Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Becoming a Krav Maga Instructor

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster
    quote Ryan:

jkk, the answer is, yes, they have (I’m one, for example.)

I think to qualify that statement you also should add that you came into phase with an extensive background and that your situation is not the norm rather an anomaly and testament to your ability. -At least thats how I see it.

Previous experience and impressive credentials can make an exception to the rule.

ryan

Fair enough. I was PM’d about this topic, and this was my reply:

“…the thing to remember is, years ago, there weren’t a lot of KM schools throughout the country, so in order to try and provide KM instruction to those other parts, a different approach was needed.

I already knew how to teach, had multiple black belts and fight experience, was an athlete, and worked my ass off during phase. I don’t tell you this to bolster me, but to demonstrate that I wasn’t just some guy off the street who had zero experience.

Have people passed that shouldn’t have? I am sure they have. I’m sure there are doctors out there that never should have passed med school. It happens, but the failure rate is about 30%, and I know of no one else in the industry with such a stringent instructor training program.

I hope this helps.”

cjs-dad
    Keymaster
    quote Ryan:

I already knew how to teach, had multiple black belts and fight experience, was an athlete, and worked my ass off during phase. I don’t tell you this to bolster me, but to demonstrate that I wasn’t just some guy off the street who had zero experience.

Thank you, that was my point. 😎

The staff said that they where not what they where looking for because I train at the location where the staff that evaluates if a student is ready for training is also teaches there. This was a year ago and I have increased the intensity and frequency of training as well as private lessons. So I am more skilled now. I don’t know if they would consider me now or not. I wanted to do the phase training because I felt that it would be intense training(I like challenges too) But what I have found out, at least for my self that learning is an ongoing process and it is marathon not a sprint. I learned so much over a longer period of time rather than cramming a great deal of training in 8 hours a day for a week.
    Not to say that that is bad, but for me I learn better with repetition and time.
    Like an old martial art teacher told me “To become efficient with a technique you must do it at least ten thousand times”

Randy

j-r-cook

Re: Becoming a Krav Maga Instructor

Steve,
    Nice reply post on becoming an instructor. Hey what did I screw up creating my forum ID? I want that cool print under my name that says instructor. Oh and remember Krav fans, its hard to get and even harder to keep! Dimplomas, degrees, and certifications are great but its what you do everyday that counts. So Steve, get off the computer and get back out into the alleys and bushes and keep the bad guys in cuffs so I can sleep tonight.

Jamie

mara-jade

quote J.R.Cook:

Steve,
    Nice reply post on becoming an instructor. Hey what did I screw up creating my forum ID? I want that cool print under my name that says instructor. Oh and remember Krav fans, its hard to get and even harder to keep! Dimplomas, degrees, and certifications are great but its what you do everyday that counts. So Steve, get off the computer and get back out into the alleys and bushes and keep the bad guys in cuffs so I can sleep tonight.

Jamie

Sean can fix that – he fixed ME and made me the Welcoming Committee :D;)

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Jamie are you an instructor with Steve and where did you do phase may I ask?

stevetuna

Sean – Jamie went through Phase A in L.A. last year. He sucks. The ladies all come to his classes just to look at him. Needless to say, I never stand anywhere near him… He also beats me like a drum when we spar, clearly demonstrating a lack of respect for the elderly.

Jamie teaches a great class. He instills into every one of his students the special Krav Maga spirit that says to never quit and to keep fighting. He pushes us hard and leads from the front, as they say in the military world. We in Nantucket owe the layout of our studio to Jamie’s smarts, as well. He has set up the mat retention system and developed a safe storage area for our kettlebells. Jamie’s the kind of guy who you could call in the middle of the night if you were in a jam and he’d get his butt out of bed to help you out. That’s a high compliment in my world, for sure!!!

The coolest thing about Jamie, however, is that his son Jensen was born ready to throw the hammerfist! Krav Maga techniques instilled at birth – it doesn’t get much better than that!!!

bradm

quote jjk:

Has anyone ever become an Instructor in Krav Maga without ever having taken Krav Maga before?

Just to tailgate on what Ryan and some others have said. I know if several who have attended and passed Phase A (and some cases phase B & C) without ever having any prior Krav experience. And as Ryan said that may have been more of the norm a few years ago. And they all had a strong background in Martial Arts. My first two Krav instructors were two of them.

j-r-cook

Sean,
    Thank you for editing my profile username. I am an instructor with Steve at KM Nantucket. My phase A was June 2006, NTC LA. My wife and I had a boy January 2007 so I am “Jensen’s Dad”.
    Steve actually has to pay our female students to come to my classes so I don’t feel bad about being 36, out of shape, and in need of some serious Bas style conditioning in prep for phase B.
    Seriously, I love teaching people how to defend themselves against violent encounters, which are becoming all too common.
    My humble advice for anyone wanting to go to phase training: train in Krav Maga for 6 months minimum and be physically fit.

Jamie

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Congrats on Jenson~

Let me know if your coming to town for phase B Iíd love to meet up.

kravkingdom

I’m still trying to figure out if the instructors at my school are certified but in the meantime, the piece that causes me concern is that every instructor will give you a different answer regarding technique or even teach skills/techniques differently. Is this common?

leejam99

I would say that teaching is or could vary because everyone’s body and their movement is different along with how the individual take in the material when they are being taught. It is natural to teach the way that works for you and therefore teaching methods can differ per instructor. To me, this is actually a plus because i get to learn from different perspective or different methods for a particular technique. This is why I encourage students to take classes from different instructors as much as they can. One instructors explanation might not make sense to you but another might.

The big question is are the PRINCIPLE(s) of Krav maga or the PRINCIPLE(s) of that techniques being taught in different ways? this would be a no no.

James

psyops

All,

I can say is that Phase A is brutal. I had James and Michael for Phase A. a few years ago and it was April in Las Vegas. Everyday was 100 degrees and up. It is grueling. It pushes you. It does not build character. It reveals character. You will know who you are when you finish. If you finish. It is not easy. It should not be easy. I can personally testify to the fact that Phase A is much harder than Phase B or Phase C.

Well that is unless that sick bastard Brent shows up to Phase B. Sick Bastard is meant with the deepest respect. Brent is a wonderful instructor. He is also a very sick bastard! I still get physically ill when I think about the drills he made us do!

kravkingdom

LeeJam99 – Thanks for your response. I like it and it makes sense. I’ll pay closer attention to any differences in teaching principle rather than technique. The one other question I have though concerns test day. What if Instructor A’s technique made more sense to me and therefore I do the skill that way but Instructor B is testing me. Should it make a difference as long as I don’t violate any of the Krav principles?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: