Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and CrossFit

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Krav Maga and CrossFit

quote Nemo_Dat:

Hey, I dunno why you wanna go there again but OK.

First: I came on this board wanting input on the midterm subject and how mandatory midterms are holding people back. Me specifically, yes. I’m not quite sure why you’re telling me about when and where you are. For what reason? You wanna throw down? Is that some kind of challenge because I have somehow threatened your little niche here in cyberspace? I am not in your neck of the woods my man. If I ever am I may check out your gym and we can spar, sure.

Second: Am I am not an “expert” on how to work out (neither are you). I know more than the average bear and you can see that in my posts. People can take that for what they want. I am not hear to satisfy you or anyone else with my credentials, I’ll let my posts speak for themselves. People can take them or leave them. Your interest in what I say would suggest that they are valid. I am staying anon right now due to my initial post and my real job. That’s the way it is, take it or leave it.

Finally: I don’t believe I am ignorant on CF. It is a good system. I have said that already. I don’t however believe that it is the be all end all for combat sports. That can’t be that hard to understand… right?

Its lines like the “Neither are you” that start stuff. I don’t necessarily like the word expert because people tend to self proclaim the title, but GD has put the time in to learn his craft and is continuing his education on a regular basis. He’s not an I took one cert and read some stuff on the net so I know it all kind of guy. His background is known as well as he’s proved his worth. I ask his advice regularly and I have access to some great S&C guys

Believe it or not this isn’t his little niche in cyberspace and in reality he doesn’t post here much. He has been extremely giving of his time in helping anyone who asks here. This is an extremely big Effing deal because he has a family, 2 gyms, and a forum to run. It doesn’t really help him to help us as you say he’s not near most of us.

I think his first 2points are where you should be looking if your interested in understanding his post.

I alluded to it in my last post to you. In your defense by your response to my post I think you may be on the verge of getting it. In an effort to create harmony, I’m wasting my time on this post:D:

When I read your posts back I got a newbie with no credibility claiming he’s being held back while guys who couldn’t fight their way outta a paper bag are being promoted above me and then pretty much saying xfit sucks and your a personal trainer so we should take your word for it. As I said in most places you have to prove your worth.

Now personally I’m holding up hope that your not getting how your being percieved. I’ve explained it in the other post so I won’t go into it here, but we get alot of that initially from new people. GD’s not asking for your resume but if I was going to give you advice wouldn’t you want to know I knew what I was talking about. GD has that established. Unfortunately your some guy that showed up last week ;):

I’ll give an example you posted a link that looks interesting. I put it on a sideburner to look at when I have time. GD sends me an article to read, I read it immediately. Why? Because I know if he took the time to send it, it has value based on history and he also has an attitude of service and not self promotion. We don’t know any of this about you…YET.

You may have a lot to contribute to this forum but GD gave you some solid advice about establishing some cred and taking some time for guys to get to know you

As far as xfit is concerned and a lot of MMA type training goes, is the element of time a typical krav student has to devote to training. MMA is a career, even at amatuer levels. RBSD or Krav is different animal as most don’t have the extra time to add a lot of S&C sessions to the training schedule. Its also like krav, principle based, so that once the princples are learned you can be self coached or at least find free support and w/o’s. Its a very user friendly system. Is it the only system of course not. But it offers a lot of bang for the buck

Hope this helps and good luck with your training

nemo-dat

Thanks unstpabl1, one interpretation of your post would be that it is somewhat patronizing. However, Iím sure that is not what you intended, so I wonít take it that way.

As far as garddawg being one heck of a guy, I donít doubt it. What I do know is that the posts on this thread have not been dripping with congeniality.

(1) I accept CF is a decent program however I do not believe it to be the best for mma (or Krav); (2) Even though Iíve been stepped to and think it kinda inappropriate given the circumstance I will check out garddawgís gym if I ever make the 20 hour drive to his neck of the woods; (3) the advice I have given is sound, it is open for scrutiny and it can be taken for what its worth, I donít gain anything by giving it, I donít even own a gym or train people for money anymoreÖ talk about having nothing to gain!

garddawg

Nemo,
    I wrote a long response and then trashed it. Your first post framed my view of you. Next you came to this thread and likened CF to Tae Bo. It appeared you demeaned the hardwork of SEAL’s and Marines. Might not have been your intention, but it surely wasn’t a good start. Unfortunate because we probably could have had a good discussion.

As unstpabl1 stated, where I am at and who I am is readily available to all. I will make this friendlier if you ever want to stop in the door is open. Welcome to the forums.

the-hammer

Hmmm, I surely don’t want to step in the middle of this, but as an impartial observer, I’m not sure why everyone is getting so enraged about Nemo’s posts. Seems to me, all he is saying is that he likes Crossfit fine, but that he thinks there are some other programs that are similar or even better. Whether anyone agrees with that or not, it’s just an opinion. No big deal.

dkatman

quote Roningai:

Where i train Crossfit is 3xs a week, i’m going to start this week.i’m so scared :chair:it looks brutal. i’ve been training KM for 3 weeks i feel my physical level has gone up but i know crossfit will destroy that thought. I know this will help me for the test but mostly overall just be good for me.thumbsup

Roningai,

I have an interest in crossfit, since first reading about it when I started Krav (Thanks to GardDawg a year ago). Of course, this interest hasn’t progressed to the point of getting me out there to actually do it. And one of these newer schools is VERY close to me and is run by very respected people in the community.

Please start a thread to track how it is going for you and how you like it.

Thanks,
    Dave:beer:

dkatman

quote The Hammer:

Hmmm, I surely don’t want to step in the middle of this, but as an impartial observer, I’m not sure why everyone is getting so enraged about Nemo’s posts. Seems to me, all he is saying is that he likes Crossfit fine, but that he thinks there are some other programs that are similar or even better. Whether anyone agrees with that or not, it’s just an opinion. No big deal.

I understand your point of view.

I have read a couple of crossfit and training threads in the past.

I will first say that crossfit practitioners are very passionate about their program and so pleased with the results that they don’t see any other way to train because of this(Please take this in a good way). I am thinking of posts I read when I first came aboard from Garddawg challenging people who spend many wasted hours in a gym not getting the results they were really after. It did get me to look into at least the principles of the program. It makes sense.

I think the other thing that came into play was the thread itself. It was a thread started by a crossfitter asking other crossfitters about training frequencies and whether or not they experienced burnout training Crossfit and KM in the same night. It was really a question on what system should one train or what is best.

Although, he might have still found that if it was a different post also.

That was my thought on it.

Dave

unstpabl1

quote DKatman:

Roningai,

I have an interest in crossfit, since first reading about it when I started Krav (Thanks to GardDawg a year ago). Of course, this interest hasn’t progressed to the point of getting me out there to actually do it. And one of these newer schools is VERY close to me and is run by very respected people in the community.Dave:beer:

Its the stating part thats the hardest, well if you don’t count doing it the next day or the day after that. That whole 3 stooges act that goes on in your head. I usually listen to Larry who says Screw this and order a pizza:tantrum:

unstpabl1

quote The Hammer:

Preception of a couple threads not just this one. And its not a big deal:beer: Welcome to forum though don’t tell Mara Jade I said that. There is a restraining order against me and newer posters:wav: Though nobody will tell me why?
    rofl2

stevetuna

A friend of one of my fellow officers accompanied him to yesterday’s CrossFit class. This guy was very cut. He told me that he works out every day, either banging the weights around or running.

He did five rounds of kettlebell dead lifts (50), kettlebell swings (40), walking lunges (30), sit-ups (20), pull-ups (10) and renegade man-makers (5). It was all he could do to get through it!

He’s hooked now, he said. He was all about getting on the web site and finding a CrossFit place near his home.

That’s what CrossFit is all about.

kirsten

I have said it before and will again, I really believe in the benefits of CF when paired with KM, or BJJ, or MMA, or any school sport for that matter. I can’t wait to get certified, but until then we do the simple (LOL) workouts that incorporate just body weight and calisthenics. Anyone can do these and with little if any equipment.

Yesterday I had them to a 50-40-30-20-10 (Annie style) workout using squats (no weights) and full sit-ups. They were dying but LOVED it and it took only a max of 7 min’s from the rest of my class. Anyone can do these workouts and anywhere, it’s pure genius.

Sorry for the rant, I just get really excited about all the CF talk…

the-hammer

Thanks for the welcome! Just trying to keep the peace. Looked like a huge fight was about to break out. :Unsure:

Anyway, I’ve done some Crossfit myself and really like it. I think it works well with Krav Maga. So, I guess I’m generally on your side. I just thought that Nemo was only expressing an opinion and didn’t see much harm in it.

unstpabl1

quote The Hammer:

Thanks for the welcome! Just trying to keep the peace. Looked like a huge fight was about to break out. :Unsure:

Anyway, I’ve done some Crossfit myself and really like it. I think it works well with Krav Maga. So, I guess I’m generally on your side. I just thought that Nemo was only expressing an opinion and didn’t see much harm in it.

Fight:confused: Awesome. I’m in. Who do i get to piss off today:box: What kind of Self defense/MA forum would this be if a fight didn’t breakout once in a while.:chair:. Look at all the smilies they have with fight themes LOL

I have no side. I think xfit is a great program. The link Nemo sent would certainly follow Xfit principles. If it was designed specifically for Monson, It would’ve been better if it couuld’ve added some height and reach;): I think like krav we need to look at the princples were learning and the application. Xfit really doesn’t cost anything to learn the principles and offered everything for free. Yes now you can join a gym and get excellent instruction which has been lacking in most gyms forever and at hi dollar

Don’t be afraid to offer an opinion as that usually isn’t the problem. I been here a while and have had to defend a few:rolleyes:. I’m pretty sure I’m on the global krav owners/instructor hit list. I wear kevlar when I drive past krav studios.Heck I figure if you didn’t piss someone off today, you probably didn’t say anything

Just don’t let anyone else know I welcomed you here or even Nemo. They get a little pissy about that. Besides I got a reputation to uphold

garddawg

For those of you who insist that you don’t see how CrossFit can apply to warrior training this vids for you.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitGames08_KallistaCJFinals.wmv

nixxon

quote garddawg:

For those of you who insist that you don’t see how CrossFit can apply to warrior training this vids for you.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFitGames08_KallistaCJFinals.wmv

That’s heart.

Regardless if you agree with the CrossFit concept or not I dare those who knock it to do a WOD and tell me it was easy. I can do Krav warmups with ease for the most part and when I do CrossFit it makes me feel like I’m dying.

Having the guts to push through something like that really shows the warrior spirit.

Good on ya Kallista.

dkatman

That was incredible!!!!

She should be very proud. I had to watch it like 4 times to see the beginning. There was just so much with watching what was going on and then trying to read all of the text that was included for the story (great move to make sure people (me) knew what I was watching).

That is incredible strength to be able to pretty much match your body weight like that too.

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: