Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics usefulness of sparring classes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    edsko

Hey

Following on from the recent thread on sparring classes, I was wondering what people’s opinions are on the usefulness of sparring classes. How much emphasis should be put on them? The way I see it is that they are good for improving your reaction speed and hand-eye coordination etc., but I’m not so sure how useful actual sparring is in a real fight. I for one would try at all cost to end the fight as soon as I can, and sure hope to avoid sparring with the attacker 🙂

giant-killer

Re: usefulness of sparring classes?

Of course you shouldn’t be sparring with an attacker. In class it’s done to help improve vision, coordination, also to get a feeling for what it’s like to be hit and having to continue fighting. You’ll also be battling fatigue and still find a way to try and go on.

A real fight might last for only seconds, but sparring can help you prepare for various aspects of those few seconds.

wyatt9696

imo, the usefulness is the fact that someone is actually hitting you, vs. pads that don’t hit back. as stated, it improves reaction time and hand speed. also lets you work everything at once, i.e. cardio, footwork, strikes , kicks , and defenses. gets you used to seeing and feeling all the above as well. it’s certainly a different dynamic when you have to be concerned that someone’s out to tag you. to me, it’s one of the most useful tools we have in the system. the only other scenario i can relate it to is doing 360 degree defense drills. they’re fine(though painful) and dandy doing them in the air or with a partner. add a weapon such as knife, it adds another entire dynamic to it. whether the weapon is plastic or not, it still adds the fear that someone is really trying to hurt you. just my 2 cents.

giant-killer

Knife vs knife sparring or stick vs stick can be fun, too. Put red lipstick on the knives and see where you would have been cut. Adds realism. thumbsup

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

This is an interesting topic that seems to come up often. In fact I had it with La Rev this morning at NTC right before Marcus’s Fight class.

First let me preface my comments by stating this is my own personal belief/opinion and not that of an official statement.

Its my belief there is a common misconception that “intro Fight” “Fight 1” etc are thought of as “sparring classes” when that is not the case. I think people feel like Muay Thai or FCK is the focus, and it’s not. Sure elements of it are being used but at its core we are here for one reason and one reason only – to go home safe.

As such we must learn how to defend ourselves should we be in a stand up situation of mutual combat. By the same token if we are taken to the ground we learn how to deal with it and get up as fast as possible.

Sure MT and BJJ are fun to practice but we are Krav Maga students here to learn how to defend ourselves and apply the principles to situations as they present themselves. Be it one guy or multiple, standing up or taken down to the ground, choked or held at gun point we are here to fight for our lives and the lives of our loved ones.

Sparring is just one piece, and an iatrical one at that.

Just my .02

giant-killer

Sean at the NTC? Sorry I missed ya…

One big difference in our sparring opposed to Muay Thai or Kickboxing, is that we allow strikes to the groin, even encourage them. So, if you are new, better bring a cup…

blindfold

That is actually one of the first things the instructor tells everyone. “Make sure you have a cup”.

For my son I used different techniques to make him faster. He spars in his TKD class and speed can be a great help. He has works on faling paper targets and also with band resistance doing the same exercise. He has an obsession with being faster and stronger. Getting him to practice that is no problem and we use it to get the home and class work done with all A’s or B’s so I don’t give him too much of a hard time.

jay99

In the immortal words of Han Solo “Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that’s another.”

My .02 – Focus mitts and kicking shields can not duplicate the stress, vision, or movement required in sparring. Personally, I think it is an essential bridge from form training to use.

quote Giant Killer:

Knife vs knife sparring or stick vs stick can be fun, too. Put red lipstick on the knives and see where you would have been cut. Adds realism.

“Seriously Honey! We were just sparring. I swear it’s not what you think.”

clfmak

I think sparring is an incredibly important part of training. It engages you in a way you don’t get from pad work or other things. Live training is important to learn to deal with someone not attacking you in a choreographed way. If you find that its not useful, you can modify how you spar to make it useful for the situations you are training for.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Giant Killer:

Sean at the NTC? Sorry I missed ya…

I had to see how the other half lives.. so yes I try and check in about once a month thumbsup

giant-killer

The other half lives well, though, don’t you think? And we got actual locker rooms!! 🙂

Try to make it on a Saturday, Monday or Wednesday and you may run into me. Or check the dungeon below room 1, where they keep me during off hours. thumbsup

paragon

I think sparring is necessary. It’s dynamic. The pad doesn’t think for itself and punch back. I have never once had to block the pad. 😉

That said, I have never sparred. The only classes I can attend are the ones that do strength and aerobics, shadow boxing and the like. I am afraid of sparring because I do not have enough practice time or a partner. It’s hard to practice a move on empty air.

marz

IMO, it will also teach you how to read some one like, what does he/she do to telegraph a punch or kick, how does he/she set it up and if I got hit with a good shot, what did I do or not do to leave myself open and how could I fix it. Same thing the other way, do I telegraph and how? If a technique worked, how did I get it in and would it be powerful enough to do some damage. Basically it really helps in reading an opponent and refining techniques. :combat:

psyops

In its proper context sparring can be useful. But sparring has nothing to do with a street fight. There are tons of guys who are dojo heroes who get owned in street confrontations. If there isn’t an element of stress introduced to the sparring or the sparring in unrealistic, for example a 5ft 110 lb girl going toe to toe with a 6ft 180lb man , then the sparring is useless.

So it really depends on the context of the sparring.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: