Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    scourtien

Re: Why Krav?

I spoke to some Marines that I know about take a martial arts class about a year ago and they all suggested Krav Maga. I don’t like the gym I find it boring, other martial arts I looked into were dull or like others said focus on the art to much. From talking to many people about it I just liked fighting style (a mix of everything).

I basically took it to get back in shape, build confidence and defence.

armitage

I heard about KM while researching Self-Defense in 2003. I was going to College in London and being a “small town country boy” wanted to learn something to use to defend myself. I was also bullied a LOT at school and never fought back because I was always told it would “make things worse”.

3 years of KM in London, supplemented by a few FAST Defense courses…I now work as a Hospital Security Supervisor in Colorado – and have used the techniques I’ve learnt in many, many violent encounters here. My confidence has grown immensely and I can definitively say that I would have had a hard time working in this field without the KM/FAST training!

kvmorl

quote armitage:

I heard about KM while researching Self-Defense in 2003. I was going to College in London and being a “small town country boy” wanted to learn something to use to defend myself. I was also bullied a LOT at school and never fought back because I was always told it would “make things worse”.

3 years of KM in London, supplemented by a few FAST Defense courses…I now work as a Hospital Security Supervisor in Colorado – and have used the techniques I’ve learnt in many, many violent encounters here. My confidence has grown immensely and I can definitively say that I would have had a hard time working in this field without the KM/FAST training!

Very interesting, if you don’t mind can you post an example or few examples how/when Krav came in handy in your position? I always like to read R/L applications of Krav, I think many here also do.

quote armitage:

Are you still in the Denver area? I just relocated here for graduate school and I too am interested in learning Krav Maga for self-defense purposes; although an additional benefit would be getting in better shape.
    Just wondering where you would recommend I train?

Well I was reading a book “Lone Suvior”. I was reading the part about B.U.D.S. and I tried to do some pushups, couldnt do but 10:(:.

Started training, did it based off Navy SEALS training.

Reading more into SEALS training I came across KM.

Readup on it, did the free trail, and have been hooked ever since.

it has been 13wks since I started and 4wks in KM I have went from 235lbs to 198lbs.

I feel good.

inky

Aikido was a great foundation yet lacked real world defense, no one ever attacked my that slow… ever. after 7.5 years I just got bored with it.

Jeet kune do was fun but I never got my timing down and as a result found myself intercepting in ways I had not meant to. also the lack of a proper instructor in my area as well as the $ needed for minimum 1 year to achieve proficiency… Blarg.

Krav Maga, damn deadly, street smart tactics, real world situational training, explosive massive attacks, weapons defense and the ability to learn at a fast pace. Yes it’s still cost $ but after the pro’s/con’s list I pony’d up for a year in advance.

~Cheers

jaspthecat

I wanted to supplement my Xing Yi Quan with a system that I could apply in a real life situation and a system that emphasised simultaneous attack and defence (something which is particular to Xing yi Quan).

Have since given up XYQ and now supplement my Krav with Muay Thai….

heyload

I’ve wanted to take some sort of martial art class for quite a while. I’m finally in a position that I know I’ll be able to make classes on a relatively stable schedule and started to seriously research what to learn. At nearly 42 I’m not interested in tournaments or MMA lead-in training. I just wanted something that is brutally effective when I need it; as someone else on this board has already said, “more martial, less art.” After the research, I knew that Krav Maga is what I wanted to learn. I thouroughly enjoyed my first class and wasted no time in signing up. I have been learning for about 5 months and am as excited about classes now – maybe more so – as I was about the first one.

mudge

1. conditioning on par with a boxer’s training.

2. direct no nonsense fight-for-your-life techniques designed for the real world.

3. no katas, belts, traditions, guru worship, or any other symptoms of the MacDojo.

4. decent, serious supportive classmates, some of whom are in law enforcement and have a vested interest in the real thing.

5. lucked out and found a great teacher. Non-pretentious, real world oriented.

karlsmith

quote mudge:

1. conditioning on par with a boxer’s training.

2. direct no nonsense fight-for-your-life techniques designed for the real world.

3. no katas, belts, traditions, guru worship, or any other symptoms of the MacDojo.

4. decent, serious supportive classmates, some of whom are in law enforcement and have a vested interest in the real thing.

5. lucked out and found a great teacher. Non-pretentious, real world oriented.

nicely said, I admire KM mostly because it’s real-time uses. I just begun my studies (1 month ago) and looking to be a master one day.

j-millar

I was a victim of an attack when I was 19 years old. Well, victim may not be the right word. He attacked, and I put him in the hospital. Everything was perfect in my favor, and after that, I spent a year or so going through all the “what ifs”. I started on a quest to find a self defense system so I would feel more secure.

I went through several different systems. Most of them were wonderful, but not what I was looking for. I am a 5 foot tall woman. It is highly unlikely that someone will try to hit me over the head with a 2 x 4. And really, how threatening can I possibly look in a Bruce Lee stance?

I had settled on Ju Jitsu. It seemed as close as I thought I was going to get to what I was looking for. My children also took traditional martial arts at the same studio. It was a wonderful family affair.

One day, many years into my martial arts life of mom and student, one of the karate instructors went to California to do Krav Maga? Pre-information superhighway (at least for me) I had no idea what it was, and didn’t really think much about it.

One of my friends started the new class. Our kids were in the same Little Dragons class, which was going on at the same time as the Krav Maga. So, I went to the other room to check it out.

THIS WAS IT!!! The thing I had been looking for. I never looked back.I am so passionate about this. I not only do it, I live it. When a woman comes to class, when we do a seminar, when that one woman breaks down, you know the one I mean, I feel the same excitement and overwhelming emotion I did the first time I went to class.

I AM who Krav Maga was designed for. I AM the woman who walks onto YOUR training floor wanting to hide. If I have given even one person a piece of the confidence Krav Maga has given me, I have been successful.

Anonymous

my wife and i made these to anti rape videos and would like some comments on them . take a look and let us know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9YSVBvaug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXKvwDP1nQI

thanks for taking the time to watch

regards francokrav

jack-leeson

alrite dude, u used to live in uk ??? who was you instructor, a guy called adrian ??? and what level did you proceed to after 3 years….thanks…
    Jack

jack-leeson

quote Silas:

I’ve always been interested in taking a martial art for defense purposes but never really followed up on it mostly because alot of it just seemed silly and useless and I wanted training that would compliment not impede my natural reflexes and instincts. I dont pretend to think I could walk into the UFC and walk away with a belt but I have always been able to hold my own even with people who had “supposed” training (it’s like you can buy blackbelts in 12 packs at Wal-Mart or something). Anyway I thought I had been in fights before but i changed my mind after I was in a life or death battle 2 years ago. A friend of mine got in an argument with some gang-banger (guy 1) and his friend (guy 2) decided that if you disagree with my friends you need to die, and went to his car and got a metal bat. The scene I walked onto was guy 2 advancing on my friends blind side with what looked like every intention of bashing his head in. I charged the guy, he turned and swung at my head i ducked in and cut of his swing with my forearm and shoulder followed up imediatly with 2 elbows to the face which busted him wide open and then i took him down in a solid choke hold. I know there were flaws with this approach but it worked and the people I care about walked away safe. 3 things i walked away with are;

1. I never want to be the guy who loses, ever.
    2. I need more control, i may have killed the guy if my friends hadnt pulled me off, i had a solid game ending choke hold and i was in a red haze of fury. Self defense or no that could very easily have ended with me in prison, and that was truelly scary.
    3. What if i just got lucky?

These led me to redouble my efforts to find some training. I had never heard of Krav Maga but saw it on the sign of a defense school right near my house and went right home and looked it up. Watched some videos and knew without a doubt that was where i needed to be. I’m going to my third class on Sat. and loving it, the rest is history.

Well thats my story, sorry if it’s massive wall of text but once i started it all kinda came out.

Dude, sweet story….how are your KM classes…i do kickboxing and even though it’s good….the progression is too slow. I’m goin to start KM next month and hope it’s as good ass it looks
    Jack

silas

Well it’s been 16 months since i started and i’m still going and still loving it. I feel i’ve learned alot and gained alot of confidence and control. Not to mention i’m in far better shape. I can honestly say i hope im never in another situation like the one that led me to Krav, but i can also say that if i am i will handle it well thanks to having made the decision to train.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: