Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    vwr32

Re: Gun Advice??

quote downforlife76:

The advantage remains in the defense, so why would you hand it over to someone else?

J-

Um, I’m in agreement with both you and unstpabl1… but I think you’re both missing my point. I never said someone should just run out and start clearing the house. Going back to my post, I said:

They can’t just sit there in ambush all night waiting for the bad guy to enter the kill zone. I don’t think it’s too far outside the realm of possibility that once people have convinced themselves the noise was ‘probably nothing’, it’s time to go make sure and they’ll bring along any weapon at their disposal.”

What happens after you’ve determined the noise was ‘probably nothing’? Example: You wake up thinking you just heard something. So you grab your gun, aim it at the doorway and listen. But no other noises occur. Did you dream the noise? How long will you sit and listen? Could you just go back to sleep without confirming it? Like I said, eventually (if it’s me) I’m going to clear the house.

Just last night I heard something downstairs. It was loud enough to make me say “wtf?” and I wasn’t asleep when it happened. I went to the top of the stairs and listened for easily a full minute. Nothing. When i went downstairs, I saw my dog was asleep. That was all the proof I needed nobody was inside. To further confirm it, I also noticed no doors/windows had been opened, nor any motion sensor lights outside were on. I guess the cat must have knocked something over in the basement.

People’s reactions will change depending on what they have to protect as well. If I suspected there was an intruder, I would feel relatively safe that my dog would be making noises if he were fighting with someone. There’s nothing here that’s worth risking my life over (although i would go to some stupid risks to save my dogs) so maintaining a defensive position in whatever room i’m in at the time is an option. But if a homeowner was worried about the safety of their child, sitting in an ambush position might mean a whole host of different outcomes if there really was an intruder. Rape, abduction, assault… if the noise was suspicious enough to get someone to point a gun at their doorway, it’s likely they’ll also think about the ramifications of not addressing the noise asap. We’re in agreement they should seek some training on how to move thru the house and what it means to leave a room behind them not properly cleared.

I understand the complexities and hazards associated with clearing rooms, which is why I also advocate a tactical shotgun. Handgun is a close second choice for the reason I don’t think my wife would use the shotgun. I might be able to get her to start with a small caliber handgun and that’s magnitudes better than nothing imo. I never said “clear the house” when you hear a noise.. I’m just recognizing nobody will sit in defense until the sun comes up. When that time comes, you’re going to go with whatever weapon you’ve chosen. Besides, in my case I wouldn’t be alone when clearing the house… I’d have my dog lol. thumbsup

mike-g

quote vwr32:

They can’t just sit there in ambush all night waiting for the bad guy to enter the kill zone. I don’t think it’s too far outside the realm of possibility that once people have convinced themselves the noise was ‘probably nothing’, it’s time to go make sure and they’ll bring along any weapon at their disposal.”

What happens after you’ve determined the noise was ‘probably nothing’? Example: You wake up thinking you just heard something. So you grab your gun, aim it at the doorway and listen. But no other noises occur. Did you dream the noise? How long will you sit and listen? Could you just go back to sleep without confirming it? Like I said, eventually (if it’s me) I’m going to clear the house.

This is so true. It’s hard to clear even the smallest building with two,three,four,or even five people and do it right. However without actually knowing that what you heard or thought you heard is an actual intruder(after listening for further noise) most guys are going to check it out if for nothing more (like V said )to confirm that it was nothing at all. Now if I knew someone was in my house and I was alone I would do what DFL said and wait for them to come to me where I have the advantage. Unfortunately with kids in the house I’m going to have to go hunting.

One thing (if it’s been said in this thread I missed it) that you need as a gun companion for home defense is a flashlight. Not a cheap one either. You need one capable of blinding light like a mag light, stinger, digi, or surefire. You also need to know/learn how to use it in conjunction with a firearm but that is a separate tactics discussion.

quote mike_g:

This is so true. It’s hard to clear even the smallest building with two,three,four,or even five people and do it right. However without actually knowing that what you heard or thought you heard is an actual intruder(after listening for further noise) most guys are going to check it out if for nothing more (like V said )to confirm that it was nothing at all. Now if I knew someone was in my house and I was alone I would do what DFL said and wait for them to come to me where I have the advantage. Unfortunately with kids in the house I’m going to have to go hunting.

One thing (if it’s been said in this thread I missed it) that you need as a gun companion for home defense is a flashlight. Not a cheap one either. You need one capable of blinding light like a mag light, stinger, digi, or surefire. You also need to know/learn how to use it in conjunction with a firearm but that is a separate tactics discussion.

I understand where you guys are coming from. Honestly though, in pretty much any house or apartment I’ve been in, if you sit there and listen, you’re going to hear if someone is moving around unless there is excessive background noise.

If you have kids in the house, it obviously adds in a few more variables you need to consider. First off, for security reasons, a lot of guys I know will put their kid’s room in a corner of the house, which is inaccesable without first passing by the master bedroom. This way, you are able to use a hallway or stairwell as a fatal funnel and defend more than just one room. It depends on how your living area is set up, though.

Obviously, there is always a possibility, no matter how much you plan against it, that someone is going ot break in using a child’s (or your own) bedroom window. Sometimes you are going to need to maneuver, but it should be seen as a last resort.

One thing to consider though… If someone needs to go through where you are to get to any additional family members in the house, what is the point of moving out of that area and checking what the noise was? If someone is just going into the living room to get the TV, let them have it. That’s what homeowners/renters insurance is for. My TV is pretty cool, but it’s not worth stepping into a potentialy crappy situation.

Oh, and I did mention the tac light, Mike. I’m glad someone else brought it up though. Absolutely essential no only to temporarily stun the intruder, but for target discrimination as well.

J-

blindfold

Along the lines of the fatal funnel.

We used to live in a townhouse and at the top of the stairs I places a book shelf. I created a very large obstacle. This would allow my wife time to get into our kids rooms and evacuate to the balconey, it also made a great backstop. This is very aggressive thinking but, it may save you alot of time and your neighbors will appreciate not being shot at.

We lived with a second floor and I gave this consideration in my protecting the family plan. I went out and bought an evacutation ladder, in case of a fire or break in. I placed easy to see pictures @ the spot my wife would have to hit if a certain alarm was triggered in our house, to effectively eliminate the threat.

If you are going to plan to protect yourself and your house, plan ahead.
    Also, give the boyfriend or husband a way of letting you know he is home. I placed a glass topped table next to my stairs and would always put my keys on it. My wife didn’t hear them once and if I hadn’t talked to our cats, it could have been messy.

Just think of a plan, not just the gun.

quote blindfold:

If you are going to plan to protect yourself and your house, plan ahead.
    Also, give the boyfriend or husband a way of letting you know he is home. I placed a glass topped table next to my stairs and would always put my keys on it. My wife didn’t hear them once and if I hadn’t talked to our cats, it could have been messy.

Just think of a plan, not just the gun.

I like the fact that you planned it out extensively. A lot of people don’t put much thought into home security aside from buying a gun, getting a dog, or purchacing a security system.

Haha… If her not hearing your keys was enough to potentialy trigger a “messy” event, you might want to have her get training in target discrimination or get her a tac light!!!

One simple target discrimination drill that you can use is just to print a few colored shapes off on a regular piece of paper. Have a few of the shapes and colors repeat. In the drill, one person calls out a color and shape and the other person fires. Not only does it make you think before you shoot, but it also improves your accuracy.

*A pair of binos makes spotting the shots easier
    *If your accuracy isn’t at that level yet, you can always print out larger shapes and glue them onto a bigger target.

J-

blindfold

In a previous life I was a firearms instructor who was subcontracted to large organizations. I taught my wife alot about firearms and then I sent her someone who might want to teach her not to kill me. She has been to gunsite and to chuck taylors schools. She’s pretty against guns but, won’t be a victim. She doesn’t like my KM classes but, she will help me to train at home. She is just strange.

She’s against guns, but she’s been to Gunsite?! I haven’t been to Gunsite and I <3 guns. How is this fair?!

J-

unstpabl1

quote blindfold:

In a previous life I was a firearms instructor who was subcontracted to large organizations. I taught my wife alot about firearms and then I sent her someone who might want to teach her not to kill me. She has been to gunsite and to chuck taylors schools. She’s pretty against guns but, won’t be a victim. She doesn’t like my KM classes but, she will help me to train at home. She is just strange.

Okay. Here’s my take on this. I know you didn’t ask me, but you posted on open forum. You say your wife is strange, yet you sent her for firearms training and want her to take krav:dunno:

I dunno if its a good idea to let strange women play with your guns. Much less have one of their own. Its even worse when you have to sleep next to them. I don’t know about you but 90% of the time, I never know that women are mad at me till like 2 days later. And a month later I’m still not sure what I did:Surprised: Worse during football season and forget about March Madness:beer:. Thats alot of time to plan an attack

Maybe its a good thing she’s not into the self defense thing. Maybe your safer because of it. And as Imi said as quoted by CJ, you train so you can walk in pieces

Remember old adages are old adages because of truth. Things like “absence makes the heart grow fonder” Beautiful, true and romanticthumbsup But there is a flip side to that ” Familiarity breeds contempt” or ” Hell Hath no Fury…or “Theres a fine line between love and Hate”:banghead:

Come to think of it,, this isn’t a male/ female thing. Its a signifacant other thing. Never arm or train the person your sleeping with, but always let them know your a light sleeper, armed and you got your eye on them. You’ll sleep better that way.Don’t get me started on training kids, cause their getting stronger as your getting weaker

Lets see any more wisdom I can offer on protecting yourself in the home. HHmmm…Based on my love life, I’d have to say the most important thing is to hide your wallet and the room key so her pimp can’t get in

Haha… Unstpabl1, you’re as bitter and messed up as I am. My ex-wife was wrong!

J-

unstpabl1

quote downforlife76:

Haha… Unstpabl1, you’re as bitter and messed up as I am. My ex-wife was wrong!

J-

rofl2 Scares me when someone gets me:dunno: Speaking of pimps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfLlGHV1dG4

miriam

Unstpabl1 and DFL:

I thought long and hard about what advice I might impart to you about dating nice women… i.e., how to select a woman from whom you don’t have to hide your wallet, or worry if she’s gonna go nuts on you in the middle of the night, or have her flip out on you days after you engage in some testosterone-filled event, or worry that her pimp is gonna bust in on you mid-act…. (where do you find these women???)

***sigh***

But all I could come up with is this:

Maybe you should chill on the dating scene and take up a hobby to occupy your time? Like fingerpainting. Good creative outlet, you have something to show for your efforts when you’re finished, and much less danger and stress involved.

Miriam… I got sick of the dating scene years ago (right about when I was old enough to get into it). I end up meeting crazy/”immoral”/dishonest women in the real world. I guess that looking the way I do attracts the less desireable elements of society. Haha, such is life.

Unstpalb1… I’ve loved that video since the first time I saw it. I love when people try to act like bad asses and end up getting knocked out before the fight they’re trying to start even begins….

…. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvckzMp-bWA (Explicit language in link)

Haha… Sorry Danzig fans… If you push someone, don’t drop your hands.

North Side Kings are undefeated!

J-

blindfold

As I said previously, in a previous life:

I used to travel alot, so my wife was home with the kiddies. My 2 daughters were familiar with firearms safety and one of them had been invited to shoot competitively. All of our children take TKD and my girls sneak into KM whenever they can. Me and my wife get along great and we are identical in our thoughts of protecting our family. She just doesn’t like firearms. Now in the same thought, she has no problem run someone down with the car or smashing them in the head with a concrete block, but firearms are a no no.

I don’t know why and don’t even ask anymore. :abx:

If you have trained with a significant other in anything, someone else can usually guide them better then someone they can argue with. Hence the reason for sending her other places.

Nowadays we are just happy to be miserable together. :dunno:

miriam

quote downforlife76:

Miriam… I got sick of the dating scene years ago (right about when I was old enough to get into it). I end up meeting crazy/”immoral”/dishonest women in the real world. I guess that looking the way I do attracts the less desireable elements of society. Haha, such is life.

Aww…well that’s too bad, J.

But I wouldn’t let the way you look resign you to the belief that you’re only going to attract the crazy chicks.

I know a lot of hot, professional women who really go for the tough guy, bad boy type. thumbsup

quote Miriam:

Aww…well that’s too bad, J.

But I wouldn’t let the way you look resign you to the belief that you’re only going to attract the crazy chicks.

I know a lot of hot, professional women who really go for the tough guy, bad boy type. thumbsup

I’m quite happy being bitter. Plus, it adds to my tough guy/bad boy image! rofl2

Blindfold… I have few friends who are like that. No problem with violence, but really don’t like firearms. It’s a good thing that she isn’t irrational about it though!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: