Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: new gun/knife disarms

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Sean,
    I’m tons of fun! It’s Chris from Burton and Christian’s 2/3 and 3/4 classes at Noble. (You know, “Slow is smooth, smooth is accurate, accurate is deadly.”) .

Hey Chris!! I had no clue it was you~

Well you’ve seen me train/teach lots of times so you have first hand knowledge if I put people under pressure.

Maybe you can answer Ari’s question ;):

ari-free

quote CJs Dad:

Well you’ve seen me train/teach lots of times so you have first hand knowledge if I put people under pressure.

I found this so I’m happy. 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiAh0L8s6tQ

But seriously, this need to be better publicized. Quite a few people out there think that krav maga is only good for the Norman Bates attack and that has to change.

quote CJs Dad:

Not sure when I realized the guy with the shock knives and tooth marks on his knuckles and stories of being attacked at Hollywood nightclubs which speak to the street effectiveness of a certain technique we’re learning that day was the same guy from the KM boards, but what really matters is I don’t soil myself as much anymore when you demo on me. I think we can both agree that’s progress!

As for Ari, looks like he found a YouTube video which validates the entire system to his satisfaction (though apparently Krav Maga needs a new publicist), so I’m just happy if he’s happy. In all seriousness, I really hope he starts training, and I hope it’s as hardcore as the training we get in Sherman Oaks.

ari-free

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

As for Ari, looks like he found a YouTube video which validates the entire system to his satisfaction (though apparently Krav Maga needs a new publicist), so I’m just happy if he’s happy. In all seriousness, I really hope he starts training, and I hope it’s as hardcore as the training we get in Sherman Oaks.

I doubt I’ll be able to visit Sherman Oaks anytime soon but if you had a youtube video to show me what it’s like… ;):

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Sorry no youtube vid but I think it’s safe to say if I attacked Metta any harder today while doing the defense’s he would be in an urgent care unit.

quote CJs Dad:

Sorry no youtube vid but I think it’s safe to say if I attacked Metta any harder today while doing the defense’s he would be in an urgent care unit.

What Sean said. I’m a little tender but wouldn’t have it any other way. Today was an awesome class, fun and intense. In honor of this thread and the issues that were raised, we did knife defense, mainly slashes to both dead side and live side, and there was a lot that happened that would fall under the category of pressure testing.

This doesn’t just mean me and my partner Rob going at each other like animals during say a drill where we defended repeated stabs backed up against the wall, or Sean or Burton relentlessly attacking any of us (which even for a sim is pretty freaking realistic and scary) to demonstrate a point they’re making. It’s about breaking things down into component parts, building habits, controlling intensity, creating muscle memory, reviewing technique, remembering to move your shoulder a certain way because it makes the subsequent disarm more effective, applying concepts you’ve already learned about knife defense or the system in general, and then going at each other like animals and hoping the odds are in your favor.

It was an awesome class that was in no way unique to our school or location or teachers or students or whatever (though having a bunch of like minded people definitely helps). Point is, it’s just hard, aggressive, specific, realistic training. That’s how it’s always supposed to be; shock knife or not, body armor or not, bruised forearms or not.

Favorite quote from today: “I don’t recognize Ow, I recognize Tap.”

That’s when I tapped.

catapult

quote KevinMack:

Boaz came to my school for the IMI 100th birthday celebration. Afterwards me and my wife took him out to dinner and it dawned on me that here we are with someone who was responsible for training the IDF Krav Maga instructors,trained with Imi and Eli Avikzar,was a bad ass kyokushin and Krav Maga fighter and he is sitting across from us in a small bar in PA flirting with the waitresses as he tells us old KM stories.

I just found Boaz’s blog. It’s really long and I’m nowhere near done but I’ve already found a few gems. He’s outspoken to say the least and some may take offense to his criticism of civilian krav. But hey, he was there when civilian krav was created so he’s entitled to his opinion.

One thing I found interesting is he doesn’t believe in the ‘learn to crawl before you try to walk’ notion. He advocates going through the whole curriculum as fast as you can, in a cram course like they do in boot camp. You won’t remember everything and won’t be very good at anything but the principles based on the building blocks will have sunk in and the system as a whole will make sense. Then, with additional training, you can refine things and end up at the same (advanced) point much quicker.

http://kravmaganewyork.blogspot.com/

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: