase A, they are extremely talented.

People have attended and passed a Phase A with no Krav Maga experience prior to the training. However, those people MUST have prior experience TEACHING in a Fighting or other Martial Arts system, or they aren’t even accepted. Krav Maga and the Phase Training in particular is designed for that. Itís the best way to get the best people teaching Krav Maga. Itís important to note, however, that passing Phase A only allows an instructor to teach Level 1 (yellow belt) material. They are then required to train for a period of time, refining their skills, before they can attempt to pass a Phase B.

A small correction to a previous post: Phase A includes yellow belt and ORANGE belt material, not green belt. When the candidate returns for Phase B, they are expected to know both levels inside and out.

stevetuna

James –

Thanks for the correction concerning the orange belt (not green belt) material covered in Phase A.

Sorry – I was heading out the door to class but wanted to respond to Andy 84’s question.

jamesh-d30

Don’t be sorry, I figured it was an oversight.
    BTW Jon Pascal speaks highly of you! I should like to meet and train with you someday.

stevetuna

That would be my pleasure, James! Jules still trembles at the mention of your name!!!

My co-worker, Rick, just spent five fun-filled days with Jon Pascal in Boston, doing a Level 1 / Level 5 Force Training (law enforcement) recertification. Jon’s got Rick ready for Phase A in the near future. Good stuff!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: