Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • Author

Re: Why Krav?

Had a nut job try to stab me with a knife while dropping my kids off @ school, listened to them scream and cry all the while, no gun on me that day. I never felt so helpless.tricked him by luck and gained the upper hand and survived. That helpless feeling haunts me all the time now, late at night I wonder alone ” what if ” and I won’t be found that way again ever.

God Bless

superhuman

I’ve done a whole load of styles over the past 20 years or so from the practical like Muay Thai and shoot fighting to the highly impractical such as Bujinkan. I used to be very capable and super fit then I had kids and spent about 5 years turning to jelly sitting on front of the tv drinking beer and eating pizza. A while back I saw a news report about a lunatic killing some toddlers and I looked at my own little girls and realised that I needed to sort myself out if I was every going to be able to protect them. I took up training about a year ago and haven’t looked back since – my fitness has returned and I reckon I’m back to being able to handle myself again. My only problem now is that I can only do KM twice per week so I’m looking for something else to supplement my KM. At the end of the day, Krav is my goal though and keeping my wife and kids safe is my motivation.

stevetuna

Every now and then, when my instructor spirit is sagging a bit, I come to this thread and read why people come to learn Krav Maga. It brings back the reality and importance of transferring that knowledge. Tonight’s class will be a butt-kicker! Thank you, Silas, Internet Ninja and Superhuman! Good luck with your training!

mrjones

When I started Krav Maga, I was merely curious. I could now say I do it because I am in the best physical shape in a long time. I could also say I do it because I’ve become more confident from the skills I’ve learned. If it were down to one thing, and someone asked me, “Why Krav”, I’d say because after training a few months, an instructor looked at me and said “You look good.”

blockcrat

Why KM? It’s because I believe it’s one of the most practical that you can train for. It’s also battle-tested so it’s comforting to know that it will pull through whenever you need it.

mdeaneuscg

Well, since this hasn’t been posted in since August, I thought I would throw my reason in here.

I’ve been doing some form of martial arts for most of my life. I always asked myself the same question though; would this work for real? It seemed a lot of the ‘self defense’ I was learning were cookie cutter responses to very specific attacks. Not once were my techniques put in a pressure test to see if they would work under stress. The closest I ever got to a confrontation was sparring. I also never really got conditioning out of my classes, so I was just a skinny kid learning Karate.
    I then joined the Coast Guard, and had to leave my old school behind. In search of something to fill the void, I stumbled upon my current Krav gym while shopping. I had heard of Krav Maga, and the combat proven system seemed to fill my needs. I came in for my intro class, and immediately fell in love. I got a great workout, learned some combatives and defenses, and then got to pressure test them in a stress/exhaustion drill. I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. To make it better, there are no complicated katas to learn in order to advance, so more time can be spent on learning practical skills that will save my life in a confrontation.

setonkill

After 8 Years Military, 3 in LE, and now doing security work I am very confident in my ability to perform with a gun in my hand. I have had great trianing and my tactics are very solid. With that said, you can’t shoot everybody. So I Needed to improve my hand to hand skills.

I think I seen Krav for the first time on a fight science TV show. I was very impressed. I started researching Krav and found it was fairly simple to learn and did not take an intense amount of athletic ability like some other forms.
    Then I found RHEK was a highly recomended school. Lucky for me I live only 15 mins down the road. I took a few trout classes and i was sold. I really enjoy the intensity of class. They are not all wrapped up in the tradition of the Art. They just get straight down into the butt kicking.

merkava2b

Because I believe in the philosophy that created it. Because I respect its history. Because I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who have a tremendous amount of respect for the system.

My earliest exposure to KM came while I was serving in the IDF. As a combat soldier in the armored corps, our training in hand to hand combat was minimal; but it was also direct, focused, and intense. As the years passed and I returned to the US, I watched as KM grew to be a more recognized and practiced form of self defense around the world. Finally it has come to where I live; and now, after about a month of training, I am glad to be studying it in depth at last. Sore as hell, but glad!

The Israeli mentality from which KM grew is simple, “What do I need to do and how do I do it in the simplest and most effective manner, in the shortest amount of time, with the best results possible?”

No BS. No qualms about where the techniques may have come from. No insistance on doint things THIS way rather than THAT way. No religion, mysticism, stale doctrine, scruples, or second guessing about what to do. End the situation that you find yourself in ASAP and make your assailant pay for putting you there.

tomo

quote :

Why Krav?

Well….I guess because I’m seeing myself age and not as confident as I used to be.
    I strength train and have always been a strong guy. When I was younger (late teen early twenties) I would get into alot of fights, anywhere any time. I didn’t care how many there was or if I got my butt handed to me…just as long as I got the chance to do some damage.
    I’m not that guy anymore. Haven’t been in a long time. One day I looked in the mirror (after getting a torn tendon sewn back together) and asked myself what would happen if I was jumped now? I have a wife & family to worry about now also. Hell, I haven’t even been hit in about 15-20 years….could I take it like I used to?

I’ve got a CCW and do carry but you can’t always get to the gun in time. There are other times that it’s just not practicle to use a weapon of this magnitude. What? You gonna shoot your drunk buddy because he’s seriously pissed and wants to lay you out?

After some research I decided Krav was the answer. So far so good.

lions2011

The system excells at many things but is lacking is other areas. This is a good system but far from great.

Strength- wide variety of strikes. Only real system to address standing chokes and holds. Best weapon defense and deals with multiple attackers.

Weakness- greatly lacking in ground fighting!!! Also very little work in the stand up clinch.

Overall a B+ system

I think KRAV is the best system outside MMA trainning. My opinion. Krav is below MMA trainning but far better than Judo, Kar, Kung, TKD, Akido etc..

hicklinc

quote TomO:

Well….I guess because I’m seeing myself age and not as confident as I used to be.
    I strength train and have always been a strong guy. When I was younger (late teen early twenties) I would get into alot of fights, anywhere any time. I didn’t care how many there was or if I got my butt handed to me…just as long as I got the chance to do some damage.
    I’m not that guy anymore. Haven’t been in a long time. One day I looked in the mirror (after getting a torn tendon sewn back together) and asked myself what would happen if I was jumped now? I have a wife & family to worry about now also. Hell, I haven’t even been hit in about 15-20 years….could I take it like I used to?

I’ve got a CCW and do carry but you can’t always get to the gun in time. There are other times that it’s just not practicle to use a weapon of this magnitude. What? You gonna shoot your drunk buddy because he’s seriously pissed and wants to lay you out?

After some research I decided Krav was the answer. So far so good.

well put

kmky

quote lions2011:

The system excells at many things but is lacking is other areas. This is a good system but far from great.

Strength- wide variety of strikes. Only real system to address standing chokes and holds. Best weapon defense and deals with multiple attackers.

Weakness- greatly lacking in ground fighting!!! Also very little work in the stand up clinch.

Overall a B+ system

I think KRAV is the best system outside MMA trainning. My opinion. Krav is below MMA trainning but far better than Judo, Kar, Kung, TKD, Akido etc..

I’ve never seen an MMA defense for a Knife, Gun or Baseball Bat Attack or for multiple attackers – the focus for Krav & MMA are different. I’ve had the pleasure of sparring with MMA guys and they are very good at what they do, but they are in awe when I take a knife away from them.

hicklinc

theres no end all self defense system/martial arts but i believe krav maga is a good base and then you can add other systems always keep learning

mdeaneuscg

KM, at least in the base levels, is designed to give 99% of people the capability to defend themselves from 99% of the attacks they are likely to face. As my instructor put it “Would a BJJ expert be able to protect his groin while keeping you in guard? Maybe, but what are the chances you’ll be assaulted by a BJJ expert? More likely, the guy assaulting you will be some moron that watched a little too much UFC”.

So, in that regard, KM does exactly what it sets out to do, which is give real people a real defensive system, against real attacks. KM isn’t trying to win an episode of Ultimate Warrior, and be the fighting system to beat all fighting systems.

Also, I don’t know about your gym, but we have side courses that are tailored toward increasing your ground fighting abilities, with it’s own curriculum. This ability to cross train, and to incorporate other styles into KM where it works, is what makes the system effective in an ever-evolving world of self defense.

mara-jade

quote lions2011:

Overall a B+ system

Interesting you should say this considering you haven’t been in KM very long. MMA are Krav are mixing apples and oranges to me. MMA has it’s good points but in reality based self defense, comparing them doesn’t make sense.

Before you ask, it’ll be 7 years for hubby and I since we joined Pete’s Place. I would be the last to say I’ve learned all there is:wav:

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: