Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics usefulness of sparring classes?

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    g-v

Re: usefulness of sparring classes?

quote Ryan:

I’m not sure I understand your point. So, sparring is useful for inducing adrenaline, as well as learning to do damage while absorbing. However, it’s not the same as attacking your student as they wash their hands in the restroom.

So then you DO understand my point. *smirk*

g-v

quote Ryan:

Well, if a heavy bag ever attacks her, she’ll be ready. 😉

Well, I believe it’s you who wrote TRAINING in capitals last, no?

But yes, I agree, it would be best if there was a live partner dressed in heavy full padding that she could attack as he charges her. But then, I already mentioned that with the bullet suit, many posts ago in this very thread. So this is all stir and repeat at this point, I guess.

Later.

psyops

quote vwr32:

It almost sounds like you’re contradicting yourself. First, you say sparring is important but not for sound self-defense techniques. Then you agree that by not sparring, their true understanding for H2H combat will be diminished.

It almost sounds like you’re saying the same thing everyone else has been saying. No? :dunno:

Umm…
    I read my quote and it is clearer than ever to me that you think that H2H combat and self defense are the same thing. They are not. Not even close. Are there elements from both that spill over? Sure. My 125lb female student does not need to know what H2H is all about. She merely needs to know enough to survive the encounter. H2H combat is something completely different. There are guys with thousands of hours of mat time and if you introduce a weapon to the scenario, or multiple attackers they don’t know a thing. So how much has sparring helped? Does this mean that a guy like Marcus or Ryan or yourself could not handle themselves in the street? Of course not! But the correlation between sparring and self defense is really non exsistent.

leejam99

u guys are still arguing about this !?! haha..

lets change the subject.

marcus, what r u wearing to the holiday party?

James

stevetuna

I’ve got a guy that works out with us. He works hard, every single class, but for the longest time this poor guy couldn’t punch his way out of the proverbial wet paper bag. I asked him to stick around after a morning workout last Friday. I told him how much I respected his effort in class, but that he needed to take another step in order to get the most out of his training. It was time for him to do some sparring. We dug around and found some sparring gloves and my old headgear for him. I got geared up (must wear a cage now due to an eye injury) and set the clock for 2 minute rounds. He and I sparred.

It was the first time in his life (I believe…) that this guy had ever thrown a punch at a live opponent. My role was to be a moving punching bag and motivator at the same time. My friend got it going – he was putting combos together, keeping his hands up and moving to the dead side. It all came together for him. Finally, he shifted his weight and extended on his punches. He didn’t get flustered when I’d throw some punches back at him. Instead, he moved and countered. Good stuff!

My fellow officer was a different man walking out of the studio that day. I was confident that he could, and would, effectively defend himself if he had to. More importantly, HE was confident that he could.

So yes, I think that sparring is useful. This guy isn’t going to the UFC. He’s also not going to go throw down with everyone he runs into on the street. The sparring session made him better prepared for whatever situation he might find himself in, though.

vwr32

quote Psyops:

Umm…
    I read my quote and it is clearer than ever to me that you think that H2H combat and self defense are the same thing.

winner winner chicken dinner

You’re right. I’ve been operating under the premise that the two are the same, based on the most accepted definition of the term H2H:

Wikipedia:

quote :

H2H
    Hand-to-hand combat (sometimes abbreviated as HTH or H2H) is a generic term for close quarters fighting, particularly when the outcome is likely to be fatal, as in mÍlÈe military combat or a duel. This distinguishes it from combat sport. Usually the phrase “hand-to-hand” indicates unarmed combat or combat using improvised “field expedient” or contact weapons such as clubs or knives.

~

Combatives is a term used to describe various hybrid martial arts, which incorporate techniques from several different martial arts and combat sports. Unlike combat sports, such systems usually have limited sport application and often focus on simple techniques for use in self-defense or combat.

quote :

Self-defense refers to actions taken by a person to prevent another person from causing harm to one’s self, one’s property or one’s home.

So yes, for me H2H combat and self-defense are interchangeable when it comes to describing krav. It is worlds apart, however, from combat sports which include things like UFC, IFL, Bodog Fight, and the run of the mill drunken barroom fight between two willing participants.

But whether it is H2H or combat sports, sparring is still the best tool available to prepare the student for the real thing. imo of course.

psyops

Ok,

Well this explains the difference here. I will resepectfully disagree with you. H2H combat implies two willing combatants. Self defense means attacker(s) vs defender (s). Two entirely different approaches. I like sparring. It is fun. But it is not self defense. It is not close at all. Is flag football close to full contact football? No! Not at all.

vwr32

quote Psyops:

Ok,

Well this explains the difference here. I will resepectfully disagree with you. H2H combat implies two willing combatants. Self defense means attacker(s) vs defender (s). Two entirely different approaches. I like sparring. It is fun. But it is not self defense. It is not close at all. Is flag football close to full contact football? No! Not at all.

I’ll agree you’re mixing up H2H combat with combat sports. :):

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: