Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and CrossFit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys.

A question for the instructors out there really. Does anyone else teach Krav and Crossfit. I am a Krav instructor and C/F affiliate. The reason I ask as I wondered how other instructors schedule lessons. We train Krav hard and CrossFit hard but some students still attend both. As both are fairly exhausting I wondered how other instructors combined them.

stevetuna

Re: Krav Maga and CrossFit

Great question. We just added CrossFit to our facility (CrossFit-ACK) and will have to figure this out as well. I’ll let you know what works / doesn’t for our place and you do the same for me!

Good luck!

nixxon

I train Krav Maga and Crossfit. Or at least I did until I started taking Jiu Jitsu and overtraining…. Love em both.

Good luck on your affiliate!

garddawg

Been teaching Krav for 7 and CrossFit for about 5 years. Tried to meet up with you Paul 3 years ago when I was in London about 3 years ago.

Nixxon, where you doing the Crossfit stuff in Tucson?

nixxon

quote Nickolas Cook:

Nixxon, where you doing the Crossfit stuff in Tucson?

Mostly on Davis-Monthan AFB. Sometimes I’ll meet up with people at Udall park but thats rarely the case. There is a yahoo group for Tucson Crossfit and I think SWAT Fitness just became an affiliate but I haven’t checked them out.

I’ve seen a few places advertising it. I was hoping maybe the east side Ultima was doing it and that it would make its way to the Ultima I attend. Not to side track the thread, but do you know what classes the eastside Ultima offers right now? The Ultima I attend had some recent shakeups so their offerings have narrowed.

garddawg

Paul,
    We had some brief discussions about CF around the time I was over there to do a seminar on Olympic weightlifting. You were really into Kettlebells as I recall. Are you heading to Manchester for the certification?

So we have been doing this a long time now. If you are going to run a CF class before the KM class the folks will need a break. Usually what we do is tell the CFitters that they can take an active rest during the Krav Maga warm up. They run, stretch etc. but skip anything high intensity. Then they are usually ready for the first drill and good to go through the rest of the class. Flipping it around a well conditioned CrossFitter can go through a KM class and use it as a warm up for CrossFit. It will take some time, but people that commit to both and give their all in both will be way ahead of the ones who don’t.

kirsten

Great thread!

We are adding CF later this year or early next year and I am already using their workouts and methods in classes. I have a “conditioning class” that was initially geared to my MMA guys but the KM students like it too. I pick a workout like “Annie” and incorporate it and stay away from the heavy lifts and such for the class (Not to mention that Olympic lifting should be taught by a certified instructor and I am not yet). I focus on the cardio and body weight exercises for the CF workout in this class. For weights, I have specific routines that I use for the entire body that focus on endurance, not just power. We are hoping to add kettlebells soon.

I am hoping that after certification I will add the rest of the program but I am gearing the heaving lifting towards my health club clients and only offering it two days a week for my MMA guys hoping that this will cut down on the likelihood of their overtraining. We also use plyometrics and “Paresi methods” in our training on alternate days. I keep these classes to 60 minutes including the warm-up and stretching because after they have striking, grappling, sparring, wrestling or KM classes…

garddawg

Kirsten,
    Where are you going to be certified?

kirsten

I am not sure… they fill up FAST! I am hoping to only have to travel as far as California and there is slim pickings right now… any suggestions?

nixxon

quote Nickolas Cook:

I’ve seen a few places advertising it. I was hoping maybe the east side Ultima was doing it and that it would make its way to the Ultima I attend. Not to side track the thread, but do you know what classes the eastside Ultima offers right now? The Ultima I attend had some recent shakeups so their offerings have narrowed.

Nick,

The east side does personal training, Mark Howard (Who I’m pretty sure you know since he instructs west side from time to time uses Crossfit principals but not the name. I introduced him to Crossfit and I believe he was interested.

East side does… BJJ, MMA, Krav, Wing Chun, Capoeia, they will be starting Aikido shortly as well.

I actually went to the west side last thursday to roll for BJJ. I guess Krav ends around the same time BJJ starts. I’m going to actually start going to the west side for BJJ every once and a while. My girlfriend’s sister Ashley is the office manager and she does Chun Kuk Do there when I do BJJ.

Yes, I know Ashley. Nice girl, very helpful. I’m sure I’ll see in BJJ as I’m leaving Krav. Look for the big guy with the bruises and a nasty limp. HA! Still thinking about BJJ myself. Waiting to see what’s going to happen with Chance and his new studio.

nixxon

quote Nickolas Cook:

Yes, I know Ashley. Nice girl, very helpful. I’m sure I’ll see in BJJ as I’m leaving Krav. Look for the big guy with the bruises and a nasty limp. HA! Still thinking about BJJ myself. Waiting to see what’s going to happen with Chance and his new studio.

Ahh yeah. We’ll I’m not sure when I’ll be back training. Something in my knee is messed up and my doc says she wants to wait it out to see if pain subsides with RICE before getting an MRI. She thinks it might be a torn meniscus or some kind of tendonitis from all the kicking and rolling (punishment) I do. But I’ll probably come and watch the BJJ class at least in the next few days and take my girl to karate. I’m really tall guy with short brown hair (militaryish haircut) I will also be limping. Is your limp from the left or right leg. If its the right maybe we can skip the crutches and just use each other like siamese twins!

Hi

currently we run 2 x 1 hour krav classes then short focused crossfit sessions of 30 minutes total (20 minutes work). Some of the students have made phenomenal progress. Crossfit is literally to finish off the survivors, but the students love it.

I was reviewing our schedule and I wondered if other people did krav first or last or seperate the two completley. The reason we do krav first is thatit is my understanding is that fatigue impairs the learning of new skills and crossfit is great but just a little tiring 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: