Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    danielsaun

Re: Why don’t all KM schools train all out?

quote catapult:

I just watched Ali-Foreman 1974 on ESPN Classics and it was a perfect example. At the time, Foreman was the champ, was built like a ripped slab of beef, and had incredible 1-punch knockout power. But most of his punches were tense and Ali could see them coming a mile away. He just did the rope-a-dope and slipped or blocked most of Foreman’s punches. He didn’t dance because he wanted to prove Foreman couldn’t hit him enough to matter. Ali’s punches OTOH were just a blur. He kept tagging Foreman on the face and finally knocked him out.

I have been trying really hard to work on punching fast and relaxed. I just can’t do it, yet. When I think about it, I have muscled it tense for 20 plus years in sports and it served me, whether it be swimming, mountain biking, you name it. I would just get angry and brute force my way through it and it worked for me. When I recently tried to relax and do the drills at aforementioned SD school I was so slow on blocks I was getting hit. I guess this an advanced concept that will only come in time, if at all.

pinkgloves

quote danielsaun:

When I think about it

That could be part of the problem. You might be concentrating too much on what not to do that you’re unable to relax. I would practice shadow boxing without concentrating on making a proper punch. We often tell our level one students to think about flicking water off of their fingers when they start shadow boxing. This keeps the arm and hand relaxed, while still allowing them to work on driving from the ground and engaging their body.

danielsaun

quote PinkGloves:

That could be part of the problem. You might be concentrating too much on what not to do that you’re unable to relax.

That would make sense since I over think just about everything. Its who I am.

pinkgloves

quote danielsaun:

Its who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Et28kBi1A thumbsup

kmyoshi

As you train, you will gradually learn to control your body better. When I first started sparring, I was pretty stiff and this tired me out very quickly. Same with our ground fighting classes, when we would roll, I was flopping around like fish out of water. I have since learned to breathe better and stay in control of the situation. Yesterday I went to fight class when I haven’t gone to a fight class in a couple of weeks and during that absence I would shadow box. My training partner said I got much better on my feet and I was also throwing and landing my combos much more… train hard every time and you will reap the rewards.

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: