Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    ari-free

Re: new gun/knife disarms

Great…I just can’t win. 🙁

I was really hoping I’d find a high speed full force demonstration so that I can see exactly what you are talking about.

kevinmack

well if you did it would be called an assault. Most people dont let you kick them full force in the chin with shoes on. If you want to kidnap a homeless guy and bring him down to my school and tell him to come at me…I am down.

and for the record..I have stabbed…been stabbed…saw a guy in front of me get his head smashed in with a hammer. Watched a nazu skin get stabbed in the throat….had a gun pulled on me..watched a friends brother get shot to death across the street from me…..and a lot more. So I am not going to teach or promote anything I do not have faith in.

ari-free

quote KevinMack:

well if you did it would be called an assault. Most people dont let you kick them full force in the chin with shoes on. If you want to kidnap a homeless guy and bring him down to my school and tell him to come at me…I am down.

and for the record..I have stabbed…been stabbed…saw a guy in front of me get his head smashed in with a hammer. Watched a nazu skin get stabbed in the throat….had a gun pulled on me..watched a friends brother get shot to death across the street from me…..and a lot more. So I am not going to teach or promote anything I do not have faith in.

Well, it’s not just about proving it to me. I’m sure you have pretty good skill. But how would an instructor know if someone else can effectively perform the technique unless they use it against a resisting opponent? Don’t you have protective suits for this kind of training?

pinkgloves

quote ari-free:

Well, it’s not just about proving it to me. I’m sure you have pretty good skill. But how would an instructor know if someone else can effectively perform the technique unless they use it against a resisting opponent? Don’t you have protective suits for this kind of training?

I’m not sure if this is the kind of answer you’re looking for, but we have RAM pistols and shock knives to help us with our training. They definitely add a sense of realism to the defenses.

lennykravitz

quote ari-free:

Enough talking, more doing.

If I lived in your area, I would have already visited numerous schools mentioned in an earlier post.

Enjoy your time with Krav Maga. I’m confident that once you find the right school, you’ll just be another convert! :box2:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote ari-free:

You mean kinda like the one I wore during a knife seminar at OC KM? (notice the shock knife)

Trust me I was attacking them.

kmyoshi

quote CJs Dad:

You mean kinda like the one I wore during a knife seminar at OC KM? (notice the shock knife)

I was suppose to sign up for the F.A.S.T. course but forgot 🙁
    Why doesn’t the NTC use shock knives? I just looked it up… would seem to add a lot more realism to the knife defenses.

I haven’t been taught the defense shown in your video yet Kevin, is that something you learn in the green belt/blue belt curriculum?

tzrider

quote ari-free:

That’s not going to cut it. Here’s what I propose: get a bunch of people to perform the krav defenses against attackers from different styles (eg Kali, Silat and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ah_0gia4A0). Then get others to try other defenses against the attackers (including defenses from people who don’t know what they are doing as a control). We’ll be able to see which techniques are most effective, if any work at all.

For a guy who is sitting on his butt reading books and watching videos, you sure have a lot of suggestions for how people who actually train should spend their time.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote KMyoshi:

Why doesn’t the NTC use shock knives?

We do, I have a set in my bag.

eli

I’d be more than happy to do a full force demonstration for you at my dojo in brooklyn. Only downside is you might have to take it on the chin, so to speak: as Kevin said, few people are willing to volunteer on this one…

In all seriousness, Ari, you’re just hitting a nerve. Here’s all you should need to know about krav maga, whether it’s knife defenses, pistol disarms, or anything else: the ethos of krav is reality based pressure testing and subsequent refinement. The techniques that survive in the system, that get taught at reputable dojos, that get used by SWAT teams, Tier 1 ass-kickers, and attendees at rape prevention classes around the world, are still there for a reason. They’re there because even after more than half a century of people just like you, who show up to krav dojos with an understandable chip on their shoulder and a variety of fighting styles under their belt and try to push the limits of the system, the principles still hold true. You’re not the first guy to question the system, and you won’t be the last: and that’s beautiful.

So go train. Go to Rhon, or David, or Sahi’s dojo. For that matter, you can even come to mine. Empty your cup, absorb what they have to teach you. Take what works for you, leave what doesn’t. That’s the essence of krav maga or any other fighting system that’s worth its salt.

A lot of knowledgable people with very little time to spare have helped you here: Sean is a certified badass, Don is a force instructor, and Kevin is as close to a modern encyclopedia of krav’s development as we have. All that’s left to do for you is to start from square one in the real world.

Good luck on your journey,
    -Eli

Eli,
    PM me your info (if you want). I’m in NY a lot and always like checking out the KM landscape there (just know IKM and IKMA, which while different, both seemed to be very good schools with phenomenal instructors). I really like the way you think about KM (not just in this but other posts as well), and would be interested in coming to train once if schedule works out and it doesn’t conflict with your school’s policies and/or wishes. (I try to be a good guest. Pay day rate, wear proper gear, footwear or lack thereof, sign waivers, not pull the “I learned it this way” card, etc.)
    Thx.

EDIT: I’m not interested in participating in the blue belt knife demo at the heart of this thread. Just to be clear.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

EDIT: I’m not interested in participating in the blue belt knife demo at the heart of this thread. Just to be clear.

awww your no fun…

Where do you call home anyway, NE LA? where is that like Pasadena??

ari-free

quote Eli:

In all seriousness, Ari, you’re just hitting a nerve.

-Eli

I know and I’m sorry for that. My father was from Israel so I really want this to work out. I want everything Israeli to work out… except for watermelon and halloumi cheese for dessert.

I visited Israel last May and if I can’t make aliya then at least I’d like to be able to visit more often. While I was there, I ate at Cafe Hillel on Ben Yehudah Street. I did not realize at the time that it was bombed in 2003. 7 killed, 50 injured. That’s the reality that I may have to prepare for.

quote CJs Dad:

awww your no fun…

Where do you call home anyway, NE LA? where is that like Pasadena??

Sean,
    I’m tons of fun! It’s Chris from Burton and Christian’s 2/3 and 3/4 classes at Noble. (You know, “Slow is smooth, smooth is accurate, accurate is deadly.”) Anyway, I live in Highland Park, between Downtown and Eagle Rock. It used to be pretty rough and gang infested, it’s a lot nicer now. There are still gangbangers and hot blocks (the gf and I try to avoid Monte Vista for example), but not a lot of random street crime, as opposed to where I used to live in Echo Park. (The LEO’s on the board would know more about how accurate my statements are than I do, I’m just going off my own experience.) Like I mentioned, it was a tweaker with a knife on Echo Park Ave. that made the decision to study KM an easy one for me.

Off topic (or back on topic.) Ari, the IKMA, IKM, and KMF schools in NY are all VERY Israeli. Trust me, the heads of each of those schools are nothing if not in touch with the reality of the situation over there.

ari-free

quote Metta World Krav Maga:

Sean,

Off topic (or back on topic.) Ari, the IKMA, IKM, and KMF schools in NY are all VERY Israeli. Trust me, the heads of each of those schools are nothing if not in touch with the reality of the situation over there.

I’m currently checking out David Kahn and I am very impressed so far. I did not realize that krav maga was such a developed and complete system.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: