Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics History Channel’s Human Weapon: Krav Maga

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    davidx

I havenít seen it mentioned on any of the Human Weapon threads and thought some of you would like to know that the concept for the show came from Krav Maga black belt holder Terry Bullman. He sold the concept to the History channel and has participated in the production of the show. Terry also can be ìseenî on the show; he is one of the people used for the cool computer ìanimationî showing the techniques. –David

cj

Regarding open hand strikes on Human Weapon. When I trained in a combative system (pre- KM), the rule of thumb was open hand neck & up, and closed or open below the neck. Because that was the systems focus and I trained that way 6 to 8 hours per week it became \”ingrained\” in me. Both closed and open hand are effective, but I prefer open hand to the head/neck areas in most instances. It seems that many military systems do too. I’ve been trying to get my KM school to train open hand techs, but i’m getting a definite impression there is concern about legal ramifications.

g-v

I think open hand strikes are superior to closed fist.

giant-killer

Legal ramifications? In what sense?

cj

Giant Killer, I started this thread a couple of times and then deleted it and started over. I just don’t want to come off sounding like I’m bashing my KM school. I really like the owner and the instructors. I guess what it comes down to is eye and throat strikes are more lethal than punching someone in the face, even if the attacker may be intending to kill you. But, to answer your question, legal ramifications against the owner.

CJ

giant-killer

Oh, so if they taught you to hit the throat/eye and then you do it, someone could sue your school? Hmmm, I guess it’s the US, lawsuit country, 😉 , but would that have much success? If it could have, it means that any fighting/SD school could be sued for teaching their students SD techniques. That would suck. 🙁

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Oh, so if they taught you to hit the throat/eye and then you do it, someone could sue your school? Hmmm, I guess it’s the US, lawsuit country, 😉 , but would that have much success? If it could have, it means that any fighting/SD school could be sued for teaching their students SD techniques. That would suck. 🙁

Thats BS, then every San Soo, kenpo, Wing Chun, Karate, Korean style… never mind… They all teach it 😀

jl

I think GK was stated that it would suck IF in fact that could happen.

Here are a couple of things to think about.

To follow it up, waivers are yor friend, for the instructor as well as the school. Each student should have them both in there respective files.

Insurance on you as the instructor unless covered by the Dojo itself.

Also, in my state it costs $130 to register as an LLC (Limited Liability Company). It isn’t the solve for everything but it does add a layer of protection of your personal belongings.

JL

clfmak

I’m not sure about the legal ramifications of open vs closed hand strikes issue. Either can cause damage to the attacker or defender depending on how they are done. A fist or open hand can be lethal depending on how they are applied, or they can cause little damage. A hard punch can break a fist, a hard palm strike can damage the figers or wrist if done incorrectly.

psyops

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

maskedkat

Re:

quote \”Psyops\:

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

Exactly.

I think the school owner may be overly cautious – dare I say paranoid?

By that logic, the NRA could be sued because they taught me to effectively defend myself using a legally-owned gun. I cannot imagine that in a legitimate self-defense situation there would be any sort of criminal or civil charges that would stick. Mind you, that doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t TRY to sue but if the fear of someone possibly trying to sue me dictated my behavior, I probably wouldn’t leave the house.

jburtonpdx

\”Mind you, that doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t TRY to sue but if the fear of someone possibly trying to sue me dictated my behavior, I probably wouldn’t leave the house\”

and even if sued, consider this, which is worse? Getting sued, or killed/raped/receiving severe bodily harm? Again, I will deal with the court and smile because I am alive to do so, or even more important, because my wife and or kids are alive to be there.

myside-aghh

Gentleman and Ladies,

Shalom!! As a newcomer to Krav Maga, I was somewhat confused initially as to what you all were saying regarding Krav Maga and Commando Krav Maga.

Not to oversimplify, but in any self defense system there will always be healthy rivalries. These will always be HEALTHY rivalries if everyone says \”Hey I have been taught a great system, but I’m not too good to take advice from anyone elses at all.\” Consequently, exchanges of ideas will flow and education and learning is fomented. Krav Maga, Commando Krav Maga, who’s better!?! Who’s Legit!?!?……ok lets make an analogy using another martial art…Kung Fu…I’ve studied for some time. There’s Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese…both are good, both are awesome, but sometimes kung fu students get caught up with \”My Kung Fu is stronger than your Kung Fu.\” type of thinking. There are hundreds of systems of Kung Fu developed over hundreds of years, some of which are even 1000 years old. Guess What??? They all worked for certain people at certain times better than other systems. NONE of them are bad , wrong, phonies or knock offs. I am proud of both Imi and Moni.I am excited to say about there styles, as I have also said when I studied Kung fu, I will learn every thing I can about all of these systems. They are both realistic and modern, adapting to the contemporary setting. They both seem to use real world scenarios as well as some things that were around 1000 C.E. in the Shaolin temples. Furthermore, who knows, some of these things may have been around when King David was in Jerusalem.

To make a long story short, the proof is in the pudding and I am studying both Imi’s and Moni’s style. I have respect for them both and their systems.
    And lastly, as a Christian, I also have great love and respect for the Jewish people, Israel, the IDF and the fighting styles developed by that little democratic country who stands like brave little David surrounded by dozens oppressive Goliaths in the Middle East!!

Sorry about the politics part, people, but I am passionate about this fighting style and the people from which it came.

L’Chaim

oneness

I don’t post much here anymore, but thought I would mention this as some might be interested.

Bas Rutten will be on the Human Weapon show this coming weekend. The show will focus on Mixed Martial Arts.

On a side note. You can break your hand either way with a plam strike or closed fist. It doesn’t matter how you strike or where you strike. If that is your decision over one than the other, you are mistaken. The difference should be based off of distance, that should be your only deciding factor.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

[quote:514741aca9=\”Oneness\”]I don’t post much here anymore, but thought I would mention this as some might be interested.
    [/quote:514741aca9]

Nice to see you in the forums, I wish youíd come around more often. I guess Iíll just wait until your back in town for more training at Sherman Oaks during the next round.

Donít be such a stranger, I for one know you have a lot to add to the conversations.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: