Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: new gun/knife disarms

quote ari-free:

If you think you know then you should just answer whether Krav defenses will work instead of playing these “my daddy can beat your daddy” games. If I knew what works, I’d be telling you, not asking you.

Let me remind you that YOU were the one who first stated your experience level (‘I read a book one time’) and then (when I called you on your lack of experience) who amended their training experience to include ‘I watched a video too’ and then ‘Oh, and I also learned “Filipino knife fighting” from my brother who trained in it’. Nothing about anyone’s daddy was mentioned.

For someone who self-admittedly does NOT know what works, you sure have an absolute opinion on what you THINK works/doesn’t work (and I also noticed you didn’t answer my question).

And I’m not wasting my time with you anymore – your cup of tea is already full, of crap…

::CLICK:: welcome to Ignore

catapult

About “does it work”, this is from the forward to Complete Krav Maga. There are plenty of other real-world testimonials out there.

quote :

In the spring of 2005, I was doing traffic enforcement and pulled over a drunk driver. The guy was totally uncooperative and drunk, cussing, saying he’s not going to get out of the car. I opened the driver door and used a twist lock to get the suspect out of the car. As he exited the car, I felt the suspect start to spin on me and saw him making a punching movement towards my head. I had just gone through a Krav Maga edged-weapon instructor course so I blocked what I thought was a punch and used an elbow strike to his head as a counterattack. I heard something metal hit the ground and saw a large folding knife lying next to us. I immediately followed up with knee strikes and the suspect collapsed to the ground. When I took the suspect to jail to book him, we noticed that he had large scars and cut marks across his chest in the shape of X’s. I asked him where he got those scars and the suspect said that he had been in a lot of knife fights. When we ran his rap sheet, we found he had been arrested 17 times and most of them for ADW (“assault with a deadly weapon”) with a knife. This guy was a knife fighter.

I have a background in Thai boxing, jeet kune do, and mixed martial arts. Although I liked Krav Maga, I thought I would use something else in the field. But Krav Maga came out of me so naturally that I didn’t even think about what I was doing and I never saw the knife, only the punch. I am totally sold on KM and you should take the training seriously.

ari-free

quote Don:

Let me remind you that YOU were the one who first stated your experience level (‘I read a book one time’) and then (when I called you on your lack of experience) who amended their training experience to include ‘I watched a video too’ and then ‘Oh, and I also learned “Filipino knife fighting” from my brother who trained in it’. Nothing about anyone’s daddy was mentioned.

For someone who self-admittedly does NOT know what works, you sure have an absolute opinion on what you THINK works/doesn’t work (and I also noticed you didn’t answer my question).

And I’m not wasting my time with you anymore – your cup of tea is already full, of crap…

::CLICK:: welcome to Ignore

That’s fine. I’ll just assume you probably don’t know what you are talking about, anyway. If you did, you would know how to deal with skeptical people instead of giving the standard “oh you just will never understand our deep secrets” response that I get from all the other kung fu masters out there.

Or this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAWFBbQa_84

Sorry.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

The simple answer to your question is yes, they work well.

Do I personally have variations and other techniques that took me a significant amount of time to learn, yes. But then they break several of the main principles of Krav Maga and since Krav Maga is a principle based system I would in fact no longer be doing Krav Maga.

Before we get into a “my daddy can beat your daddy” game.

Read my linkedin profile – I win http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanamerson

And although my knowledge of knife fighting is extensive and arguably one of the deepest at KMW Don’s FMA’s got me beat.

For the beginner who needs to come up to speed quickly, Kravs reality based principles and techniques win every time.

But hey, that’s just my opinion, having trained countless law enforcement, written the manuals, taught knife seminars and trained the Navy SEALs… I could be wrong. :dunno:

ari-free

quote catapult:

About “does it work”, this is from the forward to Complete Krav Maga. There are plenty of other real-world testimonials out there.

That’s not going to cut it. Here’s what I propose: get a bunch of people to perform the krav defenses against attackers from different styles (eg Kali, Silat and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0). Then get others to try other defenses against the attackers (including defenses from people who don’t know what they are doing as a control). We’ll be able to see which techniques are most effective, if any work at all.

catapult

quote ari-free:

That’s not going to cut it. Here’s what I propose: get a bunch of people to perform the krav defenses against attackers from different styles (eg Kali, Silat and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0). Then get others to try other defenses against the attackers (including defenses from people who don’t know what they are doing as a control). We’ll be able to see which techniques are most effective, if any work at all.

I get the feeling that nothing will “cut it” with you because your mind is already made up. Feel free to assemble your group of martial artists and do your experiment. Or you could save some time and listen to Don and Sean (CJs Dad) who have already been there, done that, worn out the t-shirt.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote ari-free:

I like to call that my Thursday level 5 class or my Friday 3/4, or La Rev (christians) any level class or Staffords advanced weapons class, or psysops classes. I can go on.

We have plenty of students who are Dog bros or various FMA’s.

No need to propose anything, thats the norm on any given day.

To assume we don’t pressure test the techniques is just ridicules.

ari-free

quote CJs Dad:

I like to call that my Thursday level 5 class or my Friday 3/4, or La Rev (christians) any level class or Staffords advanced weapons class, or psysops classes. I can go on.

We have plenty of students who are Dog bros or various FMA’s.

No need to propose anything, thats the norm on any given day.

To assume we don’t pressure test the techniques is just ridicules.

OK you won. That’s the answer I was looking for.

ari-free

quote catapult:

I get the feeling that nothing will “cut it” with you because your mind is already made up. Feel free to assemble your group of martial artists and do your experiment. Or you could save some time and listen to Don and Sean (CJs Dad) who have already been there, done that, worn out the t-shirt.

There are lots of other people who think American Krav Maga is just a fitness craze for soccer moms. We never saw the krav maga that you are talking about. So we have every right to be more than a little skeptical.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

heres a vid I just stumbled across its knife and stick multi attacker, Id never seen it before but it’s funny because some of you might recognize the voice sitting next to whoever shot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g-1eCuA1xo

catapult

quote ari-free:

There are lots of other people who think American Krav Maga is just a fitness craze for soccer moms. We never saw the krav maga that you are talking about. So we have every right to be more than a little skeptical.

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of “fake” Krav Maga going around, like those really crummy videos you posted the links to….

The people here are the real deal and you should have taken the time to learn something about them before you dismissed their opinions. Sean already posted a link to his CV. Don and Jeremy are cops who teach self defense to other cops so there’s nothing theoretical about what they do. Kevin is a badass instructor with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Krav. None of them has time for “a fitness craze for soccer moms.”

Buy Complete Krav Maga. It’s not perfect but it’s cheap and it will give you a good overview of “real” Krav from yellow belt through brown belt.

ari-free

quote catapult:

Unfortunately, there’s a lot of “fake” Krav Maga going around, like those really crummy videos you posted the links to….

The people here are the real deal and you should have taken the time to learn something about them before you dismissed their opinions. Sean already posted a link to his CV. Don and Jeremy are cops who teach self defense to other cops so there’s nothing theoretical about what they do. Kevin is a badass instructor with an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Krav. None of them has time for “a fitness craze for soccer moms.”

Buy Complete Krav Maga. It’s not perfect but it’s cheap and it will give you a good overview of “real” Krav from yellow belt through brown belt.

You can’t just go by personalities. There are lots of other trainers and experts with impressive CV’s with their own systems. They also have to put their systems to the test.

But I will get that book.

quote ari-free:

Totally. But for the most part the reason certain people tend to think that is that they’re stupid.

Might I suggest a better research model. Less talking, less reading, less YouTubing, and more training. In other words, come and actually do some Krav Maga and then talk about the effectiveness. I have no doubt you’ll be able to learn practical yet brutal self-defense and fighting skills (that might one day save your life in a street situation) from various members of the NY KM community if that’s what you say you’re looking for and for whatever reason think KM training can’t or won’t provide.

You can try…

David Kahn at IKMA NYC.
    Tsahi Shemesh at IKM NYC.
    Rhon Mizrachi at KMF NYC.
    Michael Blitz at KMW LI.
    Steve Sohn at KMW Westchester.
    and of course Boaz Aviram if you can get a hold of him and he’s offering classes (not sure what his training setup is but at least from his videos he seems pretty badass.)

And think what you want, doesn’t matter that much to me at the end of the day, but just know that seeing Krav Maga is ultimately less important than doing Krav Maga.

Good luck.

PS — An interesting aside, a knife threat in Echo Park is what led me to Krav Maga in the first place.

ari-free

There’s no KMW in NYC?

Sucks, but no.

In the city, word is best quality schools are IKM (Upper West), IKMF (Upper West/Tribeca), IKMA (Midtown), KMF (Chelsea, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Staten Island). My sis trains at IKM and loves it. All legit Krav Maga, same techniques, same system, different package.

Go now.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: