Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    blanker

Re: urban krav maga???

it seems to me,from the classes i have taken to be pretty standard krav maga stuff with 1 or 2 slight changes here and there. basicely all the same techniques just with more enthisis on street attacks and less on the military espacts of krav maga.

ninja

Are we talking about this urban krav maga, http://www.urbankravmaga.com/dvd or am i missing something. If i look at the knife threat clip i can honestly say , yes i can judge this from one clip. This is not krav maga ( eyal yanilov style ).
    Can anyone post other material that prooves me wrong? I would like to see the basics like defenses against chokes, headlocks, bearhugs etc..

And no , i did not work with moni, i think ckm is a load of …

dkatman

quote blanker:

basicely all the same techniques just with more enthisis on street attacks and less on the military espacts of krav maga.

I am confused by this statement. I have done knife defenses (or attempted to) during class. How do I tell the difference if I was learning a street attack or a military attack? There was someone holding a knife. They tried to stab me. I blocked the stabbing motion (say ice pick stab), hit them, controlled the weapon, and took it away from them.

I just say that my experience has been learning things that could happen to me. I have never thought that anything was made for the military and I would have to adjust it for civilian life (forgetting the history of the system).

Dave

blanker

more focus on the fence, the 10 most common street attacks, not so much enthisis on gauging eyes or other stuff that will get you arrested, the law,Body language, no hand granades disarming stuff like that

psyops

If you look at the videos shown on the web site the easy answer is that this is not Krav Maga. I am not sure why Mr. Mcgill would name his system Urban Krav Maga. Free world I suppose. But no, this is not Krav Maga.

jamesh-d30

You can’t judge a system by a few video clips, this is true. But you CAN jusdge those techniques on those video clips.

Urban Krav Maga seems to have NO relation to Krav Maga at all from what I saw in even the most basic of defenses, the punch defense.

The only thing even remotely similar was there was a knee strike somewhere in the technique.

ninja

pfieuw, im glad more people can see these facts. thumbsup
    Another new system trying to benefit from the name Krav Maga.
    The bad thing in my oppinion is that when using the name, but not teaching the system itself, you destroy the reputation of krav maga. With bad and dangerous technique, with bad teaching, making it look like a muay thai and judo mix.:thunbsdown:
    Krav maga is in my oppinion the best tactical self defense and fighting system there is, and i just hate it when people are destroying the good name.:angry:

jl

So by the way some of you are thinking, if it didn’t come out of LA or from Eyal it can’t possibly be Krav Maga!? Right? But if you look at the lineage of McGill’s and the Curriculum you mosat surely see many of the KM tactics and combatives. McGill has more KM training (Haim Gidon) than most of the posters here. But because you see a video on effective measures to use when threatened on the street, that in your opinion isn’t KM, we should all go back and thank Eyal for having the only REAL krav tactics available, right? McGill calls it Urban Krav Maga because that is what it is to his way of thinking. And because he is getting to be an old guy, by default has more KM training than do most of you here. Also, because I am an old bastard, I have inherently trained in Krav Maga longer than have most of you as well. I simply like the SCENARIO based tactics that this guy uses! It is then not a put down nor an attempt to ride the coattails of any other form of Krav training, as did the people of CKM. McGill makes no false claims and does not claim to have all the answers. We all can continue to learn, but you have to open your mind! But again, these are your opinions of which you have every right to! Stay safe, and train like no other! JL

ryan

Well, I suppose it depends.

There are people and entities on all sides of this. Some will argure that Krav Maga is a generic term. If that’s the case, Krav Maga is any martial art/self defense/combat style. If it’s not a generic term, then is it principle-based or technique-based? If it’s principle-based, who’s principles? Imi’s? Darren’s? Eyal’s? Others? If it’s technique-based, who’s techniques?

If you look at the different “major” organizations, you’ll see more similarities than differences, but at what number of “deviations” takes a KM system outside of KM and who decides? Enjoy…

ninja

Good point Ryan. Well let me put it this way then. If i cannot find ANY simularitys ( excuse spelling ) in technique other then maybe the punch or kick, i think i can safely say, this is not krav maga. The other thing that makes my alarm bells ring is when the first thing i think is , ” this is surely not the safest/fastest/most logic way to treat this problem ” .

My humble oppinion.

psyops

JL,

This is a very sore subject for many of us. Because people are putting “their own” spin on Krav Maga because the name has value. This is no different than Moni Aizik changing the name of his system to capitalize on the popularity of the name. So why not call it something else? Because the something else would not be as valuable. Again Mr. Mcgill is no doubt an experienced trainer and practitioner but the techniques he shows on his website are fundamentally different from the concept of Krav Maga as we know it.

I don’t see any of these techniques in any other Krav organization with roots to Imi. So is it Krav Maga? I don’t think so.

relli-kant

One big difference I noticed when looking at their website was that they say their system is “scenario-based”, preparing students for the ten most likely scenarios they might encounter in a street fight. That would be very different from regular KM, which is principle-based, with all major KM organizations adhering to those same principles first laid down by Imi.

blanker

quote Psyops:

JL,

This is a very sore subject for many of us. Because people are putting “their own” spin on Krav Maga because the name has value. This is no different than Moni Aizik changing the name of his system to capitalize on the popularity of the name. So why not call it something else? Because the something else would not be as valuable. Again Mr. Mcgill is no doubt an experienced trainer and practitioner but the techniques he shows on his website are fundamentally different from the concept of Krav Maga as we know it.

I don’t see any of these techniques in any other Krav organization with roots to Imi. So is it Krav Maga? I don’t think so.

this is the sort of attitued that kills martial arts and makes them usless. any martial art has to be constantly evolving or it becomes obsalite not just following the mantra of its founder.

blanker

quote ninja:

pfieuw, im glad more people can see these facts. thumbsup
    Another new system trying to benefit from the name Krav Maga.
    The bad thing in my oppinion is that when using the name, but not teaching the system itself, you destroy the reputation of krav maga. With bad and dangerous technique, with bad teaching, making it look like a muay thai and judo mix.:thunbsdown:
    Krav maga is in my oppinion the best tactical self defense and fighting system there is, and i just hate it when people are destroying the good name.:angry:

judo is part of the genesis of krav maga and is the magor component in the its ground game and takedowns along with all the best modern martial arts including brazilian jujitsu and sambo.

psyops

quote blanker:

this is the sort of attitued that kills martial arts and makes them usless. any martial art has to be constantly evolving or it becomes obsalite not just following the mantra of its founder.

No Blanker,

First of all Krav Maga is not a martial art. Secondly what kills a good system is when other styles adopt the name of an exsisting system, change the very essence of the basic defense concepts, slap some flashy marketing on it and call it Krav Maga! That’s why more than one organization has filed law suits in the past, to maintain the systems integrity and keep people from doing their own thing under the name Krav Maga.

Urban Krav Maga huh? I am sure the popularity of the Krav Maga name had nothing to do with the selection of that title. The videos shown on Mr. Mcgill’s website don’t look like any Krav Maga I have ever seen. Where is the simultaneous defense and counter? Where is the retzev? Look it up! Where are the attacks to the soft tissue like throat, groin, etc….?

But this is the evolution of Krav Maga? How is that different from Moni Aizik’s crap fest called Commando Krav Maga?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: