Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    russell

Re: Gun Advice??

quote mike_g:

Whoever told you that doesn’t know what they are talking about.

what looks good on paper is nor always good in real life(ie ford’s edsel) i have a friend who purchased a glock in 45gap, he went shooting with a few buddy’s one had a 9mm,one had a 357 mag and the other had a 45 acp, they were shooting at a 55 gallon steel drum(i know not the best backstop), care to guess witch bullet bounced off the drum?, 9mm punched one side, 45acp punched one side and dented the other,357 went through BOTH sides, and the gap BOUNCED off the drum, so einstein walked up to “point blank range” fired and still bounced off, untill i hear more real life shooting info(police shootings), i still would rather have a different caliber

myself i carry a ruger p85 9mm with 115 grain hydrashock, or a sig 239 with the same bullet, if i could afford a new gun i would opt for a taurus pt1911 blue,night sights, and rail, you cant’ go wrong with the 45 acp, if our goverment had more of a backbone and stood up to nato the brave young men and women of our armed forces would still have a 1911 on their belt’s and not the 9mm baretta

i still stand by my statement of a shotgun(mossberg 500 or remmington 870) with a flashlight, or a 38 revolver as a perfect handgun for someone who is new to the shooting world, with a shotgun, pump,point, and pull the trigger, simple and a lot of lead without much training, as for the revolver,no jamming,no safety to mess with and no accidently dropping the mag

this is just my opinion, and like i’ve said before, opinions are like hemroid’s sooner or later every asshole has one

russell

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

lol, yeah pretty much.

Practice or not, I’m trying to picture what it would be like in a home invasion and factoring in what I might experience. If I’m in a position where I it’s time to go investigate a noise downstairs, how accurate am I going to be if I just woke up or it’s dark. It almost becomes a situation similar to clearing a trench (going around corners etc), and I can’t think of a better weapon than a shotgun with short barrel and pistol grip. The Mossberg 500 comes in that variance, but it’s still a pump action isn’t it?

What semi-auto shotguns would be a good option?

tatically, she shouldn’t be prowling around looking for perps. Holding up in the bedroom in a cover position with the shottie trained on the door while calling for backup is her best defense. Let them walk thru the kill zone, not her walking into one or multiples.

I don’t think we can have semi auto’s in LA, but I may be wrong

unstpabl1

I think your being smart in getting a gun for self protection. Period.

I know Mike G and I would pay attention to his advice. My opinion shotgun first, handgun second, both are a must. I only have the shotgun now. Bought it day after the LA Riots. You must train with them and not just plinking a target. Shit can your ex as your instructor, unless he understands Tactical gun fighting and trains the craft regularly.. Developing bad fundamentals at the beginning stages of anything takes a lot of time to relearn. And just because a guy is a outlaw or cop doesn’t mean he can teach you to survive. Like anything else find a great coach. they aren’t always the most expensive. There are a few in our area that will teach civilians what they need to know, not whats PC or cop approved.

You must learn the weapons, tactics and mindset. That way as CJ says you can walk in pieces

Oh if that S&W was a Sigma…Don’t buy under any circumstance ever.

On the other hand Glock is always a great choice. Though Mike I had a SW M&P 40 in my hand yesterday. My chiro just bought it. Back adjustments and firearmsthumbsup. I have small hands and it felt really good. Its grip is adjustable. Felt great. They have a deal now.$50 rebate and two free mags. It was like $430. I may lay it away

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

tatically, she shouldn’t be prowling around looking for perps. Holding up in the bedroom in a cover position with the shottie trained on the door while calling for backup is her best defense. Let them walk thru the kill zone, not her walking into one or multiples.

I don’t think we can have semi auto’s in LA, but I may be wrong

Wasn’t really referring to her situation in particular regarding the semi-auto shotgun… she’s already said she’d prefer a handgun, so i’m one of those who advocates going with what you’re most comfortable with as a starting point. Maybe later she’ll see the need for a shotgun, maybe she’ll be satisfied with the handgun. Not my call.

Tactically, you’re right that it’s probably *safest* for the gun owner to remain holed up in the bedroom until the police arrive. Realistically, I doubt most people will leave loved ones to fend for themselves elsewhere in the house in the event of a break-in, or call the police every time they hear a bump in the night. At some point, (we each have our own stories), people will *think* they’ve heard something… but not sure enough to dial 911. They can’t just sit there in ambush all night waiting for the bad guy to enter the kill zone. I don’t think it’s too far outside the realm of possibility that once people have convinced themselves the noise was ‘probably nothing’, it’s time to go make sure and they’ll bring along any weapon at their disposal.

If the possibility exists for having to move thru the house, i’d much rather have a tactical shotgun than a full length one. If I didn’t like the idea of a tactical shotgun, then i’d opt for a pistol before a full length shotgun. For me, having a full sized shotgun for home defense would be like trying to use a spear in an elevator. There’s just better options imo.

Might have to look into that S&W special you were talking about. My wife is going out of town next week so that might be a good time to get the credit card out. thumbsup

unstpabl1

V said it more for her to think about tactics. Though I don’t know crap, I have some really good advisors on this stuff. I totally understand her hesitancy about the shotgun and figure she’ll get a handgun rergardless. Even could argue her case for her. With that said tactical shotgun is the better choice for home defence. Most bang for the buck

More important is that she realizes Tactics and mindset are a big piece of the puzzle and finds proper instruction. Not target plinking. I have some good resources here. Most people seem to buy a gun go to the range once or twice and put it in a drawer. Never think of the tactics ever.

Its funny I know a few trainers for their depts and everyone of them has these great horror stories of cops coming in to requalify. My favorite was a detective who fired his revolver to qualify and nothing happened. The trainer looked to see what was wrong and there was no bullets in the gun. it gets worse. The last time the detective did anything with the gun was at his last qualification the year before. So for a year he was working with an unloaded gun and never knew it

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

So for a year he was working with an unloaded gun and never knew it

In this case, that’s probably for the best. rofl2

When my dad died, my mom asked what I thought of her getting a handgun. I said it would be great if she planned on learning how to use it and actually kept it in a location where she might be able to get to it quickly. We agreed her getting a dog was a better option so now she has a doberman. It has already paid off once for her.

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

Might have to look into that S&W special you were talking about. My wife is going out of town next week so that might be a good time to get the credit card out. thumbsup

I’m reading up on it online at the moment. People seem to like it.

miriam

quote unstpabl1:

I think your being smart in getting a gun for self protection. Period.

I know Mike G and I would pay attention to his advice. My opinion shotgun first, handgun second, both are a must. I only have the shotgun now. Bought it day after the LA Riots. You must train with them and not just plinking a target. Shit can your ex as your instructor, unless he understands Tactical gun fighting and trains the craft regularly.. Developing bad fundamentals at the beginning stages of anything takes a lot of time to relearn. And just because a guy is a outlaw or cop doesn’t mean he can teach you to survive. Like anything else find a great coach. they aren’t always the most expensive. There are a few in our area that will teach civilians what they need to know, not whats PC or cop approved.

You must learn the weapons, tactics and mindset. That way as CJ says you can walk in pieces

Oh if that S&W was a Sigma…Don’t buy under any circumstance ever.

On the other hand Glock is always a great choice. Though Mike I had a SW M&P 40 in my hand yesterday. My chiro just bought it. Back adjustments and firearmsthumbsup. I have small hands and it felt really good. Its grip is adjustable. Felt great. They have a deal now.$50 rebate and two free mags. It was like $430. I may lay it away

Most of the advice I have received both on and off the forum is to get a shotgun. I’m still thinking about it…. NOt sure if the S&W was a Sigma, but if I do go for a handgun, I think the 9mm Glock seems to be the most recommended one.

quote unstpabl1:

Lucky – or unlucky for me, depending on how you see it – is that the configuration of my apt is one, long rectangle with the living room at the front and my bedroom all the way in the back. While there are two doors to my place (front and a side one off the laundry/service porch area), there’s only one way into my bedroom, which is down a long hallway. Off of the hallway, there are three other rooms. Therefore, if I heard something and thought I had an intruder, I sure as heck wouldn’t institute any kind of sweep and shoot inspection, since the person could leap out from any of the other rooms. I’d just call 911 and wait… and if I end up getting a gun, I’d have it loaded and aimed the door. I don’t believe there is a serious danger of being surprised by someone breaking in through the windows in my bedroom. They are glass loeuvers (those old things from the 50s or 60s that tilt open and closed). While they may be easier to get into in terms of being able to force them open, actually getting IN beyond that would require either sliding a number of the panes out or breaking them to create enough space to fit a body through. It couldn’t be done silently, and if I was home, I’d hear ’em coming. As would my 2 guard and attack cats.

Again, many, many thanks for the advice. And if you guys are in LA and ever want to go practice shoot, PM me. Downforlife said he knows of a good place where I could train/learn, so that’s cool!!!

unstpabl1

quote Miriam:

Most of the advice I have received both on and off the forum is to get a shotgun. I’m still thinking about it…. NOt sure if the S&W was a Sigma, but if I do go for a handgun, I think the 9mm Glock seems to be the most recommended one.

Again, many, many thanks for the advice. And if you guys are in LA and ever want to go practice shoot, PM me. Downforlife said he knows of a good place where I could train/learn, so that’s cool!!!

If you go to a good instructor he’ll help you pick out a good solid weapon that fits. I know a few guys who’ve switched to the S&W M&P because it fit their hand better and they were more accurate because of it. My chiro was one. Small hands. The advantage of going to a range is you can try the weapons out by renting them. Its a relationship, so like a boyfriend you gotta test it out a bit to figure out if its a PIA that a friend recommended:dunno:

giant-killer

quote Miriam:

And if you guys are in LA and ever want to go practice shoot, PM me. Downforlife said he knows of a good place where I could train/learn, so that’s cool!!!

A while ago, a bunch of us went to Burro Canyon shooting part with a company called “American Defense Enterprises”. A fellow KM student is a firearms teacher there. This was fun, we even went into a shoot house (entering and clearing rooms). We also learned shooting while walking etc.

This course was for beginners and intermediate. They have classes all the time, also at LAX range (you could google them). If we got enough people together, maybe we can go again with an all NTC crowd. Last time we were maybe 8 or 10 or so. I should go back before I forget everything…

alamocitykid

Many interesting postings on this thread. As soon as the SoCal weather clears up, I’m going to schedule a trip to L.A. to meet and train with y’all.

miriam

quote unstpabl1:

Its a relationship, so like a boyfriend you gotta test it out a bit to figure out if its a PIA that a friend recommended:dunno:

Well, that’s an interesting analogy. I understand the need to try out different guns out in order to find the right fit and get experience before choosing one… but, are you suggesting that same approach be applied in selecting a boyfriend? :OhMy::Surprised: Hmmm…I think you may be trying to suggest some questionable behavior!! rofl2

mike-g

Yeah Mike the M&P is a good gun. It has good ergonomics and one of the best features is that you can change the grip size with the included backstrap inserts. I don’t like how the trigger pull feels when it comes from the factory but that can be fixed. It’s not bad, just not as crisp as I’m used to on my other guns. Anyway brand new it is definitely more cost efficient than a Glock and most other polymer framed handguns. Funny you mentioned the Sigma. I remember when it first came out the joke was” Sigma the Bastard gun…for those that couldn’t afford a Glock”. It really didn’t shoot that bad but I didn’t much care for it.

unstpabl1

quote Miriam:

Well, that’s an interesting analogy. I understand the need to try out different guns out in order to find the right fit and get experience before choosing one… but, are you suggesting that same approach be applied in selecting a boyfriend? :OhMy::Surprised: Hmmm…I think you may be trying to suggest some questionable behavior!! rofl2

I’m a guy, so you’d have to explain questionable behavior to me. It doesn’t really compute:wav:

unstpabl1

quote mike_g:

Yeah Mike the M&P is a good gun. It has good ergonomics and one of the best features is that you can change the grip size with the included backstrap inserts. I don’t like how the trigger pull feels when it comes from the factory but that can be fixed. It’s not bad, just not as crisp as I’m used to on my other guns. Anyway brand new it is definitely more cost efficient than a Glock and most other polymer framed handguns. Funny you mentioned the Sigma. I remember when it first came out the joke was” Sigma the Bastard gun…for those that couldn’t afford a Glock”. It really didn’t shoot that bad but I didn’t much care for it.

on the other board the guys were really down on the Sigma. Pretty much every step of the way. Their giving away Sigmas like in the $270 range. One deal I heard was Buy an M&P, get a sigma for $99 more. Unreliability was the major complaint.

They were also saying that the trigger worked itself out 200 rds or so in and got crisper on the M&P. With the strike I’ll probably hold pat, but I’m definitely considering it. As always I appreciate your help

mike

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: