Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    michaelmall

Re: KM Weaknesses?

I have to commit on this,Blanker if your opponent
    has a reach advantage on you why would I throw
    a palm strike.When you work on a car do you use
    one tool or several tools.

kms1974

quote slappy:

One thing I’ve found missing from what I have learned in my KM training is offensive techniques. Though Krav is defensive, there are scenarios in which offensive attacks would be useful. For instance, say I am with a friend and we are attacked by two assailants. If I manage to quickly dispatch the one attacking me, I will want to offensively engage the other attacker who is still tied up with my friend. There are things I have learned that I could use in this situation, but my Krav training has never specifically prepared me for it like it has for when I am being attacked myself.

I don’t really see anything in the standard curriculum that directly addresses this. There may be some law enforcement or third party protection techniques, but I don’t have any experience with those programs.

Any of the strikes can be used offensively. They can be thrown from both the fighting stance and the passive stance. Head butts can be used offensively as well. I guess if i were going to help a friend in a fight, a push kick or groin kick from the rear could be effective.

greenbeanie

quote Kms1974:

Any of the strikes can be used offensively.

I concur. Since action is always faster than reaction, I will strike first (offensive) if I feel threatened. I will be at the “A” (action) part of the OODA loop. My strike will put my opponent at the first “O” (observation) part of the OODA loop and puts me in a position of advantage.

slappy

quote Kms1974:

Any of the strikes can be used offensively. They can be thrown from both the fighting stance and the passive stance. Head butts can be used offensively as well. I guess if i were going to help a friend in a fight, a push kick or groin kick from the rear could be effective.

I completely agree. We learn a number of things that can be used offensively. My point was only that we never train like that. I have never had instruction that goes like this: Your opponent is standing with his back to you while punching your friend, this is what you do, get with your partner and do it five times each.

kirsten

quote greenbeanie:

I concur. Since action is always faster than reaction, I will strike first (offensive) if I feel threatened. I will be at the “A” (action) part of the OODA loop. My strike will put my opponent at the first “O” (observation) part of the OODA loop and puts me in a position of advantage.

FINALLLY!! THANK YOU! I been preaching the OODA loop for YEARS… and I am still amazed that people get that dumb-founded look on their faces when I mention it to a room of cops and military… This man understood the advantages of training from a position of disadvantage and raised it to an entirely new level. REALLY torques me when some of the Air Force guys have no idea who Boyd is… It’s like teaching self-denfense and having no idea who Gavin DeBecker is.

quote Kirsten:

FINALLLY!! THANK YOU! I been preaching the OODA loop for YEARS… and I am still amazed that people get that dumb-founded look on their faces when I mention it to a room of cops and military… This man understood the advantages of training from a position of disadvantage and raised it to an entirely new level. REALLY torques me when some of the Air Force guys have no idea who Boyd is… It’s like teaching self-denfense and having no idea who Gavin DeBecker is.

I don’t know that I’d put a data-mashing computer programmer at the same level as a Decorated combat pilot (who defined and implemented a tactical thought process out of personal combat experience) but I see where you’re going……:): The fact that so many in our chosen field refuse to take their professional knowledge and educational responsibilities seriously infuriates me as well. Don’t even get me started on the physical aspects……

bradm

Hey, lighten up on the Air Force guys.

I was complimenting the Air Force guy! It was the other guy that I was making fun of. Besides, I think Boyd started out in the Army Air Corps.

rd672

From an old AF guy 1975 who’s been teaching Krav 7 plus years and has been training from a position of disadvantage since 1975.You can’t teach combat or law enforcement experience,but you can teach with realism and passion.Also growing up in the hood, Crooklyn,position of disadvantage 🙂

bradm

quote Jeremy Stafford:

I was complimenting the Air Force guy! It was the other guy that I was making fun of. Besides, I think Boyd started out in the Army Air Corps.

Jeremy,
    My post was referring to Kristen’s about being ticked off at the Air Force guys not knowing who Boyd was. And at that I ment no harm in it, I ment it to be in a joking manner. My appoligies to you and Kristen if it was taken in the wrong text.

rd672,
    I’m an old Air Force guy too (26 1/2 years). July 1960 – December 1986.

kirsten

quote BradM:

Jeremy,
    My post was referring to Kristen’s about being ticked off at the Air Force guys not knowing who Boyd was. And at that I ment no harm in it, I ment it to be in a joking manner. My appoligies to you and Kristen if it was taken in the wrong text.

rd672,
    I’m an old Air Force guy too (26 1/2 years). July 1960 – December 1986.

No, we love you old AF farts! My beef in general is that people are in positions of teaching defensive tactics as either civillians or LE officers and they have no clue who he was or about the OODA Loop. Its like trying to teach a math class and not understanding whole or rational numbers. Gotta understand the basics.

And yes, he started out it the Army. You can thank him for the F-16, the OODA Loop, Energy-Maneuverability Theory, and so many more amazing things. He was a begrudged person, when he died- they sent one or two officials from the Army and the AF to his funeral… I just think that is kinda sad.

Like Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said, Boyd was “the most influential military thinker since Sun Tzu wrote The Art of War 2400 years ago”.

greenbeanie

quote Kirsten:

It’s like teaching self-denfense and having no idea who Gavin DeBecker is.

rofl2When I read your post, I envisioned people searching the Web en masse to find out whom Gavin de Becker is.

kirsten

quote greenbeanie:

rofl2When I read your post, I envisioned people searching the Web en masse to find out whom Gavin de Becker is.

LOL. True… Hopefully those that don’t know him will get his books and read up, especially if they are teaching women’s rape prevention seminars. Its just a must, like Grossman and Boyd… All brilliant innovators!

Brad,
    Sometimes the Internet sucks, I was joking too. I have nothing but love and respect for most of my fellow Vets from all of the branches.

Kirsten,
    I’m actually going to a three day California POST symposium on the OODA loop and it’s application in modern law enforcement. I’ll report back.

greenbeanie

quote Kirsten:

Hopefully those that don’t know him will get his books and read up, especially if they are teaching women’s rape prevention seminars.

My first question to females that engage me in conversation about self-protection is always, ìHave you read the Gift of Fear?î

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: