Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Re: Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

quote danielsaun:

Thank you. I don’t understand why no sparring is allowed at Level1? Level 1 takes 6 months to complete I have read? What am I going to be doing practicing movements, essentially katas for 6 months? If that’s the case I am totally confused. KM is supposed to be quick and easy to learn compared to other MA’s. I was able to learn the KM defense for knife/swinging right and apply it correctly in my current class just by watching instructional videos.

Dude, I don’t know what you’ve heard about Krav Maga, but Level 1 is pretty much all katas with some meditation and “chi” work at the beginning and end of every class. We don’t really even strike, just focus on breathing and posture. As this stage it helps to think of it more as an esoteric artform, or, for a lack a better term, a spiritual practice with mystical elements. The reason it takes so long to complete Level 1 is you’ll have to memorize literally hundreds of forms (something like 682 I believe is the exact number but could be wrong) in order to defend against every possible angle/variation of attack. If you’re lucky this process takes 6 months, but I’ve heard of people who’ve been in Level 1 over 10 years! That said, as with anything worthwhile, you’re not truly ready until you’re truly ready. Only your Master (what we call our teachers) will know when that is. And only if you’re worthy will they let you know…

rofl2

danielsaun

Ha Ha funny guy. I just read on other forums from KM students Level 1 takes about 6 months and if you can’t spar which to me means no contact with another training partner/instructor then what are doing just learning the movements for 6 months? I guess I will find out when I take the trial.

bear34

quote danielsaun:

Thank you because I am looking for “fight classes” and real life scenario based training. Right now we only train for a right/left hand punch coming straight on. That’s very limited IMO. How would that serve my wife for SD? It most likely wouldn’t. I like that KM teaches defenses against chokes, punches, bear hugs, because I believe my wife would most likely be attacked from behind or choked, not a right punch coming in like 2 guys mano to mano.

In my experience, people like you are just a waste of time in Krav Maga class. You want to learn how to fight, we want to learn how to protect ourselves. Go to an MMA school or find yourself a bar that has “Tuff Guy Night.”:mad:

Your Level 1 curriculum will actually probably look something like this…

Stance
    Neutral Stance
    Fighting Stance

Movement
    Forward, Back, Left, Right
    Shadow Boxing
    Movement while on the ground

Punches
    Straight Punch
    Straight Punch – Left/Right Combination
    Palm Heel Strike
    Eye Strike/Throat Strike
    Straight Punch with Advance
    Straight Punch with Retreat
    Straight Punch Low
    Hammer fist Strikes (all directions)
    Elbows – horizontal plane (1 – 3)
    Elbows – vertical plane (4 – 7)

Kicks
    Front Kick – to Groin
    Front Kick – Vertical target
    Round Kick – Horizontal

Knees
    Knee with Grab Around Neck – Straight Forward
    Knees with Grab at Shoulder and Arm – Straight Forward
    Round Knee
    All Knees without Grab

Punch/Kick Combinations
    Front Kick to Groin & Hammer fist Down
    Front Kick to Groin and Straight Punch

Punch Defenses
    360° Outside Defenses – positions
    360° Outside Defenses – moving attacks
    Inside Defenses against Straight Punches
    Inside Defenses against Straight Punch Low
    Inside & 360° Defenses against Punches and outside attacks

Choke Defenses
    Choke from the Front (1 hand pluck)
    Choke from the Front (2 hand pluck)
    Choke from Behind
    Choke from the Side
    Choke from the Front with a Push
    Choke from Behind with a Push

Headlock Defenses
    Headlock from the Side

Wrist Releases
    Same Side Hand (elbow to elbow)

Same Side Hand, grabbed thumb down

Opposite Hand (elbow up)

2 Hands Held High

2 Hands Held Down

2 Hands Held Behind

1 Hand held with 2 hands (pluck, elbow to elbow)

Groundwork
    Side Position
    Back Position
    Movement in either position
    Front Kick
    Side Kick
    Round Kick
    Kick with Bottom Leg (during get up)
    Getting Up Safely

danielsaun

quote bear34:

In my experience, people like you are just a waste of time in Krav Maga class. You want to learn how to fight, we want to learn how to protect ourselves. Go to an MMA school or find yourself a bar that has “Tuff Guy Night.”:mad:

I am sorry you misinterpreted my posts. That’s easy to do in an internet forum where you don’t know me and I don’t know you and you can’t read the tone of my post. I have been the victim of violent crimes a couple of times and am simply trying to ask relevant questions before considering learning a new form of self defense, that’s all. For the record I have never started a fight in my life so your read is all wrong friend. I simply stated I have been in about 20 fights in my life most of which happened when I was a kid. I shouldn’t have even called them fights as I was attacked and was defending/engaging.

danielsaun

Thanks Meta for the Level 1 curriculum outline.

You’re welcome. Enjoy!

catapult

You need to learn to walk before you run….

From your other thread “Then they tell me you need to relax with the movements until the last second and lock them in. They tell me you are trying to muscle it because you are big guy and used being able to do that. When you muscle it/rigid you are actually slower” it’s clear you need some work on the fundamentals of proper striking if you disagree with any of that.

You won’t be intentionally hitting your partner in level 1 but you will be hitting a Thai pad enough to make your knuckles sore — it’s not just katas. And if you don’t do the blocks correctly, you can expect to get smacked in the mouth or kicked in the nuts. How fast you move up to level 2 is up to you and how fast you learn the fundamentals. 6 months is just an average.

danielsaun

quote catapult:

You need to learn to walk before you run….

From your other thread “Then they tell me you need to relax with the movements until the last second and lock them in. They tell me you are trying to muscle it because you are big guy and used being able to do that. When you muscle it/rigid you are actually slower” it’s clear you need some work on the fundamentals of proper striking if you disagree with any of that.

You won’t be intentionally hitting your partner in level 1 but you will be hitting a Thai pad enough to make your knuckles sore — it’s not just katas. And if you don’t do the blocks correctly, you can expect to get smacked in the mouth or kicked in the nuts. How fast you move up to level 2 is up to you and how fast you learn the fundamentals. 6 months is just an average.

Do you honestly think that when you are attacked off guard you are going to be able to go from relaxed to rigid at the last moment? I don’t believe that at all. In a perfect world in the dojo sure but when ambushed no way.

Anyway I appreciate your feedback on what to expect in the fist 6 months.

unstpabl1

MMa is not BJJ but bjj is a part of mma…if you had 20 fights and none of them ended up on the ground neither party musta hit the other guy hard enough…everybody jumps on the downed guy or boots him ….guys who come into fighters gyms wanting to hard spar right away regardless of their street record usually don’t make it 6 months…had a guy quit last month middle of class…went hard on the littler new guys in the name of realism. He had a bit of training but everytime he was asked to work tech he balked. so someone did unto him as he did unto others..we’re guessing he didn’t like it but I saw him the other day he told me he left because he was beating everybody in the gym at his level and he had to wait to advance so there wasn’t anything for him to learn..Guess he forgot I was there

sometimes it’s harder for adults to learn because ego gets in the way and they feel they know everything….most times when we start something new we don’t even know what we don’t know. Unfortunately we think we do

I’m not accusing the OP of this because I don’t know you nor do I assume anything. But the 1st question you have to ask yourself is where are you responsible for the instructors attitude towards you. Maybe he’s just a dick I don’t know but respect is usually a 2 way street…Problem is most people assume they’re the victims. If you take real responsibility and find your not at any fault move on…however if you move on and similar crap keeps happening ….it’s you..Either way the personal questioning will help you grow and you’ll find your place as a student and good training partner

Hope that helps

catapult

quote :

Do you honestly think that when you are attacked off guard you are going to be able to go from relaxed to rigid at the last moment? I don’t believe that at all. In a perfect world in the dojo sure but when ambushed no way.

Yes I believe that. The reason we train is to learn more about fighting than the average bar brawler knows and to practice it until muscle memory takes over without us thinking about it.

Look it’s real simple….

A fast punch is more powerful than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to see than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to block than a slow punch.
    A tense punch is slow.
    A relaxed punch is fast.
    Any questions?

danielsaun

quote catapult:

Yes I believe that. The reason we train is to learn more about fighting than the average bar brawler knows and to practice it until muscle memory takes over without us thinking about it.

Look it’s real simple….

A fast punch is more powerful than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to see than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to block than a slow punch.
    A tense punch is slow.
    A relaxed punch is fast.
    Any questions?

Everything your saying is obvious but under adrenal dump I don’t believe you fine motor skills are going to work that well

My instructor, the lead nice one, actually had me test it. I threw my fastest hardest punch into the bag compared to an advanced student who did the relax to rigid technique and guess what? He was a bit faster than me, but not that much. Now the advanced student probably could do relax to rigid in a SD application but he has 10 years of MA training.

I just respectfully disagree.

danielsaun

quote unstpabl1:

MMa is not BJJ but bjj is a part of mma…if you had 20 fights and none of them ended up on the ground neither party musta hit the other guy hard enough…everybody jumps on the downed guy or boots him ….guys who come into fighters gyms wanting to hard spar right away regardless of their street record usually don’t make it 6 months…had a guy quit last month middle of class…went hard on the littler new guys in the name of realism. He had a bit of training but everytime he was asked to work tech he balked. so someone did unto him as he did unto others..we’re guessing he didn’t like it but I saw him the other day he told me he left because he was beating everybody in the gym at his level and he had to wait to advance so there wasn’t anything for him to learn..Guess he forgot I was there

sometimes it’s harder for adults to learn because ego gets in the way and they feel they know everything….most times when we start something new we don’t even know what we don’t know. Unfortunately we think we do

I’m not accusing the OP of this because I don’t know you nor do I assume anything. But the 1st question you have to ask yourself is where are you responsible for the instructors attitude towards you. Maybe he’s just a dick I don’t know but respect is usually a 2 way street…Problem is most people assume they’re the victims. If you take real responsibility and find your not at any fault move on…however if you move on and similar crap keeps happening ….it’s you..Either way the personal questioning will help you grow and you’ll find your place as a student and good training partner

Hope that helps

I am actually going to take responsibility and talk to the head instructor and give him a chance to talk to the other instructor. The OI has little patience and because I am the only new adult student he throws out verbal abuse when he feels like it. I did nothing to provoke this. Even if I did there is no excuse for talking to a student like he does to me. I honestly think he has some serious anger issues and small man syndrome. I am actually the friendliest guy there I greet everyone and say thank you when I leave. I ask a lot of questions, which any new student should do IMO, and that pisses him off. He gets frustrated easily.It’s like he take it as an affront to his authority. The funny thing is when I signed up he wasn’t even supposed to be my instructor the school just has little structure and agenda. Funny thing is next class the OI is calm and helpful. I don’t know maybe he has mental health issues but his behavior can erratic for sure.

Regarding the altercations I was in as a kid, I grew up in middle class America in the 70’s and 80’s where people fought fair. You knocked a guy down you let him get up and then wail away. There was no ganging up on people like in the last 10 years.

catapult

Well, with equal respect, if you think you know more than your instructors when it comes to something as basic as that, I doubt either you or the instructor will enjoy your classes. Good luck finding a gym where you feel at home.

danielsaun

quote catapult:

Well, with equal respect, if you think you know more than your instructors when it comes to something as basic as that, I doubt either you or the instructor will enjoy your classes. Good luck finding a gym where you feel at home.

Thanks. I don’t think I know more than any instructor, both of mine have 20 plus years in multiple arts. I agree with what they are saying. I just don’t think its possible to do in a real SD situation.

But I hope you are right and I am wrong frankly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: