Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    mdedwards

Is there a difference between the organizations or are they related? I’m trying to sort this all out!

TX
    mike

kevin-mack

Re: ikmf or kmw?

Two different orgs that used to have a good relationship until a few years ago. The head of the IKMF is Eyal Yanilov who was one of Darren Levine’s(KMWW founder) teachers.
    There used to be not much much of a difference but lately I see the IKMF going in a weird direction.

mdedwards

What sort of direction that would be considered weird? Does anyone know what sparked the differences or division?

What, if any, fundamental differences exist between training between the two organizations? Does this mean KM is destined to splinter like other martial arts have?

ryan

“Does anyone know what sparked the differences or division?”

I’m not sure what difference this makes. Everyone’s going to look at it with a different set of eyes.

At the end of the day, find someone you are comfortable with, who offers good training. That should be the barometer.

kevin-mack

money and politics sparked the division….technique variation seems to be an excuse being used.
    The weird direcetion I mentioned before is that many IKMF schools in Europe/Asia seem to be getting into what I would call “game playing” cute little games that are supposed to be building some sort of skill but to me looks like kindergarten recess.
    That being said…Eyal and his top Israeli instructors are great teachers. I just see this direction has their way to carve out an identity in the market and to keep people interested.

kevin-mack

for example:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ShZABlA3tkQ

skibum

Kevin, we did something similar on occasion and we are KMW school. I think this type of drill can serve several purposes: agility (hand quickness for gun disarms), aggressiveness, drilling in technique under stressful conditions (running relay, trying to win the race), change of pace from routine training.
    Just my $0.02.

kevin-mack

playing dodgball and spinning a yo-yo may also build some sort of attributes that may or may not improve someone’s KM but is it really the best use of one’s training time?
    The average person trains twice a week for about an hour. There are much more efficient training tools than playing tag and paddycake. I think all the giggling in the video I posted shows the mindset that comes from playing such games. We are fighters not gradeschoolers.

ryan

What the hell was that?

“agility (hand quickness for gun disarms), aggressiveness, drilling in technique under stressful conditions (running relay, trying to win the race), change of pace from routine training.”

Sorry, but I don’t buy any of that. Drills should be combat functional…they should replicate, as closely as possible, movements similar to fighting/self defense.

I’m wondering if it’s not just Krav Maga India:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xl_-dgmLla8&feature=related

mdedwards

I’m just hoping to learn more about the world of krav maga. I’m 6 weeks or so into training and it has not only started to kick my butt into shape but very practical at the same time as a means of knowing how to defend one’s self. I can definitely see myself wanting to persue learning to instruct at some point.

I just wondered about this–as my previous martial arts experience was TKD which is mainly splintered between WTF and ITF and they actually teach quite a varied set of techniques, etc…so just wondering if the same was true of these organizations.

thanks for the insights.

kevin-mack

I thought it may just be KM India but the class/seminar is being led by Gabi Noah a top IKMF instructor.

“I just wondered about this–as my previous martial arts experience was TKD which is mainly splintered between WTF and ITF and they actually teach quite a varied set of techniques, etc…so just wondering if the same was true of these organizations.”

short answer? Yes!
    There are 4 “legit” KM orgs…KMWW….IKMF…IKMA…KMF.
    Pick your flavor. We all have our preferences for whatever reason.

jamesh-d30

You know, as far as TKD and the different organizations go, correct me if i’m wrong but don’t they all deliver the jump/spinning/hook kick and such pretty much in a similar manner? Same goes for the front snap kick, the spinning back kick, etc. These are the core techniques of TKD and vary only slightly if at all. You may find similar small variations in some of the defenses (KM’s core techniques) but again, they will be small and usually not affect the technique at all.

Now, once you go outside of these two KM organizations and/or see variations in technique that leave little remaining of Imi’s principles, then you are most definitely NOT seeing KM, but instead someone trying to capitalize on what both organizations built.

The video reminds me of our “Rotating Self Defense” drill used often in KMW schools, but as Ryan said we make sure they are set up to mimic real life situations AND to exhaust the students so they will be drilling under stress. Outside of a warm up, I see little use for other ‘muscle memory’ or speed and agility drills by themselves in a Self Defense class. In a conditioning class though, absolutely.

quote Ryan:

What the hell was that?

Maybe that’s part of their warm up?

policynutz

I can tell you that the IKMF and KMW had a falling out due to KMW’s attempting to patent the generic term ‘krav maga’. IKMF schools in the US and Canada (would) have been in patent violation, thus forcing some from refraining from using the term ‘krav maga’, instead using the name ‘imi system’. I will tell you however, that I am all for patent protection if it keeps the imposters (you know who you are) from exploiting the original system as derived from Imi Lichtenfeld. As for the kind of drill being shown, even though they may look funny, and I swear that we have never done any drills like those at my school, I think the point is cardiovascular exercise, which is often used to fatigue students before doing technique focused exercises in order to stimulate performing techniques when one’s body is under different stresses. One last point, the IKMF has rigorous quality control in its schools all over the world. I don’t understand why someone would say that “they are going in a weird direction”. You will never hear about IKMF students being ripped of for their monthly fees by learning ‘cardio combat’ such as a few people on this forum are complaining about (I am not at all saying this is typical of KMW). My experience with IKMF has been nothing but hardcore training sessions, and I have been to other IKMF clubs worldwide and the standard has always been nothing less than what I am used to.

ryan

It’s funny how so many people fought for the right to use a “generic” term. If it’s so generic, what difference did it make? Why did groups in Israel also try to trademark the term?

Like I said earlier, make it about the training…the rest of this doesn’t matter much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: