Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    jburtonpdx

Re: urban krav maga???

quote Ryan:

Nice post, Mario. I’d like to hear what other instructors consider to be the core principles of Krav Maga. It would be interesting to see if everyone agrees. I have mine ready to go, but I’d like to see others. 😉

From what I have seen —

Eliminate the danger and get safe.

That would be the simplest way for me to put it. We could analyze things to death but for me its going to work out like that.

ukm-bear

quote Psyops:

Ryan,

I get where you’re coming from. I really do. Perhaps the disconnect between us as traditional KMAA instructors is that the techniques that are being taught in Israel are different because the situations that exsist are unique to Israel. I am not basing this on anything other than my own observations. I plan on learning and training with David very soon. Why? Because I want to see Haim’s interpretation of Krav Maga. There can be no doubt about his ability and understanding as Imi’s highest ranking student. Also it is my hope that through training together we can stop bickering as organizations and start learning and sharing as people.

The original question about Urban Krav Maga is interesting. James H. has put some of the best comments about it right here in this thread and my feelings are on record as well. I think I know how you feel about it too Ryan. As we are often in sync and even when I am not in sync as I am a bit of a non conformist, I always look forward to your posts. I just don’t think that the techniques I say Stewart use on Urban Krav Maga are inline with any organization that I have seen. So no it’s not Krav Maga.

so what does your version make it the one and only true krav maga. even bruce lee realize martial arts need to continue to evolve and change. If krav is a collection of martial arts what makes it right

ryan

I think it is a mistake to view Krav Maga as an amalgamation of other martial arts. While many of the skills sets are similar, the techniques are not just cherry-picked from other systems. Krav Maga is integrated. The skill sets and techniques must work together and build upon each other.

sch-thurston

This is an old thread that has some good posts, even if it ended up going slightly off topic. In any event, I came across Urban KM recently and since I visit the UK a couple of times a year, I was wondering if anyone has recent experience of their classes. The syllabus certainly has a solid UK street bias:

http://www.urbankravmaga.com/syllabus

I’m thinking there are enough differences between common UK and US street attacks that it might be fun and useful to see what UKM has to offer while I’m on vacation. I’d only be doing a small handful of classes (assuming they let me in, of course); I follow the IKMF syllabus here in the US. And it looks like it’s either UKM or KMG while I’m on my travels, since those are the classes near to my parents. Is UKM worth a visit as a change of pace? Opinions?

(PS I’m leaving the “is it krav maga?” question well alone! I just want to know if the UKM classes are worth my time. I fancy something different on my vacation!)

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: