Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    danielsaun

Re: Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

quote Don:

Unless your company has a specific rule or policy and/or your appearance is critical for your job, you sure can.

If I understand your post you are saying it can happen in class, HB accident. That would be a real problem for me, not currently having insurance, but close to being re-employed in outside sales where appearance is important. Imagine me going to interviews with a busted nose or bruises on my face, not good. Unless my potential hiring manager is a KM student as well.

That’s part of the reason I can’t use CCW because I walk into buildings where they say no guns allowed period, unless you are of course law enforcement. Downtown Denver is safe, for the most part, but as you saw recently Denver Metro can get violent in a moment’s notice. My heart goes out to all those affected by the Aurora shooting.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. I think I received what I needed from this thread and then some. Mod you can close it or do as you see fit.

don

quote oglenewinkel:

I would hope Mouth to Mouth gets you some kind of discount?

hahaha

I think it will depend on what you look like… you know, like it’s only sexual harassment if the other person is ugly… rofl2

btw, as vince vaughn would say, “I like where your head’s at” – (my bro in blue, always thinking “frugally”)… thumbsup

mara-jade

Well said Don!

If anyone thinks they’re NEVER gonna get hurt at some point training in Krav, best get that out of your head right now. Hubby’s elbowed me in the mouth during class (of which he felt like crap for days LOL). I changed groin protector brands a few times to get the best one for me. Just because gals don’t have the same jewels guys do doesn’t mean we can’t sing soprano too when we get hit:D:.

From my perspective, there’s training the way you fight and then just ‘taking it’ to make it like you’re tough to others. Resolve is great, but play it smart. thumbsup

don

quote danielsaun:

If I understand your post you are saying it can happen in class, HB accident. That would be a real problem for me, not currently having insurance, but close to being re-employed in outside sales where appearance is important. Imagine me going to interviews with a busted nose or bruises on my face, not good. Unless my potential hiring manager is a KM student as well.

You initially were concerned only about your appearance when you go to work. NOW you are mentioning $$$ to take care of injuries and how you look when INTERVIEWING for employment – those are valid concerns but they are different topics and NOT what you brought up first…

catapult

unstopabl1’s advice to Ryan seems worth repeating….

quote unstpabl1:

SHOW Up, SUIT UP. SHUT UP And PLAY is the best life lesson ever given to me…in the end success in everything starts with showing up. Every adult is afraid of looking stupid. Winners act in spite of fear. Unfortunately to get good at something your going to be bad at it because we learn theu mistake correction

The one thing you’ll find in a Krav or fighters gym is that people are usually much much nicer and helpful than in a regular gym where dudes are staring at themselves in mirriors trying to look hard. Learning martial arts is a cooperative effort. I need you to get better so you can be a better partner to train with. Plus the people your training with go thrru the same fears…most people can relate

So SHOW UP and get thru the 1st class no matter what resistance comes up…then SHOW UP Again and again and your comfort zone will expand.

SUIT UP make sure to dress comfortable, have water/gatorade and equipment needed…if there are people waiting outside the room waiting for the class to begin or stretching before class walk up to someone and say Hi I’m Ryan. Actors do this on jobs it’s called making friends with the set. Why? We’re not inhibitd among friends. Besides it’s harder to kill someone when you know their namethumbsup

SHUT UP means to listen intently and do the best you can in the moment. Talking gets in the way because we tend to start making excuses, try to cover our fears and use it to cover up or get out of the difficult. I don’t care how much difficulty your having trying to learn something i just don’t want to hear you whining about. It cuts into my training time and lets face whining is the perfered tactic of Drama Queens and energy Vampires

PLAY means to let go and have as much fun as possible. We learn easier when we’re having fun and others enjoy being around us. Training is rewarding and not easy. It can be frustraing, scary and painful but its also exhilerating and healthy. BUT it all depends on your attitudeas do all things in life. also when your playing the focus is off of yourself and you send that little witch( where I come from we spell it with a B) of your inner critic on vacation for a bit

Either way SHOW UP and you’ll end up with a group of great new healthy friends. ShOW UP enough and you’ll become the same
    :soapbox:rofl2

kmyoshi

Krav Maga translates to “contact combat” you cannot expect to NOT have the chance of getting hurt… as with any physical sport, whether it be basketball, football, etc. etc. including other martial arts that revolve around contact/sparring. But keep in mind that the founder of Krav Maga (Imi Lichtenfeld) also strongly emphasized in training safely without getting hurt… so Krav Maga is not just go hard and be as realistic as possible and disregard all safety during training.

Thus far I have yet to receive what I’d call serious injuries. The most I’ve had is skinned knuckles, swollen finger, bruised forearm, and a lot of soreness.
    Just know your limit but don’t be afraid to test that limit. Become familiar with things like R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compress, elevate). Oh and Tiger Balm is my friend.

Daniel, you can’t enter that kind of training and not expect to get hurt. I was a Marine for 8 years. I was in the infantry. I got hurt tons of times, as one would expect to in that occupation. Injury is inevitable. Anything you do can get you hurt, including doing nothing (high cholesterol sucks!). You won’t get hurt that often in Krav, and it generally won’t be that bad. This isn’t kid-glove stuff, this is fighting survival. If you are unwilling or unable to take a few accidental hits during training, how do you think you will react when your mind encounters a stimulus causing you to choose fight or flight? Flight may not be an option, or you might have to take a few hits to get there. When an assailant is on top of you raining down blows, Krav will give you the tools and experience you need to forcibly remove him from your person so you can escape, or make him wish he never got there in the first place. Sometimes both. Don’t take this as a lashing, take it as a thought provoking post. It takes some mental cojones to enter a situation where you are likely to be hit. Some people never train, but when the time comes they do great. That’s awesome and all, but it’s rare and a recipe for disaster. Test your limits and find out how much you can do.

danielsaun

I was thinking about everyone’s recent posts about the injuries, and I get bruised right now with light/medium no pad sparring, so I am no wimp. Last weekend I got a puncture wound/scrap grappling on the lawn with a training partner, heavy bark into flesh.

I was just frankly scared when my training partner in KM is coming in 100% blasting simulated attacks when he has only 3 months MA exp. I don’t think his motor control is that good to be coming in that fast and hard against a trial member that doesn’t know what he is doing.

I will probably do as I planned and look at the other KM school its much closer to home and see how they compare. Its affiliated with a diff. org. so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I guess I just hoped that for $$$ as Krav is IMO they would have better protection for students since some obviously train all out. It wouldn’t have mattered if I didn’t have a spaz for a training partner that night though. He was a nice guy just taking it a bit to seriously on trial person.

Too funny I worry that some KM schools are soft and I get more than I bargain for LOL.

Thanks for the help again.

Was your partner aware that you were a new student? Some schools are big enough that it’s hard to keep track.

What organization is this other Krav Maga schools affiliated with? Post it here so we can have a look. Maybe somebody can give you some tips/advice on this other school. A lot of people in Krav Maga know each other. It’s not as big of a world as say Karate. When do you plan to attend?

If it’s under Krav Maga Global, Krav Maga Alliance, or a few others, there won’t be much difference. The quality should still be high, but only a knowledgeable Kravist will be able to pick up on the small variations. I have noticed that many of the drills I see at my school are pretty universal as well.

And sure, my Krav Maga school is “soft”…..when prepping days before a test or learning new techniques. You merely got a glimpse in time on those particular videos.

danielsaun

quote TheDarkKnight:

Was your partner aware that you were a new student? Some schools are big enough that it’s hard to keep track.

What organization is this other Krav Maga schools affiliated with? Post it here so we can have a look. Maybe somebody can give you some tips/advice on this other school. A lot of people in Krav Maga know each other. It’s not as big of a world as say Karate. When do you plan to attend?

If it’s under Krav Maga Global, Krav Maga Alliance, or a few others, there won’t be much difference. The quality should still be high, but only a knowledgeable Kravist will be able to pick up on the small variations. I have noticed that many of the drills I see at my school are pretty universal as well.

And sure, my Krav Maga school is “soft”…..when prepping days before a test or learning new techniques. You merely got a glimpse in time on those particular videos.

Yes he was aware I was brand new and so was the instructor. I am going to look at KM Alliance in Castle Rock, CO. RMSDF run by John Hallett. The whole idea of training close to downtown Denver was predicated on me finding employment in downtown again, I live 35 miles away so that’s far. There are 2 schools affiliated with IKMF? but they are pretty far away. I just didn’t want to post until you asked because there seems to be a lot of infighting in KM between orgs, at least from what I have seen posted on the net. So I appreciate the group’s feedback on alliance. I am not sure exactly when I will go there, in the next 2 weeks most likely.

catapult

I don’t know John Hallett but he certainly sounds well qualified.

http://www.rmkravmaga.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=128

traveler

You should see the incredible dark purple guy liner I’m wearing right now. The wife isn’t too happy, the kids think it looks cool, and my co workers look at me a little different- those that had enough courage to ask what happened.

I told them the truth. My 6′ 3″ 270lb training partner got sloppy with inside defense counter, no pads,no gloves drill before sparring. I ate a very nicely thrown elbow strike just below the eyebrow. The drill was not to make contact.

It happens- not too often last time I was sporting 2 black eyes for my wifes family wedding about 3 years ago. Something about 50% that turns into 75% which ends with a little blood, some smiles, exaustion, and high fives. I learned the hard way why it is so important to keep your hands up.

You have chosen or are interested in Krav Maga not book club- it’s not for everyone and that’s okay. I believe you get what you put into it.

bear34

quote Traveler:

You should see the incredible dark purple guy liner I’m wearing right now. The wife isn’t too happy, the kids think it looks cool, and my co workers look at me a little different- those that had enough courage to ask what happened.

I told them the truth. My 6′ 3″ 270lb training partner got sloppy with inside defense counter, no pads,no gloves drill before sparring. I ate a very nicely thrown elbow strike just below the eyebrow. The drill was not to make contact.

It happens- not too often last time I was sporting 2 black eyes for my wifes family wedding about 3 years ago. Something about 50% that turns into 75% which ends with a little blood, some smiles, exaustion, and high fives. I learned the hard way why it is so important to keep your hands up.

You have chosen or are interested in Krav Maga not book club- it’s not for everyone and that’s okay. I believe you get what you put into it.

Last Tuesday a bobbed and weaved and head butted a left hook. I got cut across the bridge of the nose and under my eye by either a thumbnail or a chip in the glove. It really wasn’t serious but I looked pretty gruesome the next morning. When asked what happened at work i just said, “The last thing I remember is my wife asking, ‘Doe’s this make my ass look big?'” My training partner felt pretty bad but I knew it wasn’t malicious. Stuff happens.

catapult

quote catapult:

A fast punch is more powerful than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to see than a slow punch.
    A fast punch is harder to block than a slow punch.
    A tense punch is slow.
    A relaxed punch is fast.

I just watched Ali-Foreman 1974 on ESPN Classics and it was a perfect example. At the time, Foreman was the champ, was built like a ripped slab of beef, and had incredible 1-punch knockout power. But most of his punches were tense and Ali could see them coming a mile away. He just did the rope-a-dope and slipped or blocked most of Foreman’s punches. He didn’t dance because he wanted to prove Foreman couldn’t hit him enough to matter. Ali’s punches OTOH were just a blur. He kept tagging Foreman on the face and finally knocked him out.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: