Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    riight112

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to KM and have been training for a couple months now. I know every style has their own way of dealing with different scenarios and their own unique techniques and ways of doing things. I like to think that their is no one absolute superior style (maybe the differences lie with the practitioner). My question is what sort of weak areas are there in the KM style. I recall reading on another thread here that one thing is that there is not much offensive weapons technique, and no trapping and hand/energy drills, for the JKD folks.

Are there any areas that are lacking? If so, what are they? My plan is to attend seminars on various topics that may not be covered in my KM training.

Hopefully this doesn’t start any heated debates. Thanks in advance.

leejam99

Re: KM Weaknesses?

quote riight112:

Hi all,

I recall reading on another thread here that one thing is that there is not much offensive weapons technique…

well..it is called “Krav Maga self DEFENSE”…

Educate your self much as you can on every subject and styles. Keep what works for you, forget the rest.

taikei

I’m learning Krav Maga since November 2002, and they don’t have the defense for followings:

1. Cheese cake thrown at you, no way to defend.
    2. Dogs lick your face, no way to defend.

Compared to mix martial art and other competitive martial arts, I cannot say Krav Maga is defensive. Fire arm defense and take away in 5 seconds, no need for trapping.

There is one notable weakness of the Krav fighting stance that only becomes apparent if you allow yourself to get into a boxing/kickboxing type of situation. The relatively square stance does leave you somewhat vulnerable to attacks straight up the middle. But getting into that type of situation in a self-defense type situation is never a good idea so the problem never should really show itself except in sparring situations. And if you do get into that sitution, especially in sparring, knowing that the stance leaves you vulnerable up the middle is enough to keep you safe, as you will be looking for those attacks and be ready with your inside defense and front kick defenses…

jburtonpdx

quote taikei:

I’m learning Krav Maga since November 2002, and they don’t have the defense for followings:

1. Cheese cake thrown at you, no way to defend.
    2. Dogs lick your face, no way to defend.

Compared to mix martial art and other competitive martial arts, I cannot say Krav Maga is defensive. Fire arm defense and take away in 5 seconds, no need for trapping.

Eat some of the cake, leave some for the dog….

don

Personally, I wouldn’t say that KM has any “weak areas” or “weaknesses” per se.

I would more likely say that, depending upon your personal training and experience, KM may teach a different solution to a problem or a different set of techniques in response to certain stimuli.

As far as KM “lacking” an area – depends upon what you’re looking to cover or what you’re comparing KM to.

There are plenty of areas/topics/subjects in the “realm of martial arts” that KM does not “cover” or “specialize in”. AFAIK, e.g., KM does not cover archery, or flexible weapons, or hand thrown projectile weapons, tatami cutting, jousting, falling anvils/pianos, acme rockets, zero gravity combat, etc etal.

OTOH, there are other styles/schools/arts/dojos/etc that might cover those areas but, in turn, “lack” what KM offers.

I don’t think anyone on here would say that you should take KM and only KM. Quite a few KM locations also offer additional training in other areas/subject matter.

riight112

That’s very insightful, fred_jennings. Thanks very much for your response!

quote fred_jennings:

There is one notable weakness of the Krav fighting stance that only becomes apparent if you allow yourself to get into a boxing/kickboxing type of situation. The relatively square stance does leave you somewhat vulnerable to attacks straight up the middle. But getting into that type of situation in a self-defense type situation is never a good idea so the problem never should really show itself except in sparring situations. And if you do get into that sitution, especially in sparring, knowing that the stance leaves you vulnerable up the middle is enough to keep you safe, as you will be looking for those attacks and be ready with your inside defense and front kick defenses…
    riight112

I agree with you, Don. Maybe I worded the original question incorrectly. Another way of putting it is what sort of supplemental training is good to take on top of KM?

Are weapons usage taught in KM? I mean this in the offensive manner and not so much defensive or disarming an assailant.

Thanks for the responses thus far (well, the serious one at least…. )

quote Don:

I don’t think anyone on here would say that you should take KM and only KM. Quite a few KM locations also offer additional training in other areas/subject matter.
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Weapon on weapon is covered in the advanced material. Knife/Knife – Stick/Stick but its still from a defensive perspective (at least from what I’ve seen)

Having said that, as was mentioned before KM is primarily a defensive system. KMs meant to protect you and your family etc from attacks from those types of weapons.

riight112

Good to know CJ’s Dad. Thanks for the input.

quote CJs Dad:

Weapon on weapon is covered in the advanced material. Knife/Knife ñ Stick/Stick but its still from a defensive perspective (at least from what Iíve seen)

Having said that, as was mentioned before KM is primarily a defensive system. KMs meant to protect you and your family etc from attacks from those types of weapons.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Where are you training in Cali?

blanker

you have come to the wrong forum if you want to discuss anything other then krav magas infallibility.

krav maga is a very good martial art and what i like about it is the basic philopathy of keeping everything simple but it is by no means a perfect system. alot of the techniques just dont work in the real world also treating every threat like its a life or death thing will quickly get you arrested and along jail sentance if you for instance take someones life over a petty scrap. the biggest fault with krav maga is a large number of the people practicing it refuse to keep it eveolving as thats not what krav maga.

simon

Was this a serious answer?

quote blanker:

you have come to the wrong forum if you want to discuss anything other then krav magas infallibility

Thatís just a ridicules statement

quote :

krav maga is a very good martial art

Krav Maga is a reality based self defense system

quote :

alot of the techniques just dont work in the real world

And you base your opinion on what?

quote :

treating every threat like its a life or death thing will quickly get you arrested

As soon as Krav Maga does that let me know ok?

quote :

refuse to keep it eveolving

I’m sorry that your training has stagnated fortunately for many if not all of us training at a KMWW center nothing is further from the truth.

Your comments are extremely one sided and uneducated. I donít know where your training but termination and antiquated techniques that as you put it donít work or will land you in jail are NOT the norm.

So until you experience what is being offered by KMW instruction you would be better served keeping your ignorant comments to yourself.

But hey thats just MY opinion.

To the OP don’t listen to this guys negativity train hard and enjoy yourself

don

I don’t really agree with blanker but he does bring up some food for thought.

If you are training in self-defense – are you prepared to Really use it if/when the time comes (e.g. if you buy a gun for home defense, are you willing to take someone else’s life, when would you shoot, etc)? Will you be able to stop if/when the threat is over? What will you do after defending yourself (leave the area, call the police, etc)? Do you know your local statutes/laws regarding civilian use of force/self-defense? Would you know how to articulate your use of force to the police, to a lawyer, to a judge/jury?

If you are out and about with your loved ones, are they also trained? Have you trained together as a team? Do they know what to do or what you would want them to do ISHTF?

farhan

quote Don:

I don’t really agree with blanker but he does bring up some food for thought.

If you are training in self-defense – are you prepared to Really use it if/when the time comes (e.g. if you buy a gun for home defense, are you willing to take someone else’s life, when would you shoot, etc)? Will you be able to stop if/when the threat is over? What will you do after defending yourself (leave the area, call the police, etc)? Do you know your local statutes/laws regarding civilian use of force/self-defense? Would you know how to articulate your use of force to the police, to a lawyer, to a judge/jury?

If you are out and about with your loved ones, are they also trained? Have you trained together as a team? Do they know what to do or what you would want them to do ISHTF?

But that is more of an issue with the Dynamics and circumstances rather than KM itself, don’t you think? In other words, you could pose the same questions if the person were to train in BJJ.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: