Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

One of the videos I show regarding the dangers of being complacent/letting your guard down:

http://streetfightsecrets.darkbb.com/t236-girl-ko-s-man-with-headbutt-video-clip

Another one:

http://matzav.com/video-palestinian-woman-stabs-israeli-soldier

danielsaun

quote Don:

One of the videos I show regarding the dangers of being complacent/letting your guard down:

http://streetfightsecrets.darkbb.com/t236-girl-ko-s-man-with-headbutt-video-clip

Another one:

http://matzav.com/video-palestinian-woman-stabs-israeli-soldier

I agree Don a lot of Silat/Kali folks carry more than one knife, referring to vid 2.

mara-jade

quote danielsaun:

I didn’t mean any disrespect. Generally speaking woman aren’t as strong as men and what I saw last night in the Level 1 class was that the women were hitting the pad a fraction of the speed my partner was.

Unless you’ve gone to classes awhile, you don’t know what level anyone is. Everyone trains at a different pace. Just because one may not hit as hard as your partner doesn’t mean they wouldn’t make good partner for you. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Take some more classes and feel free to come back with questions.

stickfig13

:):

quote danielsaun:

Thank you. I don’t understand why no sparring is allowed at Level1? Level 1 takes 6 months to complete I have read? What am I going to be doing practicing movements, essentially katas for 6 months? If that’s the case I am totally confused. KM is supposed to be quick and easy to learn compared to other MA’s. I was able to learn the KM defense for knife/swinging right and apply it correctly in my current class just by watching instructional videos.

I guess I could see during Level 1, doing the drills for about a month then letting people do some light sparring, then a month later if ready full hard contact full padded up. From what I have seen KM is easy to learn compared to FMA or Silat techniques. Where I think KM may fall short is that when the attack doesn’t work like you expect, because the world is dynamic, then what? There is little fluidity in KM compared to Silat or FMA from my limited viewing and experience. I don’t know about the focus on proper structure in KM but in Silat it’s everything.

I was already planning on checking out KM in Denver and comparing it to the other KM schools in Denver metro.

Have you ever seen a Level 1 student with no prior training attempt to spar? Search YouTube for a video called “Chicken with their head cut off” 😉

You have to start with a good foundation before you can start to become more “Dynamic”. I think the fact that you can learn knife defense via a video is great, but I would bet my life savings you couldn’t do it under stress with a real knife. That’s where the repetition of KM kicks in.

Good luck with your training. Stay open minded.

stickfig13

quote danielsaun:

Wow I took the trial and man I thought I was in shape, not to KM standards. My feedback on KM Denver, Lyle was my instructor.

The Good

1. Allowed me to fully participate in the class.
    2. Lyle was nice and helpful, but could have given a bit more instruction IMO, compared to my other school. It was just here is the technique here’s how you do and blast away.
    3. It was intense started with 15 minutes of hard cardio and then a quick break, a quick instruction and then blast away with a small pad at full speed.

The Bad

1. The never warned me to wear groin protection and Lyle kicked me in the nuts, not cool at all.
    2. The train at full speed with small pads, bordering on dangerous esp. for a newbie like me. I almost got clocked in the face twice because my training partner told me to hold the pad here but he was much taller and the pad barely covered me on the elbow strike and then I did the gauntlet against a girl where I bear hugged her and because I was so much taller I couldn’t’ tuck my chin and she elbowed me in the face, luckily I am pretty tough and it was a girl hitting me not a guy.
    3. They only allow 6 month or 12 month sign up and wanted an initiation fee. I said can’t we go month to month and they guy said we don’t have a gate keeper to keep track, BS, I said isn’t that what a computer is for.

All in all I liked it and would consider going there if I work in downtown Denver or live closer as it is I am 35 miles away so I am going to check out another school closer.

I really liked the full speed drills, which we never do at my other school, but they need better safety gear, not small pads, for the money they charge.

Dude…You went from wanting to spar the first day to being afraid of the size of the pads….

Don’t discount the females. If anything is a testament to how well KM works, it’s the women!

I hope you find what you’re looking for in a gym. Although I don’t think an “MMA-Self Defense-No Contact but I like to spar- no music-with month-to-month contracts gym” exists

don

I need to slow my reading speed down – upon first scan of stickfig’s post, I saw “with mouth to mouth contacts”… :D:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Don:

I need to slow my reading speed down – upon first scan of stickfig’s post, I saw “with mouth to mouth contacts”… :D:

ROFL rofl2

I would hope Mouth to Mouth gets you some kind of discount?

Discounted teeth maybe? Ha! rofl2

danielsaun

quote stickfig13:

Dude…You went from wanting to spar the first day to being afraid of the size of the pads….

Don’t discount the females. If anything is a testament to how well KM works, it’s the women!

I hope you find what you’re looking for in a gym. Although I don’t think an “MMA-Self Defense-No Contact but I like to spar- no music-with month-to-month contracts gym” exists

Yeah fair enough. I guess I am too new to the whole MA SD scene to not really know what I want. I would like some heavier sparring with pads, just not having the tip of my shoulder bone jacked up for 2 days after trial is no good. I didn’t really have much choice in partners the instructor keep making us switch and I end up with a guy much taller and he blasting 100% in the pad. I definitely agree that doing the drills at much faster speed is good, but it felt like the guy was going 100%. I asked some people in my existing SD school after that and that said its appropriate to go up to 60%.

I don’t know though maybe some more experience folks can chime in what’s an appropriate level of force to use in drills and sparring.

There’s no real “perscribed” force to use. But at the same time, you have to go hard to be as utmost realistic as possible. It’s more of a feel thing otherwise. If I’m with a level 3 student and it’s something from a previous level, there’s no holding back. If it is a new technique, I hold back to avoid injuries. If it’s an inexperienced student, I go easier. If I’m not sure, I can either ask or get a feel. If a partner is going hard or slow, I’ll follow.

Don’t be afraid to speak up if something is out of your comfort zone and injury is a possibility. Nobody needs to be injured.

danielsaun

Sure I agree I was a bit intimidated being new, and sensory overload. It’s hard to ask questions when you have loud music blaring and the instructor goes fast from one drill to the next. I probably should have just refused to continue with this training partner. I was a good example of how well a pad really protects. I actually have a pretty decent pain tolerance but get blasted 100% by a guy with 3 months KM exp whom is in better shape and getting hit on the shoulder bone through the pad, hurts pretty bad esp. 20 times or so. I am thinking at that moment does this seem right? I really didn’t know and everything was moving just so fast.

To me it would have made more sense to keep a close eye on use newbies on trial. We were treated just like regular class from what I saw and to me that’s dangerous. Because I was already fatigued and some of my elbow, swinging back fist were getting sloppy, tired, and that pad not being that big I almost whacked my partner as I got more fatigued. But hey I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to participate and that certainly wasn’t the case 🙂

I wouldn’t worry about getting hit too much, it will eventually happen. I’ve taken a few hits to the groin, got headbutted in the face (broken nose) and taken some body shots. Just keep it clean, protect yourself at all times, and drink water 😀

danielsaun

quote TacticalTimmy:

I wouldn’t worry about getting hit too much, it will eventually happen. I’ve taken a few hits to the groin, got headbutted in the face (broken nose) and taken some body shots. Just keep it clean, protect yourself at all times, and drink water 😀

Tim did those injuries occur in KM training? I don’t mind getting hit just getting whacked real hard, and I definitely am not signing up for an headbutt broken nose where I have to function the next day at work in corp. America. I can’t show up looking like fight club.

don

Unless your company has a specific rule or policy, it’s part of your contract, and/or your appearance is critical for your job, you sure can.

You could have been fighting (mutual combat/training) BUT you could also have been mugged/attacked, you could have been defending/saving someone else, you could have fallen off a mountain bike/horse/donkey/mule/bull/llama/ostrich, you could have had a car/motorcycle/bus/boating/windsurfing accident, you could have slipped on water/ice/banana peel/marble, you could have bumped into something in the dark, you could have been hit by a racquet ball/baseball/softball/basketball/football/frisbee/shuttlecock/lawndart, you could have been bungee jumping and the bungee broke, you could have been skydiving and your chute didn’t open, you could have participated in ANY NUMBER of “more socially acceptable” pastimes, hobbies, activities, etc and had experienced some kind of accident/misfortune…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: