Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    blanker

anyone go any info on this? theres a class very close to me so im tempted to go to it but im worried that urban krav maga will turn out to be another cammando krav maga. do you guys think its any good?

jmac-d66

Re: urban krav maga???

First I heard of it. The skills they teach maybe good but are they pulling a CKM? DUNNO.

They have many schools for this in the UK but only 2 in the US and I believe 1 in Canada.

I bet some of the vets here in KM can give you some more info on this.

quote :

His beliefs are to keep his students up to date with the proper techniques which are easy to learn using the bodies gross motor movements. He has been fortunate to have trained with some of the best KM Instructors Worldwide, not limited to, but including his good friend, Mr. Stewart McGill (Chief Instructor Urban Krav Maga). He instills in his students a simple thought: Be Aware, Train hard, Stay Safe, Survive!

Stewart McGill ——>Stewart McGill, Senior Instructor with the British Combat Association and Urban Krav Maga. Previously a 3rd Dan in Goju Ryu karate and civilian/Law Enforcement instructor with 2 separate Krav Maga organisations.

S/F

blanker

it looks like krav with alot of the geoff thompson fence stuff ect aswell, im going to check it out tonight. i know alot of the krav escapes concepts ect so i will see how similar it is to krav or if its just commando krav’ing the the name.

jl

This system is a relatively new approach to Krav Maga. It is based on the combatives of Krav Maga, weapons, throws, grappling, choke defenses, and the fence. Their lineage comes from IKMA. They use scenario based training.(ie. ten most often attacks in an Urban setting, based on info from the BCA, UK Police Dept. records Hospital records, etc.) if you look at the website they even say that this is NOT some kind of Commando Krav Maga. They do not recognise CKM or Moni as a Krav Maga school. They do however recognise the KMAA, KMWW, IKMA. The lead instructor is a friend of mine. His training was with Haim Gidon in Israel, whose lineage is well documented. He also trained along side David Kahn and Haim Gidons sons, and is a long time friend of Davids.

All that being said, the system is based on the tenets of Krav Maga. The scenario training is a great way to introduce students to the what if scenarios of the street. They do not say they have commando experience, nor have they been in the desert surrounded by Syrians nor fought in IDF Special forces. They stand by the merits of the system as it is. It is not their intention to slam other systems, it is simply a different way of training. I have trained in IKMA and other systems and was an Instructor with CKM and left there once I did some research on Aizik. I believe Stewart McGill to bew an accomplished Martial Artist and a good man. He know what he is talking about and has high praise for his brothers in KM in America.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

It sounds really interesting, I especially liked your comment that it was based on the tenants of Krav Maga. Hopefully meaning it is a principle based system.

Keep us posted!

jl

Thanks Sean
    I should have said that it is based on the tenants of Krav Maga that Imi handed down to us all. That’s what I like about the KMAA. They have stayed with what were the true teachings given to Darren to bring back to the US. I met my first KM Instructor (CAN’T REMEMBER WHO?, maybe Darren?) in 1981 at the campus of University of Florida. They had been having a heck of a time with sexual assaults, and I had a good friend that was the Director of Athletics at that time. SO I went to see what all the fuss was about and got hooked on what I saw. I did a lot of self study at the time and had a friend or two in Israel (IDF)that would send me drills and techniques to train with until they could come over and train with me. Been with it ever since in one vein or another. I believe in Krav Maga in and of itself.(KMAA IKMA) I do not believe in those that have poached (CKM mostly)from the system that others blazed a trail for (i.e Haim Gidon, Itay Gil, Darren Levine Etc.) I find similarities in both IKMA and KMAA maybe just a little variation here and there. But overall very similar. The cat in Canada I wouldn’t give you a dime for(Moni). He has done little to nothing as far as his own Krav Maga training yet rides the coattails of those that did. ( I think my other posts have covered my feelings on this) I went through Moni’s system mostly out of curiosity. And found in my research that he was nothing more than a physical trainer (non-combatant) in the IDF. Yet sells himself as an Operative in the IDF Special Forces. Which chafs my ass a little due to the fact that I have lost friends involved in the fighting and also in the 911 catastrophy. So when someone says they were in the s*#t and were not, to me it diminishes the memories of those that were. Anyway I have a fondness to these people here that train in Krav and love it so, and are so supportive of each other. Your doing a great job Sean, and all of your Instructors nationwide as well. I have nothing but good feelings for you all 🙂 JL

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Thank you JL for your kind words and my personal belief about CKM etc has always been more about the credibility of the individuals and not the techniques themselves.

I can’t really take credit for what KMWW has accomplished with its instructors, I’m just a very small fish in a very large pond.

jl

The integrity of any system is only as good as the person leading it. Some of the techniques have value. Mostly the Judo and some of the JuJitsu. I have Small Circle Ju Jitsu training (Wally J) and found some techniques that work. But at the end of the day the technique is overridden by the false claims of ones credentials. Kind of the same issue KMWW has dealt with for years. To my way of thinking this is what prompted Darren to try and patent or copywrite the term Krav Maga in the first place. While it didn’t workout the way he planned I do think it had a positive effect on keeping the poaching at a minimum.
    Anyway that is my .02 on that. JL

ninja

Hi guys,

I just checked out some of the clips on urbankravmaga.com and i must say, from my perspective i dont have any confidence in the techniques shown.
    In my oppinion it has verry little to do with imi’s krav maga and looks more like a new kind of ckm.

my two cents,

Regards,

Alex

blanker

i went to a classs last night and we worked on choke escape and there all basicely the same as what i learned in the ikmf bar a few small differances, im going to go back next week . i may start a journal if anyones intersted?

ninja

i am!

jl

Sometimes i WONDER

Ninja,
    do you really think you can give an objective opinion from watching a few short segments of video? Read the earlier posts. Then read their comments on the Urban Krav Maga site. You’re entitled to an opinion, just make it an informed one. All the combatives (palm strikes, punches, preemptive striking, elbows, knees, kicks, stance)are all from KM, choke defenses KM, ground work mostly KM (a little bjj here) situational awareness KM. This system has nothing to do with CKM or their leader.

By the way, weren’t you in CKM. I seem to remember a poster called Ninja working with Moni’s group a while back from Holland. Could be wrong, but I doubt it 😉 JL

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote JL:

Sometimes i WONDER

By the way, weren’t you in CKM. I seem to remember a poster called Ninja working with Moni’s group a while back from Holland. Could be wrong, but I doubt it 😉 JL

LINK

jl

Thank you Sean 🙂

For the record Urabn Krav Maga isd scenario based and has zero affiliation with anyone from CKM. or Moni Aizik. However, there will be new info on the subject of CKM and Moni real soon, that will clear up some of the confusion….stay tuned!!!! JL

jl

i should really use spell check…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: