Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

Re: new gun/knife disarms

Rhon’s school(KMF) is a great school. Tough guys and girls with old school,bad ass Krav Maga. Patrick at IKMF is a great guy as well and even though I havent experienced their training I am sure it is great. Manhattan is a big city so there is room for a lot more Krav Maga schools. Hell just Tokyo has hundreds of Judo and Karate schools

For those who live in the big cities like NYC , get yourselves to one of these organizations & train very hard and earn your belt ranking requirements. I wish I lived in the big city and for those who have the opportunity should train very hard. The Krav Maga organizations mentioned above are working toward one goal. That is to further the martial art of Krav Maga.

rickprado

quote ari-free:

That’s not going to cut it. Here’s what I propose: get a bunch of people to perform the krav defenses against attackers from different styles (eg Kali, Silat and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0). Then get others to try other defenses against the attackers (including defenses from people who don’t know what they are doing as a control). We’ll be able to see which techniques are most effective, if any work at all.

What was the purpose of your post? To try and disprove a system that has helped Israelis survive for over 60 years?

Pressure test? That’s comical! See above!

Do you, as an expert that you are, go to (fill in blank) academy and observe and decide that it doesn’t work or do you actually participate? It seems to me that you should spend more time training in whatever you think is more effective instead of trying to find theoretical answers on the internet.

Be safe!

rickprado

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Totally. But for the most part the reason certain people tend to think that is that they’re stupid.

Might I suggest a better research model. Less talking, less reading, less YouTubing, and more training. In other words, come and actually do some Krav Maga and then talk about the effectiveness. I have no doubt you’ll be able to learn practical yet brutal self-defense and fighting skills (that might one day save your life in a street situation) from various members of the NY KM community if that’s what you say you’re looking for and for whatever reason think KM training can’t or won’t provide.

You can try…

David Kahn at IKMA NYC.
    Tsahi Shemesh at IKM NYC.
    Rhon Mizrachi at KMF NYC.
    Michael Blitz at KMW LI.
    Steve Sohn at KMW Westchester.
    and of course Boaz Aviram if you can get a hold of him and he’s offering classes (not sure what his training setup is but at least from his videos he seems pretty badass.)

And think what you want, doesn’t matter that much to me at the end of the day, but just know that seeing Krav Maga is ultimately less important than doing Krav Maga.

Good luck.

PS — An interesting aside, a knife threat in Echo Park is what led me to Krav Maga in the first place.

In addition to being the chief instructor of Krav Maga for the the IDF after Imi and Eli Avikazar, Boaz is quite a character. I often chat with him about the new and old krav maga instructors that exist and his responses are hilarious. There aren’t too many people around(if any) that know the history of KM from the inside as he does. He was a big time kyokushin guy in israel in the 70’s under Dennis Hanover, then got into KM with Im

rickprado

quote ari-free:

Miss that kick and you are totally screwed.

If you miss any defense against a knife you are totally screwed! A good thrust kick in your chest if properly executed works most of the time!

ari-free

quote rickprado:

What was the purpose of your post? To try and disprove a system that has helped Israelis survive for over 60 years?

Pressure test? That’s comical! See above!

Do you, as an expert that you are, go to (fill in blank) academy and observe and decide that it doesn’t work or do you actually participate? It seems to me that you should spend more time training in whatever you think is more effective instead of trying to find theoretical answers on the internet.

Be safe!

It’s all because of SCARS. :/ The internet kept me from getting fooled by that guy.

ari-free

quote KevinMack:

Rhon’s school(KMF) is a great school. Tough guys and girls with old school,bad ass Krav Maga. Patrick at IKMF is a great guy as well and even though I havent experienced their training I am sure it is great. Manhattan is a big city so there is room for a lot more Krav Maga schools. Hell just Tokyo has hundreds of Judo and Karate schools

I’m from Queens. Israeli restaurants everywhere but the only “krav” that’s in or around my neighborhood is this one little place that also offers Zumba Dance and Yoga…
    I will have to do some “subway shopping” but it’s not as if I will have to pay up $$$ for a 6 day seminar in some far off land.

Israeli restaurants, you say. Would that be Kew Gardens, Flushing, Forest Hills? Half my family’s from Astoria and Jackson Heights. What neighborhood/train are you?

Anyway, your best bets are prob IKMA on 49th & 2nd in Midtown, and KMF on either 25th St in Chelsea or off the G in Greenpoint. If you’re out in Little Neck or something, and you drive, you might wanna do KMW/Blitz Krav Maga in Syosset. You might work/go to school in the city though, so maybe not.

Under no circumstances are you to go to any Zumba Krav Maga. Didn’t know that was even a thing. Avoid.

kevinmack

Boaz came to my school for the IMI 100th birthday celebration. Afterwards me and my wife took him out to dinner and it dawned on me that here we are with someone who was responsible for training the IDF Krav Maga instructors,trained with Imi and Eli Avikzar,was a bad ass kyokushin and Krav Maga fighter and he is sitting across from us in a small bar in PA flirting with the waitresses as he tells us old KM stories.

ari-free

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Israeli restaurants, you say. Would that be Kew Gardens, Flushing, Forest Hills? Half my family’s from Astoria and Jackson Heights. What neighborhood/train are you?

Anyway, your best bets are prob IKMA on 49th & 2nd in Midtown, and KMF on either 25th St in Chelsea or off the G in Greenpoint. If you’re out in Little Neck or something, and you drive, you might wanna do KMW/Blitz Krav Maga in Syosset. You might work/go to school in the city though, so maybe not.

Under no circumstances are you to go to any Zumba Krav Maga. Didn’t know that was even a thing. Avoid.

I’m looking into David Kahn from IKMA since he authored several krav maga books and DVD’s that were mentioned earlier. It’s good to have some idea where your instructor is coming from even if it is not a substitute for live hands-on training.

I noticed a comment that he made that I liked:
    “Feints, which we begin to teach at the orange belt level, are integral to krav maga training. Grandmaster Gidon teaches fighting in addition to self-defense. To be sure, we must train to defend against a trained adversary.”

ari-free

quote rickprado:

If you miss any defense against a knife you are totally screwed! A good thrust kick in your chest if properly executed works most of the time!

What about this? What am I missing here?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbA4nHtOxmE

kevinmack

well…the only thing going on in that video is the guy is doing a push kick at close range with a guy running at him with a knife.
    That has nothing to do with the Krav Maga defense we have been discussing on this thread. The only thing they have in common is that they use a leg.

ari-free

quote KevinMack:

well…the only thing going on in that video is the guy is doing a push kick at close range with a guy running at him with a knife.
    That has nothing to do with the Krav Maga defense we have been discussing on this thread. The only thing they have in common is that they use a leg.

Is this how it is supposed to work?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUo00gU_Q_E
    If this is real then Imi was a genius. Because that is the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

kevinmack

no..I showed you in my video very clearly what it is supposed to be. It is an “offensive front kick” not a “defensive front kick” two different types of kicks which if you trained in KM you would know. An offensive front kick is a snapping style of kick meant to cause pain. A defensive front kick is a pushing style of kick meant to create distance.
    The knife defense that you asked about in KM that uses a kick is to defend against an underhand knife stab from medium range. The defense involves getting off the line of attack by using an offensive(snapping) kick to the chin.

kevinmack

off topic..a defensive front kick is more effective than even most KM students realize when it is used against someone who does not expect it. Gabi Noah taught us that in a rather dynamic and painful manner….not to me but to my student 😉 Here is an example from another seminar at the 1:10 mark. he has the guy walk towards him with his eyes closed. When you are not bracing yourself with a huge pad in front of you and you are caught unaware…the effect is dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYP1DaXQZKU

oh…and it is obvious that the guy in the video you just posted is exaggerating

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: