Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Krav Maga Videos Ohad Gidon-Born into it.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Ohad Gidon-Born into it.

quote Krav:

Now if IMI designed/cretaed a system that, let’s say, 90% (of course is not a exact percentage) of the time you should target your legs to the opponents groin, and someone demonstrates your system, throwing most of his leg techniques at different targets (in this case, a lot to the head), one can say that the Demo “doesn’t do justice” to the original system.

Krav Maga is a principle based system, principles which Imi put forward. If the technique as demonstrated does not adhere to even the most basic of those principles then its safe to say it is not a Krav Maga technique.

An extreme example would be the running joke in my signature file. The jumping spinning flying axe kick. Now if you took video of me doing multiple attacker defenses and I popped off with some acrobatic fancy yada yada kick would that be Krav Maga?

Iíve been known to do them during drills under stress when I’m tired and muscle memory takes over but I also do Haganah, Kapap, Kenpo, Escrima, Kali, Arnis, Hawaiian Lua and whatever else my body decides will work at that moment. I donít plan it, it just comes out. Right tool for my body in that situation ñ because >I< can. Emphasis on ìIî can.

Many forum members have watched me be attacked and do some crazy stuff, but it doesnít mean itís Krav Maga. If I canít teach it to the average guy, and it wonít work for 110 pound female then it doesnít follow the principles.

sdkraver

Obviously a superbly talented and hard working athlete. He is so fast it does look sped up, but the people in the background don’t look like they’re sped up, so I have to go with that it’s his actual speed.

I agree with CJs point about the high kicks, it’s something that just comes out on occasion. It can be useful, but it is high risk/high reward so I try not to use them.

I’m surprised no one has discussed the armbars, isn’t it preferable to avoid finishing on the ground? Even the world’s best grappler can’t fight two people when on the ground, it seems like any extra time spent there just opens you up to being stabbed or headstomped by your opponent’s buddy(ies).

krav

First of all, I totally agree with CJs Dad’s post!

Secondly, I would like to comment SDKraver post.

quote SDKraver:

I’m surprised no one has discussed the armbars, isn’t it preferable to avoid finishing on the ground? Even the world’s best grappler can’t fight two people when on the ground, it seems like any extra time spent there just opens you up to being stabbed or headstomped by your opponent’s buddy(ies).

Also in line with SDKraver thoughts!

Even if the case happens that you are in a really situation of 1 to 1, that I think is very rare, I think that people forget of more radical solutions that a lot of people are willing to use.
    We train already the targeting of the eyes, but there are people that actually bites!!! In fact, there is a video of Paul Vunak that he focus only biting techniques, especially using on the floor.

These type of techniques, makes very difficult the maneuvers that grappling of the floor needs to achieve a lock.
    If you see a MMA fight, normally they have to work hard on the floor to manage a lock. Would they be able to do it if his opponent could finger his eyes or bite him? I doubt it!

Following these thoughts, I don’t think that spending a lot of time on ground fighting (grappling style) is a good policy.

I think one should focus on self-defense techniques (including ground techniques), and improving his “standing” fighting abilities.

kevin-mack

Every kick Ohad performed in that video is in Imi”s original curriculum.
    Armbars are in the original curriculum but like the judo throws they are taught in the context of self defense and not randori.All the major judo throws are in KM but they are organized and taught in self defense responses but that doesnt mean the skillset cant be expended to the realm of offense.

rich-f

krav-

Please copy quotes correctly. I never commented on Haim’s videos. By the way, I have trained with the Gidon family and not only are they all skilled practitioners but they are incredible teachers. They spent an incredible amount of time drilling the basics into me in addition to teaching the advanced moves.

Rich F-hello-please advise me on how to actually view rhe vidios? I m new to the forum-I dont see how to click on to see the actual vidis-only can read the posts-sorry probably me but thats my question for the day-thanks oldsgtmajusmc

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!

The video link was in the first post in this thread – here you go:wav:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPpQs_4ZVlU

sdkraver

quote mara_jade:

Welcome to the forum!

The video link was in the first post in this thread – here you go:wav:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPpQs_4ZVlU

:woohoo: Way to be on it welcoming committee!

mara-jade

Aww thanks:D:

Good morning-thank you-interesting vidio-he is fast-FYI I am working in Kuwait so there is no KM classes here-I have attended classes in Portgugal and Athens Greece at KM schools plus over the years taken classes in the US-take care-whitewolf and thanks again

don

quote Kevin Mack:

Every kick Ohad performed in that video is in Imi”s original curriculum.

Ohad throws an axe kick at 2:39. Was that part of Imi’s original curriculum? Since KM is always adapting/progressing/improving, I would actually be interested in comparing the original curriculum with the modern KM curriculum…

A very late two or three pesos on the video (echoing much of what has already been said) and comments in this thread:

It’s a demonstration – it’s not live/real. It IS staged in the fact that the attacker is mostly stopping after the first technique to allow Ohad to demonstrate his trained responses.

Ohad looks very quick – it looks like he’s blended KM with TMA training.

There are Many more guys out there who look just as quick as or quicker than Ohad on various demo videos (e.g. a lot of Wing Chun guys, a lot of TMA kata guys, etc).

To say that your region of the world has the best practitioners or instructors hands down is, IMO, narrowminded and ignorant. There are a LOT of great practitioners and instructors ALL OVER THE WORLD. IMO, and this may sound arrogant, Southern California is a mecca for MA, MMA, DT, you name it, training. I believe that I have been fortunate enough to have trained with some of the best guys in the world at what they do respectively – I’m sure many others here feel the same way about who they’ve been fortunate enough to train with.

You can get away with “flash” or poor form/fundamentals as long as your skill level is substantially greater than your opponents’. The closer in skill you are (everything else being equal), the less likely you are going to be able to get away with poor fundamentals and/or risky techniques. I would not make the mistake of assuming that all of my opponents will be of low skill/ability level. It’s not so bad to try those techniques in sport (e.g. MMA) – if you guess wrong, worse case is you add a 1 to your loss column. For all the marbles in the street? hmmm maybe not…

Personally, I believe that KM IS a “martial art” – it prepares you for war/combat. Of course my definition of “martial arts” also encompasses firearms training too, etal.

Lastly, I happen to like the music. En garde! :abx: thumbsup

kevinmack

I know this is an old thread but I never noticed that last question directed at my comment. In the original curriculum you see the “axe kick” in Blue Belt.Thats also where it is taught in the KMWW curriculum.
    In the original curriculum you have “the regular forward kick to the chin” which is a high kick taught in yellow belt right next to the groin kick.
    In orange belt you have the “regular forward kick to the chin with the heel” which is another high kick.
    In green belt you have the “scissor kick” which is another high kick all taught at the beginning levels and placed in the system where they are according to Imi’s wishes.

kmman

quote Ryan:

MMA has little relevance. The participants are high level athletes, who fight for a living, in a sport environment. The 40 year old accountant, training twice a week to learn to defend his/her family, has little in common with that very narrow demographic.

Another shattered dream…..MMA off the bucket list 😉

joseph-kor

this might be of interest : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_quGyPF7iIY

@ 3:40 i think it’s the most live knife deflect i’ve seen,on youtube.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: