Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Becoming a Krav Maga Instructor

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    brentw

Re: Becoming a Krav Maga Instructor

Sick??!! Me??!! Man you had it easy. If the old ME met me now, I would crush him.

Drills are the crucible of Krav Maga.

giant-killer

So, are the actual KM techniques different? Or are there only differences in drills etc? The actual KM technique should look the same, regardless of instructor. You could take a look at the “Complete Krav Maga” book to see what the technique should officially look like if you are not sure.

leejam99

I would talk to the testing instructor first and make sure he is ok with what you are talking about. I would not assume that anything is ok if you are not sure. You don’t want to go through the test than find out he doesn’t like what he sees….

But like i said, if the principles are the same…technique shouldn’t be far off. Can you share with us what it is and how if differs?

marz

My experience: For 7 grueling 8 hour days with only 30-45 min. lunch break (and maybe a 5 min here and there hydration) J. Pascal and a man only known as “Richard” took our bodies and minds to the breaking point and pushed harder. On that seventh day with a hyper-extended right knee, the test truely showed me what my limits were and that I actually could surpass them. Half the time was in the Texas heat, all worth it to receive my Instructor cert in Krav Maga Military combatives.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Marz:

My experience: For 7 grueling 8 hour days with only 30-45 min. lunch break (and maybe a 5 min here and there hydration) J. Pascal and a man only known as “Richard” took our bodies and minds to the breaking point and pushed harder. On that seventh day with a hyper-extended right knee, the test truely showed me what my limits were and that I actually could surpass them. Half the time was in the Texas heat, all worth it to receive my Instructor cert in Krav Maga Military combatives.

Probably Richard Griot (sp)

eric-joyce

This question may have been asked and answered already but I was curious, if you are currently in a school and you want to become an instructor, do you have to get permission from the school you are at to take the instructors exam? Sort of like sponsorship?

gwalsh-d92

I did my Phase A with John Whitman and Ernie Kirk. What an experience!

Psyops said it the best:

“It is grueling. It pushes you. It does not build character. It reveals character. You will know who you are when you finish.”

johnl-d11

Had my phase A a few weeks ago with Mr. Hiramosa and Mr. Whitman.. Found out last Thurs that I passed!! 🙂

mara-jade

quote JohnL:

Had my phase A a few weeks ago with Mr. Hiramosa and Mr. Whitman.. Found out last Thurs that I passed!! 🙂

CONGRATS!!:woohoo:thumbsupbeer

marz

quote CJs Dad:

Probably Richard Griot (sp)

Lol, yeah it was Richard Grillott, one tough SOB. Great guy very secretive, we had some interesting conversations. Don’t call him frenchy.

stevetuna

Congratulations, John L! Well done, sir!

saruotoko

Hmm….Phase Training. Tough? Yes. Survivable? Yes. It also helps if you know the people that are going through Phase Training with you. The 5 men I shared the experience with all had different strengths, and it made for a really good growth opportunity. You’d be surprised how important it is for all of you going through Phase to stick together. I believe it can help improve one’s chances of passing the first time. Motivation within the group is important for those tough drills you’re not sure you’re gonna finish on your feet.

The tally for injuries among our own group: very gimpy calves, a shoulder that could separate on cue, a BRUTALLY bad hamstring (took the dude more than a month to recover), knuckles that looked like meatloaf, quads with cramp-based knots in them so big that you had to get them out by digging elbows into them, and several ‘rung bells’ from the fight sessions. Those are the ones that I remember seeing among us all. I’m sure that SB, Gors, “Thunder Dave,” CJ’s Dad, and Craig could continue adding to things I missed.

I know that I have certain weaknesses in my abilities and I am looking to alter my training between now and the start of Phase B so I can be well rounded. One comment earlier suggests that you learn where your limitations are and your determination to drive through them in Phase.

I can’t solve my specific limitations in Phase, but I am committed to minimizing them through constant training in between Phase, and building on my strengths. Phase did reveal them to me, and that’s useful knowledge. I’m not sure I can speak for the others who went through Phase with me, but I suspect their thinking is along the same lines.

And to the person who commented on the written test……let me just say that I think the written test might not have been so tough if we didn’t have to actually ‘write’ the darned answers the same day as the physical test. Now if we had access to KEYBOARDS to type it in….maybe not so bad. (Note to the powers that be that administer Phase training?? Hint, hint??)

Bottom line, Phase is HARD hard. It’s not just hard, ‘just because.’ We’re supposed to be able to impart the material in a cohesive way, as consistently as possible from school to school, and set a good visual example through our physical demonstrations. i.e. we have to ‘look good’ doing the techniques…..and not via ‘showing off.’

It’s a high bar to cross on purpose. I’m not here to toot MY horn. The other 5 guys in training with me were outstanding. I think I have much more to work on, and am committed to doing so. That’s been a constant thread through this overall discussion, and it speaks to the general character of those who have asked for and been given the opportunity to attempt to pass Phase training.

We want this because we believe (very strongly) that we have something to contribute to those who want to take care of themselves and their loved ones.

Peace,

El Guapo was here!

p.s. – Hey Phase Buddy Moderator Captain….Can you hook up El Guapo with that thingy that says “instructor” beneath my name? 🙂

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Well well look what the cat dragged in winner of the most eloquently spoken technique descriptions award.

Whats up my phase bother thanks for stopping by I’ll hook up the instructor title for you riki tick.

mara-jade

Hi Saruotoko! Just wanted to welcome ya to the forum! Another instructor? Geez, the place is getting crowded – aint it cool?😀

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote mara_jade:

Hi Saruotoko! Just wanted to welcome ya to the forum! Another instructor? Geez, the place is getting crowded – aint it cool?😀

BTW he’s a transfer from San Antonio – and the world just got smaller

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: